Repentance from above!

march10k

So my vow for September is to complete the missing four members of the seventh squad of the fifth company. I have been slowly working on the squad since May, mainly as a diversion to break up the monotony of other projects, waiting for the next codex before I decide on things like special weapons and sergeant loadout. As things stand now, I would probably go with power sword and meltabombs on the sergeant, no plasma. In any case, I'll make four more generic jumpers to complete a codex-legal ten man squad of assault marines...and if the photos don't show the squad markings on three of them, we'll just assume that it's NOT because those turned-away-from-the-camera shoulders have an eight, not a seven on them. I was going to bluestuff the seven-marked pads in place, but why bother? The eigth squad will be a future vow, so the shenanigans will be irrelevant in the larger picture of both squads in their final form having been completed during the six month event. I suppose an alternative would be simply not to paint the squad number on in the interim, but I trust that the inner circle is magnanimous enough to agree that it's the painting that matters, not how I organize the models later on!

With that, I give you the "before" pictures, consisting of the six squad members who were previously finished (one of them just a day before the challenge began!), and the sprue for the four members yet to be painted:

gallery_13203_846_562801.jpg

gallery_13203_846_276714.jpg

Notice that all of the heads are the same...I raided my existing squads for them, painting a replacement at the same time that I was painting the jumper who was "inheriting" the beak. The last three will be virgin beak heads from the upgrade sprue, though, and the 8th squad may end up without beaks...I just don't have twenty of them! Maybe they'll all be bare-headed....

Okay...here's were I am at the end of my first painting session...one model cut out, first coat of DA green on the legs, torso, and arms. Oh, and the jump pack is assembled... Tomorrow, I'll finish the legs and do the base. Maybe a coat of DA green on the shoulder pads, head, and jump pack?

gallery_13203_846_327810.jpg

Good luck - it will all be worth it to have that squad completed. :)

And the beaky helm is one of my favourites too.

The chapter badge is in fact freehand. I kind of think it's a bit too impressionist, but I keep doing the same one for the sake of consistency. I'll get a better shot of it. In the meantime, here's my progress on jumper number seven, a bit more than I predicted last night, and a lot less than I thought I'd be up to a few hours ago:

gallery_13203_846_354110.jpg

Got jumper number seven mounted, did a little more on various parts, including highlighting the shoulder pads. Everything except the highlights is also done on the sword arm and the backpack...so the remaining heavy work is freehanding the shoulder pad icons. The base also needs its vegetation clumps.

gallery_13203_846_634350.jpg

If you look closely at the previous WIP pic, you'll notice that the sword arm and pistol arm are the same side, DOH! So today, I painted up a sword arm from scratch for my jumper number seven, as well as doing the chapter icon shoulder pad and the vegetation on the base...I also clipped out the next model. I think I'll give the sergeant for this squad a power sword and combat shield, should be good for challenges even against power sword toting enemy sergeants...the advantage being that I get a 5+ save and he gets none...Maybe squad 8 will have three plasma pistols and a power sword, but this one will be no upgrades except the sergeant's sword'n'shield.

gallery_13203_846_69093.jpg

/edit/ just noticed that there's no head in the pic...better go clip it from the upgrade sprue, it'll be the beaky one with the winged sword on the forehead...

...and then there were seven.

gallery_13203_846_45976.jpg

I just clipped the sword and shield for my sergeant. How maddening that the combat shield from the DA upgrade sprue and the winged power sword from the RW sprue are both left arms...I had to go with the less impressive sword from the same sprue as the combat shield...

Well, jumper number eight is moving along. I just need to highlight the anterior face of the pistol arm before mounting it. The jump pack needs highlighting and the skull on the back done. The helmet is barely started, same with the shoulder pads...so maybe I'll be able to finish tomorrow night. Bad thing is, a package with a WFB project in it showed up on my doorstep yesterday...ah, the temptation! Good thing I have three weeks to finish this jumper and two more...I might be splitting my time!

gallery_13203_846_564546.jpg

So I'm too tired to take a pic, but everything's done on jumper number eight, except for the shoulder pads. Those are highlighted, but still need the chapter and squad badges. The first step in the DA badge (outlining it in ceramite white) is done, it'll take two more steps to finish, and then it's on to the squad badge...those 4-way arrows are a pain!

Okay, so jumper number eight just needs his squad badge...maybe tomorrow. I think I'll do the sergeant next, before the last jumper. I changed my mind about a combat shield, when did they get nerfed from a 5++ to only a 6++? I wouldn't drop the boltpistol for a 6++ if it were free! I'm certainly not paying ten points for it...

gallery_13203_846_570140.jpg

We traded our 5++ combat shields for the 3++ storm shields. It happened in the same FAQ.

Edit: Okay it's bad wording. The same FAQ where the storm shields when from 4++ in close combat only to 3++ all the time is the same FAQ where our combat shields went from 5++ to 6++. I consider it a good trade.

You take a Combat Shield in addition to other equipment, you don't replace anything with it. The Combat Shield still allows you to get the additional +1A for two CCWs.

Your squad is looking very nice, march10k! I really like the "bird of prey" appearance the all beakie helmets gives it.

Indeed combat shields have bolter's inbuilt them (you can check latest cast like command squad sprue, so technically older combatshields without pistols can be fielded as stormshields) you can get ccw + pistol bonus with it. I love how those guy look, albeit their points make me shiver and I rather take my kitted BA jump unit for same points as allies, than naked DA jumpers. But I love the paint job. Keep it up cool work. For 5 points with 6++ is still giving fighting change for your sergeant against fists and such.

For 5 points with 6++ is still giving fighting change for your sergeant against fists and such.

...except that a combat shield costs 10 points...so it would break even if the sergeant's total cost, including shield, was 60 points...at 5 points, sure, the shield alone brings the sergeant to 30, so it's a no-brainer...but ten points is too much!

Anyway, jumper number eight is done!

gallery_13203_846_241787.jpg

...so, I've started the sergeant. Power sword and pistol, I guess. Not much is done, outside of his sword arm. I aim to get his legs done and mounted by the end of the weekend, but I do have a take-home test to finish...

/edit/

here we are

gallery_13203_846_643125.jpg

Okay, so here's the sergeant in his bath of flock...still needs shoulder pad iconography, and his jump pack is barely half done...so tomorrow? And jumper number nine is clipped, trimmed, and has his chest and jump pack assembled...the green paint on his helmet was done the same time as the sergeant's... With barely over one model to go, I'm actually feeling time pressure...my mom is coming to see her grandsons on Saturday, and staying for eight days...pretty sure I won't get much painting done, so I've really got the three days between now and her arrival...plus the day after she departs, and then it's October. Man....and I have some house cleaning to do in the next few days, so the last model may have to be rushed out on the 30th!

gallery_13203_846_389549.jpg

March I like their look very much, but you seem to have overdone it with the eyes (or is it the pic?). I know how it is i had the same problem, red just wouldn't apply and I ended up with paint filled eyes.

Try to apply the paint and despite its looks wash it, let it dry and give it a small (I stress it SMALL) coat of varnish If you have it in a pot with the tip of the brush. It will alllow the colour and the wash to meld and give it the shiny look of lenses.

Archived