Killing mephiston

DominicJ

A dc unit with a couple of power axes or fists. Just decline challenge from Mephiston with your RAS. Sternguard rapid fire poison ammo will ignore his toughness 6. Melta works great too. Soften him up with some lascannon shots. He has no invul save. Any high strength ap1/2 will shave off wounds in a reliable fashion.

Killing Mephiston..... Humm... Look at his profile find out what else is close to his point cost and work out what would kill that. Then look at his stats to see if it's a viable option then apply that method. If the first method doesn't work find the next comparable unit to compare against and repeat. Telling you more just takes the fun and learning curve out of the game.

Ummm.... any PF or TH Terminator. Really simple. Allied Lysander is awesome here. (well.... awesome in general)

To 'catch' him, use a 5-man combat squad RAS with Sarge to fix Mephiston in place for 2 phases (one from challenge, one to kill the 4 dudes). Should be enough time to get Terminators over to him. You'll need to be the one to charge him with this ambush unit-- if he charges them, he'll kill the Sarge in his turn, kill the dudes in your turn, then fly away again.

EDIT: Of course you can just bring Mephiston to fight himself. They could potentially fix each other for quite awhile... would come down to whoever lands that first force weapon.

Killing Mephiston..... Humm... Look at his profile find out what else is close to his point cost and work out what would kill that. Then look at his stats to see if it's a viable option then apply that method. If the first method doesn't work find the next comparable unit to compare against and repeat. Telling you more just takes the fun and learning curve out of the game.
+1

Genestealers don't. Dropping the wall of a hive city on him won't work either.

Basically, anything in the game can kill Meph. And anything i nthe game may fail to kill him. Try different things out.

I've had Venom Spam take out Mephiston in my games against Dark Eldar. There really wasn't a whole lot I could do there, just move towards them as quickly as possible, attempt to charge, etc, but they were maneuverable enough to run away, and shooty enough to kill him in a few rounds. You can only roll so many 2+ saves...

As mentioned, some monsters with same point cost.

That includes, greater daemons, terminators with thunderhammers and shields... Lots of shooting.

The reason he still is played quite a lot (while his Force Sword has been nerved) is that he handle handle a lot of dmg and still curbstomp.

From experience, 50-ish missiles from a missile spam space wolf list can take him out first turn:P But in all seriousness, I'm thinking plasma is going to be the new thing this edition instead of melta, though both will take him out pretty fast as will any ap1 or ap 2 high str weapons.

As mentioned, some monsters with same point cost.

That includes, greater daemons, terminators with thunderhammers and shields... Lots of shooting.

Well, monsters are a rather bad choice usually, as they often dont have a 2+ armor and Mephi will just instagib them with his force sword before they can strike.

Plasma and such should work well, as long as he doesn't have FnP or boosts himself to T9 with biomancy.. THEN it gets ugly <_<

Dangerous Terrain. Or perils. He can auto-kill himself over the course of the game with bad dice.
Gotta roll a 1 to fail the dangerous terrain check, and then fail a 2+ armor save. Pretty rare.

For perils of the warp, you have a 5.6% chance to peril anytime you cast. He can easily suffer 2 perils (or 3 with bad dice) in a game since He casts so much, but probably not more than that. That's why I rarely activate Sanguine Sword since he doesn't need it most of the time anyhow. However, Tyranids Shadow in the Warp and Eldar Runes of Warding severely mitigate old Mephiston, no doubt.

Dangerous Terrain. Or perils. He can auto-kill himself over the course of the game with bad dice.

If you want to kill him yourself, TH&SS terminators work wonders. As does anything with a decent invul and AP2 weapon.

Wouldn't any terminators be a good choice? Mephiston is ap3 because he has a sword so you save on a 2+, and who cares if it's a force weapon when you have 1 wound? Power fists will work as well as thunder hammers, with the exception of not being concussive (which I can't really see as being much an issue, although striking simultaneously is nice on subsequent rounds). T9 Mephiston is a bit more of an issue, but TH&SS changes nothing to that.

Meph is the king of going through anything non elite. It covers 75% of the enemy force generally so that's why he's such a big threat. The counter to him hasn't changed much as Terminators were great for mullering him anyway. Anything with access to Inv saves and power weapons has the chance to blunt his advance and then dish out hurt as he is sans inv save.

Challenges make trying to mob him in combat a bit pointless, doesn't leave much else i can think of?

How is mephiston challenging when he is not an IC or am I missing something? (no rulebook yet have to call my friends every 5 seconds). Also if your asking from the standpoint of BAs id say sang guard with some fists and plasma pistols works nicely.

Mephiston is a Character. The new FAQ posted by GW last night finally solved that problem.

Any unique Special Named model is a Character. Sanguinor, DC Tycho, Bjorn Fellhanded (the only Vehicle which is also a Character), etcetcetc

He always was a character. I'm not sure why people where confused?

Archived