Attack bikes or land speeders?

Febelcrofas

I was wondering what people think is more effective to take for mobile melta. With speeders now getting to fire two weapons after moving 12 inches but costing more than the attack bike. I'm looking to fill a hole on my list and obviously points wise I'd like to stick in a couple of melta attack bikes but would speeders pay off in the end?

The changes to Instant Death, Hull Points, and assaulting vehicles have swung the ship significantly towards attack bikes when considerng a melta platform.

It's is very rare to see two multimeltas on a single speeder, so the firing of two weapons is less useful for anything but a Tornado with melta. AV10 and only two hull points is also tough to handle. I have not had a squadron of speeders survive a game yet. They might not explode, but they are typically brought down by multiple glancing hits that remove hull points. The 5+ Jink save is hardly a mitigating factor.

Attack bikes, on the other hand, have the same movement ranges, and cannot be killed instantly by anything that's S9 or less. They are actually more durable in melee now than Speeders, since not every model assaulting them will hit on a 3.

If you can only take one, I'd take the Attack Bikes these days.

I agree with ShinyRhino, with true T5, plus the ability to jink as well, Attack Bikes are now better equipped to be fast melta. Speeders are just too fragile, while Attack Bikes also have a lower profile. With changes to dangerous terrain tests as well they're really not so phased about bursting through cover to get to a target.

I'd only take a double melta Speeder if I wanted to deep strike, starting on the board I'd prefer the Attack Bikes for easier concealment and lesser cost.

Your question is vague in setting the goal the unit desired ... role will be in the army outfit. If your looking to push for the landspeeder to fire two weapons at the moving speed of 12" then I would consider heavy bolters. Range 36" you should be able to stay out of bolter/normal troops fire range and do heavy dice damage to any moving troops on the board plus light transport harassment.

Attackbikes ... are a one gun show. If you have them tank hunting at 50pts ... you get what you pay for. If you fail to hit or even fail to damage the tank you sent this daredevil to tackle ... the attackbike is going to be expose to the forebane of that tank as well what ever wants to pick on it.

I favor blob unit of either and have them as a good team for the role they are set to do.

"side note... Attackbikes with two wounds could fire the multimelta and have the driver toss a krak nade at the tank 12" close... then assault... correct"?

"side note... Attackbikes with two wounds could fire the multimelta and have the driver toss a krak nade at the tank 12" close... then assault... correct"?

I didn't see yet anything new that allows a figurine (not vehicule, not MC) to fire 2 weapons.

Back on the topic, I suspect we are going to see less mecha armies. Thus armies should become more potent to fire at infantry models. If your unit is going to be targeted by heavy/special weapons, a speeder and a Bike are going to die as easily. If you are bringing target saturation, we will have to consider being shooted by bolters. Without mathing it, Speeders seems more resilient than Bikes to bolters.

I didn't see yet anything new that allows a figurine (not vehicule, not MC) to fire 2 weapons.

Because there are two figures on the bike, don't they get two shots from the bike?

Attackbikes ... are a one gun show. If you have them tank hunting at 50pts ... you get what you pay for. If you fail to hit or even fail to damage the tank you sent this daredevil to tackle ... the attackbike is going to be expose to the forebane of that tank as well what ever wants to pick on it.

Don't forget you can still assault the tank with grenades on the rear armour, it it hasn't moved, the krak grenades are still a bonus.

Your question is vague in setting the goal the unit desired ... role will be in the army outfit.

Actually, the OP specified mobile melta:

I was wondering what people think is more effective to take for mobile melta. With speeders now getting to fire two weapons after moving 12 inches but costing more than the attack bike. I'm looking to fill a hole on my list and obviously points wise I'd like to stick in a couple of melta attack bikes but would speeders pay off in the end?

That's the desired goal of the unit. :P

And the answer is yes here, something I hadn't thought of though. To those who would argue against, I provide this from the BGB:

Each Bike or Jetbike in a unit can fire with one weapon for each rider on the Bike.

So not a bad little anti-tank unit there.

Also, welcome Knives, looks like you're getting stuck in, which is very good. :P

I have a question that somewhat ties into what the OP asked: is a fast-moving melta platform preferable to say a full-las Predator or a twin-las Dreadnought with missile launcher? Since the attack bike has to move up close, doesn't that make it more risky?

Ludovic

It's up to you whether you consider losing a 50pt unit a massive risk. The main thing to remember is that when it comes to high AV, melta is still the best way of disposing it. 2D6 armour pen, plus the +2 on the vehicle damage makes it the king at this, and on a fast platform it can easily got into position. That's why it's so handy. Lascannon units are handy, but they're better at stripping hull points from high AV or punching through light armour. If you want to punch through heavy armour you take melta, because that's pretty much the only choice you have.

Also, TL-LC/ML Dreads don't hold a candle to Rifleman, but that's not really on topic.

Wow, I had never considered the idea of firing the multimelta and throwing a krak grenade. Awesome idea!

Ditto, JamesI. I am most certainly stealing this idea.

:rolleyes: I'll try my hardest to keep up with the creative ideas...

Melta is the top weapon to kill Tanks... I am going the Attack bikes at the moment because people in my gaming community are playing around and joking with ... ATTACK bikes piling out of Land raiders... (Very Bulky) in the recent faq... report... we are all laughing about it..land speeders are nice... but the lack of hull points really shows against the favor of what they should be doing... they maybe shifting towards and anti infantry as apose to tank they use to be good at... simply because they don't have as good a chance of living that long.

Wow, I had never considered the idea of firing the multimelta and throwing a krak grenade. Awesome idea!

Ditto, JamesI. I am most certainly stealing this idea.

;) I'll try my hardest to keep up with the creative ideas...

Melta is the top weapon to kill Tanks... I am going the Attack bikes at the moment because people in my gaming community are playing around and joking with ... ATTACK bikes piling out of Land raiders... (Very Bulky) in the recent faq... report... we are all laughing about it..

Huh?

I love the idea of throwing a krak grenade into the mix! That just double affirms my choice. With a unit though i guess it's only one krak you get to toss but hey that's still a pretty good bonus!

I haven't recieved my bikes in the post yet so I haven't had the chance to use them so does anybody who has have any usefull tips? For example deployment and general running tactics?

I love the idea of throwing a krak grenade into the mix! That just double affirms my choice. With a unit though i guess it's only one krak you get to toss but hey that's still a pretty good bonus!

Huh? Every attack bike in a squadron can throw one krak grenade and fire one multimelta per Shooting phase.

Also, someone mentioned attack bikes requiring two wounds to do this, which is incorrect. Attack bikes thathave taken a wound suffer no disadvantages in any phase of the game. They can still throw/fire both weapons whenthey only have a single wound remaining.

Huh? Every attack bike in a squadron can throw one krak grenade and fire one multimelta per Shooting phase.

In the brb it states under krak grenades and shooting page 62

"when a unit armed with krak grenades makes a shooting attack, one model can choose to throw a grenade, rather than using another shooting weapon"

So unfortunately it's one krak per unit. ;)

Still better than a slap in the face!

"when a unit armed with krak grenades makes a shooting attack, one model can choose to throw a grenade, rather than using another shooting weapon"

So unfortunately it's one krak per unit. :devil:

Wait wait, if the unit is a single MM attack bike, does that mean that you can't fire the MM and throw the krak? The "rahter than using another shooting weapon" is the part that concerns me - since the attack bike is a single model.

So unfortunately it's one krak per unit. :devil:

Wait wait, if the unit is a single MM attack bike, does that mean that you can't fire the MM and throw the krak? The "rahter than using another shooting weapon" is the part that concerns me - since the attack bike is a single model.

No. A unit consisting of a single attack bike can fire two weapons. One is the multimelta, and the other is the grenade (which replaces the twinned bolters for that turn).

Archived