Help against Necrons in 6th

Leonis

My friends Necron army is dominating our happy little group. I need some way to counter him.

Our last game a few days ago was 3500 points. His Necrons vs my friends Ultramarines with my Grey Knights as back up.

He absolutely ruined us.

He was running Imotekh, Anrakyr on a command barge, twin monoliths, a tomb stalker, destroyers, immortals and a whole shed load of warriors and scarabs.

Imotekh shut down our long range weapons with night fighting and he kept his storm going all game. He rolled a ridiculous number of sixes and managed to take out a scout sniper squad, a predator and a devastator squad and he damaged a land raider enough that his warriors were able to glance it to death easily.

His Anrakyr got his floating chariot of silliness shot out from under him but spent the game getting our land speeders and venerable dreadnaught to shoot each other to bits until I finally managed to get a decent charge off and stuck a paladin squad with a brotherhood champion in his face and rapier struck him to death on the last turn.

When I brought in some Terminators via deepstrike he called in his Deathmarks and lit them up.

When we charged forward with bikes and assault marines he moved up his Monolith and sucked them into the void.

His Tomb Stalker and Scarabs proved to be devastating in counter assault as they ate one of my Dreadnaughts and my Grandmaster.

We could do nothing to prevent his rampant beard stroking and maniacal laughter.

Please brothers, I usually run Grey Knights but I'll be running Dark Angels predominantly for a while, and I need some advice to halt his advance!! :P

They are the new grey knights, the BEST army in 6th edition. You can use searchlights to naturalize his night fighting, heavy flamers WRECK warriors, whatever works to kill marines will kill immortals, but you have to focus fire, unless a squad is wiped they can stand back up. They are tough to fight because they are marines who can stand back up after dieing. Your GK should have no problem tearing them up in CC but you cant out gunline necrons without guard or tau/

Yeah, my guard with the right orders gave him a real headache back in 5th.

My terminators should have torn him apart in CC but we never got the chance to engage anything important before getting mowed down. It was painful.

I'm hoping we get some decent fliers in the new Dark Angel codex because currently no one is running them in my group. That should give him a headache.

I've found I always struggle against Necrons now. They can out shoot my marines, using night fighting to shut down any early shooting. They wreck any vehicles in the 1st couple of turns, to the point where if I know i'm playing them, i don't bother taking a land raider or razorback lists. I assumed i'd be fine once I got into combat with them, but between Lychguard, wraiths, destroyer lords, lightning field cryptecs and MSS lords scattered through the army (as well as overwatch now) I'm the one who ends up losing or getting dragged to bloody draws.

I have a couple of ideas left to try, including using drop pods with tacticals to try and overwhelm flanks but other than that, I'm struggling to find something positive from the games against them.

Heavy Bolters. Heavy Flamers. Sisterhood Allies.

You CAN demech completely to avoid Gauss, but Imotehk's storm kind of precludes this. You need the searchlights.

Aegis line with Autocannon.

IF you're playing 3500 point games, then you can afford to take something like;

Uriah Jacobus (Battle Conclave: 3 Crusaders + 6 Death-Cult w/power sword + power axe, Repressor or Rhino w/searchlight)

Repentia squad

Battle Sisters (2 meltaguns)

Dominion squad (4 flamers, Repressor or Rhino w/searchlight))

Retributor squad (4 heavy bolters, 2 extra sisters, simulacrum, Repressor or Rhino w/searchlight))

The Repentia hop in the Retris' rhino and make a bee-line for any vehicles or 2+ Courts.

The Retributors sit on the Aegis Autocannon, giving it BS4 for intercept and Rending for shooting in your own turn. One of the extra Sisters is there to hold the Simulacrum, the other is there to die for a 3+ on the Faith Test. This lot comes to 995 points (or 945 with Rhinos) and gives you a lot to play with. The Conclave and the Repentia will tear through anything the Necrons can bring in close combat, especially if you charge and use the Repentia's AoF, just to make sure they get their hits in, and even if you lose an attack or three to Mindshackle Scarabs, the rest of the squad have enough attacks to make up the difference.

When playing with your standard Marines, you want missile launchers and heavy bolters. AV13 goes away more quickly than you might expect. Don't take dreadnoughts, heh. Against deathmarks, remember that they can't shoot in your turn! If your opponent tries this, tell him he's wrong! Take two smaller Terminator units instead of one big one, so he can't wipe them all out at once. Use some Sternguard with meltas in a drop pod to draw out the Deathmarks, because he may WANT to save them for the terminators, but if you drop them in behind something he really wants to keep alive he'll have little choice than to drop the DMs to deal with them instead.

The answer to all Necron special characters is the same: meltaguns and plasmaguns in large numbers. The only tricky one is Zahndrek, who's basically got T5, 3 wounds, and terminator armour and a storm shield!

• 3 weeks later...
I found out last night much to the visual horror that land raiders and razorbacks don't help especially when the enemy turns ur own flame storm cannons against you. One my friend had glanced both viechles to death and then proceed to slaughter the passengers was heart breaking. Any tips n hints would be greatfully appreciated

My friends Necron army is dominating our happy little group. I need some way to counter him.

Erm...they're Marines. But worse. Like, easier to kill, and overpriced. Because xenos.

He was running Imotekh, Anrakyr on a command barge, twin monoliths, a tomb stalker, destroyers, immortals and a whole shed load of warriors and scarabs.

How did he beat you with that? Imotekh is the only vaguely worthwhile one there. Anrakyr is awful, CCB's die to meltas like everything else (and cost more than Annhilation Barges but have less firepower). Monoliths lost melta immunity, again, apply Attack Bike directly to the necrodermis. Tomb Stalker, eh plasma guns and Hammernators should've been able to kill it, its annoying but he only had one. Destroyers are awful, they're lascannon bait. Immortals are painfully bad, being Troops, although they're still slightly better than (shudder) Warriors. Scarabs instant-gib to S6+, hell even massed bolter/heavy bolter chews them up pretty well.

Imotekh shut down our long range weapons with night fighting and he kept his storm going all game. He rolled a ridiculous number of sixes and managed to take out a scout sniper squad, a predator and a devastator squad and he damaged a land raider enough that his warriors were able to glance it to death easily.

You have searchlights for free, use them. Also, 'Night Fighting' is no longer a range roll, they just get bonuses to cover saves ('Shrouded' past 36", 'Stealth' past 12", something like that). Don't take Scouts against Necrons, or Land Raiders (gauss actually becomes meaningful if you bring Land Raiders for him to eat).

His Anrakyr got his floating chariot of silliness shot out from under him but spent the game getting our land speeders and venerable dreadnaught to shoot each other to bits until I finally managed to get a decent charge off and stuck a paladin squad with a brotherhood champion in his face and rapier struck him to death on the last turn.

Or y'know, you can just shoot him? He doesn't have a phase shifter, apply AP2 until he runs out of wounds. He doesn't require Paladins, they should've been busy murdering Necron infantry for free wins.

When I brought in some Terminators via deepstrike he called in his Deathmarks and lit them up.

Erm...he can't shoot you on the turn he arrives. As in, he has to wait until his turn till he can shoot you. Why didn't you just storm bolter+assault cannon them back? Or shoot them with something else?

Granted, I would've just walked Terminators. 2+ armour is a pain for him to deal with, and he can't fight you in close-combat.

When we charged forward with bikes and assault marines he moved up his Monolith and sucked them into the void.

It has a range of D6" for the 'Strength test or die' vortex. How the hell were you that close to it? Also, why are you charging in without killing the Monoliths first? You should be going after his infantry with Assault Marines and Bikers.

His Tomb Stalker and Scarabs proved to be devastating in counter assault as they ate one of my Dreadnaughts and my Grandmaster.

How?

Seriously, are you trolling man? Cos I have no idea how 3.5k of Necrons beats 3.5k of Marines+GK.

No, that would be gimping the army. Marines have zero issues murdering Necron infantry (why can't I hold all these plasma cannons?). Dealing with the multiple AV13 platforms requires building proper melta into your list, but its not insurmountable (they're not cheap, even at 3.5k he can't have had many, what with two Monoliths sucking up so many points).

I'd actually run Sternguard and Tacticals, with Knights bringing scoring Terminator blobs for even more Marine infantry.

The answer to all Necron special characters is the same: meltaguns and plasmaguns in large numbers. The only tricky one is Zahndrek, who's basically got T5, 3 wounds, and terminator armour and a storm shield!

Don't forget Obyron. As soon as you even try to murder Zandrekh, he teleports back in, accepts the challenge and proceeds to murder you back with his 2+ armour and warscythe.

Seriously, are you trolling man?

No, that would be gimping the army.

sisters dont gimp armies, they make them better.

Don't take Scouts against Necrons

my scout army is undefeated vs necrons, granted ive only played "new" necrons 3 times, but every time i won.

the problem i see with necrons is all the new shiny toys, warriors are easy enough to deal with, but they have alot of cheese elements like flyers with death rays, imotekh giving everything +2 save for the first couple of turns, scarab farms et al

also everything in the army wrecks vehicles.

the other issue ive seen here, is that everyone is suggesting tailoring to beat necrons, ive never done that.

IMO my scouts were successful becuase they are unique, no real vehicles to speak of.

i guess they are considered so powerful for that reason, most people dont tailor, they merely pull out thier standard lists and find thier vehicles turn to dust

Darius is right on many fronts though, in order to beat necrons, you need to get target priorities right, they are a very unforgiving army and youve no room for mistakes.

monoliths got easier to kill with melta now, as they dont disallow the second dice anymore.. the old melta sucicide squads work wonders against them.

whether thats sternguard or speeders, whatever works for you is cool.

i also recommend thunderfire cannons, against all armies but they work wonders against scarabs and warriors.. infact S6 templates instakill 2 bases for every unsaved wound (at least i think rules are still the same on that front, need to check)

Archived