FAQs Updated!

TheHarrower

anyone else noticed that all the chaos characters (and all daemon weapons) are AP2 now? Of more importance - all the Daemon weapons (except Typhus' interestingly) are not Unwieldy... Wish Dante had been given similar treatment, suddenly there's no way to handle a chaos HQ in CC other than throw away challenges or storm shields...

Well, for chaos there are penalties rolling 1's with daemon weapons so keep that in mind.

Q: How do maelstroms novas and beams– or indeed any weapon that doesn’t need to roll To Hit or hits automatically – interact with Zooming flyers and gliding monstrous creatures? (p13)

A: Only Snap Shots can hit Zooming Flyers and Gliding Flying Monstrous Creatures. Therefore, any attacks that use blast markers, templates, create a line of/area of effect or otherwise don’t roll to hit cannot target them. This includes weapons such as the Necron Doom Scythe’s death ray or the Deathstrike missile of the Imperial Guard, and psychic powers that follow the rule for maelstroms, beams, and novas.

The FAQ also says:

Q: Does a weapon that hits automatically, still hit automatically when

making a Snap Shot? (p13)

A: Yes.

What do you make of this?

Also JamesI, I don't think that the profiles on the Glaives are just examples.

IMHO the FAQ states that their profiles are just swords and axes.

At least that's what I make after reading this:

"They would therefore have the following profiles"

Q: How do maelstroms novas and beams– or indeed any weapon that doesn’t need to roll To Hit or hits automatically – interact with Zooming flyers and gliding monstrous creatures? (p13)

A: Only Snap Shots can hit Zooming Flyers and Gliding Flying Monstrous Creatures. Therefore, any attacks that use blast markers, templates, create a line of/area of effect or otherwise don’t roll to hit cannot target them. This includes weapons such as the Necron Doom Scythe’s death ray or the Deathstrike missile of the Imperial Guard, and psychic powers that follow the rule for maelstroms, beams, and novas.

The FAQ also says:

Q: Does a weapon that hits automatically, still hit automatically when

making a Snap Shot? (p13)

A: Yes.

What do you make of this?

Also JamesI, I don't think that the profiles on the Glaives are just examples.

IMHO the FAQ states that their profiles are just swords and axes.

At least that's what I make after reading this:

"They would therefore have the following profiles"

For your first part:

Weapons that hit automatically hit automatically as snap shots, but can not be used to hit flyers.

For the second, after rereading I agree. Kind of stupid to limit it to axes and swords, but then again we probably would all take axes and swords mostly.

Glaive Encarmines follow the rules as described in the Types

of Power Weapon section on page 61 of the Warhammer 40,000

rulebook, but also have the Master-crafted and Two-handed

special rules They would therefore have the following profiles

Range S AP Type

Glaive Encarmine - User 3 Melee,

(Sword) Master-crafted,

Two-handed.

Range S AP Type

Glaive Encarmine - +1 2 Melee,

(Axe) Master-crafted,

Two-handed,

Unwieldy.

Emphasis mine, this is the part of the rules that describes WHAT glaives are, nowhere does it limit what types of power weapon a glaive can be.

The second part is merely showing what the profiles would look like, now where does it ever say that you do not follow ANY of the rules on page 61 which INCLUDE the rules for lances and mauls as modelled.

Emphasis mine, this is the part of the rules that describes WHAT glaives are, nowhere does it limit what types of power weapon a glaive can be.

The second part is merely showing what the profiles would look like, now where does it ever say that you do not follow ANY of the rules on page 61 which INCLUDE the rules for lances and mauls as modelled.

But it does limit the types of the PWs in the part bellow.

Swords and axes, which also follow the rules of Power Weapons on page 61.

If Glaives were meant to use all the various PW designs, after the "They would therefore have the following profiles" part, the list would include all the other types as well,

or use a simple "as an example" or "e.g." don't you think?

I would even agree with you, if the profiles were just a Maul and a Lance instead, but they are not.

Thanks Brother Weasel and Darklighter. I was trying to find an explanation for the relative performance of the weapons and it looks like real life probably was the basis of it. I play for the role-playing fluff-full fun of living out warfare in the grim darkness of the 41st Millenium, not to beat kids in competitions, so it is more imporatnt to me that (as in historical wargames) the rules approximate some sort of 'reality', rather than just offering 'Rock scissors stone' in-game balancing mechanics.

The new rules seem intended to provide a cinematic experience and the FAQs look at areas where play takes advantage of the rules in ways the designers hadn't envisaged. My main point was that these have turned up so soon after the release of the rulebook that they probably could have been spotted and ironed out in a more comprehensive beta phase. The need for 'secret' releases seems to militate against this process, but if I end up paying £45 for a 6.1 rule book sooner than 4 years from now because of it, i shall be pretty annoyed.

But it does limit the types of the PWs in the part bellow.

Swords and axes, which also follow the rules of Power Weapons on page 61.

If Glaives were meant to use all the various PW designs, after the "They would therefore have the following profiles" part, the list would include all the other types as well,

or use a simple "as an example" or "e.g." don't you think?

I would even agree with you, if the profiles were just a Maul and a Lance instead, but they are not.

That is actually what the purpose of THEREFORE is in that sentence.

As in "therefore the weapon profiles would look like......" NOT "therefore ONLY the following profiles are allowed..."

Further more I'd imagine they have not listed the new profiles for EVERY weapon because they only have official model's for axe's and swords. their is NO restriction to the rules provided on 61 its never even suggested, it tells you to follow the rules for power weapons on page 61 and that is all, well those rules include lances and mauls.

FURTHERMORE: Every other entry says "This iss what the weapon does" Glaives instead direct you to "follow the rules for....with the addition off"

Sorry mate, but I don't think it works that way. From what I make of it, THEREFORE means that they are not regarded as Unusual but instead have the following profiles and that's just it.

Surelly there is no restriction for power weapons in the pg 61 of the rulebook, but there is one now in our FAQ.

Wheather we like it or not, Glaives are now listed only as Swords and Axes.

Sorry mate, but I don't think it works that way. From what I make of it, THEREFORE means that they are not regarded as Unusual but instead have the following profiles and that's just it.

Surelly there is no restriction for power weapons in the pg 61 of the rulebook, but there is one now in our FAQ.

It seems that they are axes and swords only in your head.. sry...

It seems that they are axes and swords only in your head.. sry...

Then by all means please, prove me wrong.

Ok.

1) there are ony 2 types of power weapons in the rulebook: usual and Unusual.

FAQ states that they are NOT unusual. i.e. they are usual weapons, THEREFORE they add MS and TH to usual PW profile.

2) Look at the question, it was exactly according swords and axes . Therefore answer was given according swords and axes. There were no requests to clarify mace\lance profile. I think you are a smart dude, and you can extrapolate.

edit: grammar

Ok.

1) there are ony 2 types of power weapons in the rulebook: usual and Unusual.

FAQ states that they are NOT unusual. i.e. they are usual weapons, THEREFORE they add MS and TH to usual PW profile.

2) Look at the question, it was exactly according swords and axes . Therefore answer was given according swords and axes. There were no requests to clarify mace\lance profile. I think you are a smart dude, and you can extrapolate.

edit: grammar

1. OK with that.

2. I did look at the question.

Q: Are they unusual PWs or swords/axes?

A: They are not unusual PWs, they are swords/axes.

And that's just it.

Why isn't that enough?

Can see both sides there, as the Q was specific to Swords/Axes, it makes sense that reply was specific to the same, Basically a badly worded version of the question, which is a shame.

As it stands, I'm sure it'll be ruled in different ways depending on Club and Tournament... until the next batch of FAQs B)

The thinkg is there is nowhere in that rules set where it states that Glaive's are ONLY swords or axes, it does not say,

therefore they have the following profiles.

It says.

They would therefore have the following profiles

its the presence of the would that directs you in how the therefore works within the sentence. The would reinforces that the list is merely exemplary and certainly not a limiter.

Two very similar sentences with remarkably different meanings, don't you just love english.

Reeeally stretching it. Just read it:

A: Glaive Encarmines follow the rules as described in the Types

special rules. They would therefore have the following profiles:

Now if you contract the paragraph:

A: Glaive Encarmines (snip) would therefore have the following profiles:

Its pretty clear that they can only be axes or swords. If they really really wanted to give us access to mauls and lances, they would have listed out their profiles. They didn't. Stop grasping at straws, guys.

As the person who wrote the question answered (word for word from my email), I believe GW took that the question asked about axes and swords and answered for axes and swords. I do not see it as a definitive answer that disallowed glaive spears or glaive mauls. A glaive spear even makes sense in the name Glaive, though I guess maul makes far less sense.

Its pretty clear that they can only be axes or swords. If they really really wanted to give us access to mauls and lances, they would have listed out their profiles. They didn't. Stop grasping at straws, guys.

See the problem comes because to my reading of it your the one grasping at straws.

The answer clearly reads that they follow power weapon rules with the addition of two-handed and master crafted, they didn't need to list the profiles at all because the question is answered in the text, but they listed the swords and axe's, this in no way limits them to swords or axe's.

If they had intended that they would have said they may only ever be swords or axe's. They didn't. Stop grasping at straws. :D

In all seriousness give me ONE quote that DEFINATIVELY states lance and maul Glaive's may not exist, you can't because its not there. however I can qupte p61 of the main rulebook that states power weapons may be lances and maul's and Glaives are just power weapons with two-handed and Master crafted.

In fact the BA codex specifically mentions they are POWER WEAPONS, no where are they stated to ever be power swords/axe's.

In all seriousness give me ONE quote that DEFINATIVELY states lance and maul Glaive's may not exist, you can't because its not there. however I can qupte p61 of the main rulebook that states power weapons may be lances and maul's and Glaives are just power weapons with two-handed and Master crafted.

So just build your spear SG or Axe Sanguinor or whatever and have fun with this argument every time you play a match outside your closest group of friends...

So just build your spear SG or Axe Sanguinor or whatever and have fun with this argument every time you play a match outside your closest group of friends...

An argument for following the rules as they are written?

Yeah nice counter mate, seriously that's not an appropriate comment mate.

See the problem comes because to my reading of it your the one grasping at straws.

The answer clearly reads that they follow power weapon rules with the addition of two-handed and master crafted, they didn't need to list the profiles at all because the question is answered in the text, but they listed the swords and axe's, this in no way limits them to swords or axe's.

If they had intended that they would have said they may only ever be swords or axe's. They didn't. Stop grasping at straws. :(

In fact the BA codex specifically mentions they are POWER WEAPONS, no where are they stated to ever be power swords/axe's.

I see what you are saying and I would agree with that, if the answer hadn't included the stats for swords and axes.

Up to that point, glaives are PW with MC and TH.

The inclusion of the stats though change that, because it tells you that, yes they follow the rules for the PWs with MC and TH added, but they are just swords & axes.

Also the "therefore" in the sentence points not to the weapon type, but to the special rules that are added to the profiles of these two weapons.

An argument for following the rules as they are written?

Yeah nice counter mate, seriously that's not an appropriate comment mate.

Since a lot of people have been arguing in circles about these things ever since 6th hit I'd say it's very appropriate.

If there's another FAQ update, how do you think it will look from the direction we've seen so far? Do whatever with your models if you feel like it but be prepared for the headache/wasted effort if you are just modelling for advantage.

If they had intended that they would have said they may only ever be swords or axe's. They didn't. Stop grasping at straws. :(

I see what you are saying and I would agree with that, if the answer hadn't included the stats for swords and axes.

Up to that point, glaives are PW with MC and TH.

The inclusion of the stats though change that, because it tells you that, yes they follow the rules for the PWs with MC and TH added, but they are just swords & axes.

Also the "therefore" in the sentence points not to the weapon type, but to the special rules that are added to the profiles of these two weapons.

See your miss reading the therefore, and talking parts of the answer in isolation. The sword an axe is purely an example as stated by the use of "would therefore".

Its like this:

"They would therefore have these profiles if they follow the rules on page 61 of the BRB with the addition of MC and TH."

Again I reiterate their is nowhere in the FAQ limiting the Pg61 BRB rules they added to it not restrict.

EDIT: Take for example other entries in the FAQ's, this is the weakest argument by the way. but,

Space Wolves Wargear, Frost Blade or Frost Axe

Replace the last sentence with the following profiles:

Range S AP Type

Frost Blade - +1 3 Melee

Range S AP Type

Frost Axe - +2 2 Melee,

Unwieldy

THAT is how it would be worded if we had only the option for SWORD or AXE. Instead we are directed in how to fold the Galive rules into the rules on PG 61 of the BRB with NO restrictions applied.

Archived