An Iconography Conflict...

captain sox

Hi again folks.

I'm trying to figure something out, and I need your opinions and advice. I've started my DIY Successor Chapter, and I'm having trouble deciding what to do with some of the beautiful mini's that are in the Dark Vengeance set. (I'll be getting mine after my holidays next week.)

I'm using the Angels of Vengeance decals, for my army and I want to represent that on the DV HQ models, however I think scraping the Dark Angels logos off of them will be too difficult, and may ruin the model.

So I was thinking, I could represent my HQ's with the DA sword and wings, (kind of like a paying tribute or respect to the First Chapter) with smaller icons from the AoV on them (maybe even with a banner or something?)

Does this seem to make sense or is it pure blasphemy, heresey etc?

I don't want to start over again...

I'm in a similar situation... However I think I will paint them up as Dark Angels. The iconography is too specific and scrapping it off is beyond my skill... At least I won't try it with these excellent minis. Besides having a squad of DAs fighting along my successors adds to the mystery, no? :yes:

I personally never saw the "generic winged sword" as too intrusive to DIY, if used sparingly. Now, the typical DA winged sword with the angular "cogstooth" wings is a whole different matter altogether. That screams DA and DA only.

Unfortunately, the Chaplain and the Libby in DW box both have the cogstooth winged sword on their clothy bits, these will take some time to remove.

Dark Vengeance was the spur for me to bring my DA into this millennium (they date from 2nd edition). However, I am a bit bored of green so have decided to go for Guardians of the Covenant. I will be scraping off the shoulder icons from the Deathwing, Ravenwing and Tacticals. I don’t think the shoulder pads will be too bad at a first glance, although that could be famous last words.

I am comfortable leaving the iconography in place for the HQ units though. I quite like the idea of the Dark Angels operating as a legion still in the hunt for the fallen, and I like the idea of linkages between the Inner Circles of the various unforgiven chapters. To the outsider senior figures bearing DA iconography could simply be seen as homage to the primogenitor chapter, however to my Guardians of the Covenant it will have a deeper symbolism. At least that’s the excuse for not attempting to remove it.

Emory boards work well and are more precise than "scraping" or carving.. The Captain and Librarian shoulder pads dont look to be that raised up anyway. But the symbols on the tabards and robes will be fine, especially if you do it in your usual chapter colors... They are a successor chapter.

Well, like they say if you can't beat them join them. I leave for holidays tomorrow. My AoV are bathing in Dettol until I return. I have lots of green paint from my Lizardmen, and I will come up with a decent, but not like the average, DA green scheme.

I'll have to update my September vow too....

;)

Some may find it much easier to cut away the sword+wings shoulder pad, replace it with the desired shoulder pad cut down to fit into the area, and then patch up any gaps. It really is not that hard to do, but hers is one very important bit of advice- cut away the plastic a little bit at time so as to avoid accidents. Just whittle away with your hobby knife.

I was considering a DA crusading force, using a squad from each successor. Squads would be in successor colours except for the DA shoulder pad. The shoulder pad gets painted in DA colors. Sort of a DA "Deathwatch" force, where the company pad is moved for the Deathwatch pad. The successor iconography can be placed elsewhere on the model as desired.

Archived