Mephiston has.. 3 BRB powers now?

Pascalnz

Sorry I don't have my books with me, where does it say he only takes two?. It just seems in the faq that they say basic libbies and epistolary libbies get two but in the BRB you get as many as you have mastery in.i.e. it seems that they are saying even though BA libbies are only mastery level 1 they get two choices, as well as epistolaies which are mastery2.

Yeah its a contradiction. He is lvl 3. The BGB says that a psyker generates powers equal to its mastery level. Then the BA FAQ states that BA psykers including Mephy can swap out there powers for two new BGB powers instead.

Since Codex (or FAQ) trumps BGB, Mephy only gets two powers from the BGB but has 3 warp charge to use every turn.

Yeah its a contradiction. He is lvl 3. The BGB says that a psyker generates powers equal to its mastery level.

No, it says: "Unless otherwise stated, a Psyker knows a number of psychic powers equal to its Mastery Level." Since the BA FAQ says otherwise there is no contradiction.

So what you are saying is:

By default Mephiston is Mastery 3 and knows 3 codex powers.

He may swap 3 of those for only 2 codex powers, despite having 3 warp charges a turn (!?)

BA FAQ: A Blood Angels Librarian (including Mephiston) may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Blood Angels. If he does so, generate two new powers from the Biomancy, Divination, Telepathy or Telekinesis disciplines (in any combination) before armies are deployed.

He can't keep one from codex and replace two!

BRB FAQ: Can psychic powers be mixed and matched from the psychic disciplines and those found in the Codexes? (p418)

A: No. You may select from the psychic powers listed in the Codex as normal or swap them for a number of rolls on the psychic disciplines tables.

What you need to bear in mind is that this means that Mephiston, even if he only knows two powers, can fire off both a warpcharge (WC) 1 AND a WC 2 spell in single round.

However, given that you can't "manifest the same psychic power more than once each turn" (p67) and there aren't many WC2 powers in the first place (1 in Telekinesis, 2 in Telepathy that he can use) I reckon this is a bad FAQ clarification on Mephiston which needs to be challenged; I expect the next FAQ to clarify he can roll 3 powers but until then we'll probably have to accept any opponent insisting we only get two!

I'm pretty sure they just forgot to correct the mistake in the first FAQ, but o well :/ I'd play him as having 3 powers (and allow my opponents to do the same), else where is the point of being mastery lvl 3.

If your opponent isn't a BA, or is and doesn't take mephy, they might actualy ask you to follow the rules as to what the faq says.

I'm pretty sure they just forgot to correct the mistake in the first FAQ, but o well :/ I'd play him as having 3 powers (and allow my opponents to do the same), else where is the point of being mastery lvl 3.

If your opponent isn't a BA, or is and doesn't take mephy, they might actualy ask you to follow the rules as to what the faq says.

Well, since Mephiston is mastery lvl 3, they'll have to know the BA-FAQ pretty well to spot that bracket comment about him only having 2 powers :( (which makes absolutely no sense)

Well, since Mephiston is mastery lvl 3, they'll have to know the BA-FAQ pretty well to spot that bracket comment about him only having 2 powers :sweat: (which makes absolutely no sense)

why not just... i dunno... play within the rules as opposed to blatantly cheating... you know, be like... a good sport? Just a suggestion.

I totally agree. I also think he should have three powers. But the rulebook and FAQ are crystal clear. He can only take two powers from the rulebook. This isn't a unique case either. Eldrad knows five codex powers but can only take four rulebook powers.

Actually, according to the rulebook he should get three powers, as per the new FAQ he definitely is mastery level 3. It's just that they also somehow included him with the rest of our librarians which of course only get to know two powers.

Of course I won't cheat and I'll play him with 2 powers, I just got quite upset to have a 250pts uber-psyker (according to fluff) who then still isn't better at casting than your standard guy :/

Archived