A Painting Question

TMK0377

Robes generally, I think, give more room to play with shades than power armor does. You can start with a darker base color and work up more levels of highlighting than you might on Power Armor.

What are you painting dark green robes over? Termies?

I'd say green robes should end up brighter than power armor. Also where power armor has sharp thin highlights, the robes should have larger areas of the lighter color.

I want to ask what colors are best for secondary robes. The new HQs from the Dark Vengeance set wear more than one layer. I'm not crazy about the purple color, but if nothing is better I'll use it.

For my green robes I use (old colours still) DA Green Base, Snot Green 1st Layer.

1- DA green over black

2- Nuln oil

3- DA green over all but the deepest recesses

4- Watered down Snot Green (REALLY watered down, 2 parts water to 1 part paint) over the most prominent high spots. Over 5-7 layers you want to start fairly broadly and with each successive pass, tighten it up. This will give you a very gradual colour change which suits cloth.

This method is what I used on my DV Ravenwing Librarian, both the green and purple.

Cheers,

Jono

Might wanna try using DA green with any "milky" type lighter colour for blending.

The ones I'm reffering too are: Bleached bone, Graveyard Earth (continued with Skull white) , Rotting Flesh, Pallid Flesh ...blend those and add Skull white for the say 3 last layers....

I try to keep the robes generally dark and use more gradual highlights than for armour. I start with a black/DA green mix, highlight with DA green, then DA green with snot green, increasing the latter with each highlight.

Keep the paint relatively thin.

I like to give the impression that the robes are made of heavy material that doesn't reflect the light all that much, so the tones are there, but not as much as if I were to try and paint silk, for example. Hope that helps.

I use the following recipe for my green robes. It's simple, but very nice, IMO. You can use the old or new paints with the same effect, so I've listed both.

Goblin Green/Warboss Green Base Coat

Thraka Green/Biel-Tan Green wash (2-4 layers, depending, and I usually go on a little thicker than most)

Goblin Green/Warboss Green highlight.

You can do more to get more depth, but the washes really do most of the work. You are able to paint it really fast and do large groups at once. You are really just waiting on the washes to dry most of the time. Here are some pics of how this recipe comes out:

gallery_30758_7330_698184.jpg

gallery_30758_7330_82271.jpg

gallery_30758_7330_374083.jpg

Archived