Sentinels: Chapter Command

Disruptor_fe404

So, back when I was in the concept stages for this guy, I decided that I wanted to make sure he got an awesome unit to go with him. This eventually lead to also wanting to do a sweet ride for them. Which then lead to including the Chapter's Master of Sanctity and Chief Librarian in the unit. Which quite quickly turned into both of those characters getting units of their own. Which would then need their own transports.

Escalation at it's finest, wouldn't you agree?

Still, I had to start somewhere. And I've gotten a couple of requests for starting a project log. So it goes.

So here's what the honour guard looked like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/DSC00676.jpg

Worth noting that this model was complete before I even started on Darius.

The objective with each member of the Honour Guard was to have models that:

1) Could be mistaken for a Captain, which implies they would need to be:

a. certified badass

b. detailed

c. individual

d. certified badass

2) Have enough common elements between them to still look like a cohesive unit

3) appropriately represent their wargear, which is the following:

a. artificer armour

b. boltgun

c. boltpistol

d. auxiliary grenade launcher

e) power weapon (specifically a sword)

f) relic blade

g) grenades

As you can see from the picture, I had to make a few concessions on those. Particularly, 1b (anything more than the picture would have been too busy for me), 3f (the sword I used is big enough that I have no issue saying that it is both a power sword and a relic blade depending on how the user feels that minute) and 3g (I was fine with not modelling the grenades on, as I feel that having them use their grenades via the grenade launcher was suitably badass, which also reinforces 1a and 1d).

Happy with the result, I replicated the process and made another...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/DSC00677.jpg

...who ended up looking almost exactly the same. Sure, the hands and the legs might be different (I had already salvaged the arms before I took the photo, sorry!), but it's basically the same model. What was most annoying was that it took me forever to realise it.

So they've been scrapped. These two fine gentlemen will be recycled (mercilessly) in future models. I like the first guy a lot though, so I'm planning to reuse him almost wholesale.

More as it develops.

I really like the paint scheme your army; the gold and silver complement each other really well and I wish I could get my gold to go that bright! Any time I try it ends up thin and I have to do about 3 layers to get it anywhere close to what you've done, do you mix it with any other colour? (perhaps mixing gold with a dab of bronze for consistency?)

Just checked out your other posts from your signature... nice going, always a big fan of heavy-metall(ics) and robes! Keep up the awesome work!

I...think it would be a shame to get rid of them. Yes, they look very similar, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. What if they fight as a dyas (a pair) in battle, more so than the other brothers in the honour guard? Anyway, you could make the second guy very different from the first with even a few small modifications - I know you said you didn't want to go for an overly busy look but some furs/pelts would give the second guy a very different feel from the first (who feels very 'clean') or a simple head swap would help to make him look more individual. If furs and pelts don't fit the feel of your Chapter, some of the bulkier shoulderpads (thinking the reinforced armoured pads the Company Champion wears) would make him look very different; then you could give him a different style relic blade and maybe a different pattern boltgun.

Of course they're your models, so feel free to disregard the above entirely :( The painting is awesome, and I'm a big fan of the colour scheme - personally I prefer more weathering and grittiness but these are perfect exemplars of the 'clean' look. Looking forward to seeing more!

Arkhan

Jupiter Forge: Thank you very much! I personally feel that painting isn't my strongest point (evidence of that to come, maybe), so way back when I first started, I chose metallics for my army because they give excellent coverage with fewer strokes, and are in effect self-shading and self-highlighting. It was definitely a crutch when I first started, but know I use a couple of layers of each colour, plus heavy black inking to get well-defined lines. The scheme itself is very simple as long as I'm consistent with it; black undercoat, silver base coat, a base of whatever colour the details will be, a heavy black wash, another layer of silver, and then clean up the details.

Oh, and I use Mithril Silver and Shining Gold. I don't care what GW calls them now, because my FLGS had a sale on old GW paints going when the new ones hit, so I basically got a lifetime's worth (at least I hope it's a lifetime's worth).

BrotherCaptainArkhan: I agree that it'd be a shame to get rid of both of them, actually. I'll probably preserve the first one in some way, since I'm quite certain I can use him in the Reclusiam Honour Guard if I swap his weapons, helmet and pauldrons. The second guy, I'm not so sure. He probably won't make the cut as an Honour Guard, but I'm definitely considering using him as a Veteran of some kind somewhere else.

Furs and pelts, however, I can honestly say that I've usually dismissed out of hand, but for some reason, reading your suggestion, I just got a braincase full of ideas (it does mean I'll have to source some furs and pelts, but that shouldn't be too hard in this day and age). So thank you very much for the suggestion!

Next update: The first of the revised Honour Guard is 70% done, so I'll take photos soonish. Plus an order arrived, so I've started putting together the bolters for the revised Honour Guard too. Hopefully updating tonight or tomorrow! Stay tuned.

Furs and pelts, however, I can honestly say that I've usually dismissed out of hand, but for some reason, reading your suggestion, I just got a braincase full of ideas (it does mean I'll have to source some furs and pelts, but that shouldn't be too hard in this day and age). So thank you very much for the suggestion!

Just in case you do go through with it - check out Anvil Industries' tabards, loincloths and furs - I can vouch for their good quality and they're pretty damn cheap. The quality of their stuff is in general better than GW and if you're into customising your bolters, check out their other conversion parts for some very good looking drum mags etc.

Glad I helped a little!

Way ahead of you, mate! :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/DSC00678.jpg

Admittedly, I didn't buy any furs. Just means Joel gets more of my business at a later date.

In any case...

Behold the first of a new breed!

This is Praetor Orde, the Faithful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/DSC00679.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/DSC00680.jpg

Alright, not actually all that different. In fact, one could say he's less ornate than the originals. I'll concede that. But! overall much closer to what I'm looking to achieve. This guy is heavier on 1c and 3a, which I'm pretty happy with.

It literally took me hours to paint the lettering on him, because I'm atrociously terrible at freehand. Also, shaky hands make for poor photos.

And yes, he does seem to be pretty heavily-influenced by the Grey Knights. Wasn't a conscious decision, but overall I'm fine with it.

There are elements present here (some inherited from the original) that are going to be common across all of Darius' Honour Guard (but not in the Reclusiam and Librarium Honour Guard units).

First is the raised collar/gorget. I really like this look, and I'm always wary of using it because I don't want to diminish the coolness of it in my Chapter, so using it on everyone in this unit effectively marks them out as inherently awesome. This was a new addition, which only came about after I finished Darius himself.

Second is the ceremonial knife, which I've just realised is not shown at all in the photo of the original. It's there though, trust me. Inherited from the original.

Third is the reloads for the auxilliary grenade launcher, also not shown in the original photo (clearly, I am terrible at photography). Inherited from the original.

Fourth is the relic blade/power sword. I really like the aesthetic of the company champion's sword, so I'm keeping it. Inherited from the original.

Fifth, the leather straps (no idea what they're actually called), which will be present on most of the models (with the exception of the Chapter Champion). Inherited from the original.

Sixth, additional protective elements on the left pauldron. While not all of the Honour Guard will have the same dominant hand, I'm keeping this element on left pauldron, as the right pauldron will be personal heraldry and such. Inherited from the original, and in the case of Orde, it's actually the whole arm from the second of the originals.

Scenic resin base purchased from Dragon Forge. The Wasteland range is pretty much exactly what I was looking for to put my Honour Guard on.

Next up: What am I doing for his new gun? I've already started work on this, so photos soon.

Quick update: Borderlands 2 and Torchlight II have both recently been released, and thus I anticipate pouring lots of time into both of those, followed by a little bit of Mists of Pandaria and a lot of X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

I have some photos that haven't been posted here yet though, so those will happen over the course of the week.

Till next time!

Ah, man, I feel your pain. I've been playing BL2 a LOT, just started a new job, picked up Dark Vengeance, have built literally NOTHING out of the box... but these lads are quite spiffy! They're smaller, less OTT versions of your chapter master. Thumbs up, mate.

As an aside, I might be sending you a PM about the fluff for your chapter, as I quite like them, and, with your okay, might want to put a few Sentinels together.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Ola! I'm back into it. In the middle of a Steam sale, amusingly.

Still, progress. Some of these parts have been finished for weeks.

On to the photos!

HG2:

Praetor Reece, the Swift

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/hg2.jpg

Number 2 is pretty much done, just needs me to finish the missing shoulder pad and then assembly.

HG3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/hg3.jpg

Also almost done, though still needs more than HG2 (and a name).

• 3 weeks later...
Wondered where your Sentinel log had got to. Just wanted to swing by to say that HG2 is amazing. Really, really cool. I love the crisp look of your miniatures, that's something I aspire to. Although I would like to see a side shot of HG2 in particular to look at that pose, which is kind of flattened by the picture as is. Looks like he's just jumped forward off/out of something, which I'm guessing was your intent.

A side shot, you say?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/HG-wip-3of5_zps9c7611df.jpg

I was going for a pose that conveyed him taking an aimed shot while indicating an advance, while also showing that he was on the move. I think it worked, though some angles are much better for it than others.

Oh, I totally threw in a shot of HG3 there too, since he's complete. I'll take proper completion photos of him soon. In the meantime, my plan is to finish HG4 by Christmas day.

EDIT: EnigmaShadow: You and I both know that there's only one thing that would stop us spending money; the Internet would have to go down. Where there's a credit card, there's a way!

Aha I see. From the original shot it looked like he was leaning really far back, which is why I made the initial comment. I can see now it looks nothing like that though. Seeing the three of them together looks awesome - that is a hell of a distinctive unit you're going to have (they are for tabletop, right?) Looking forward to seeing a Chapter Master ;)

Actually, my Chapter Master has been kicking around for a while now. Reactions have been a little more divided on him, but the target audience (yes, that's me!) is extremely happy with how he turned out.

In theory, yes, they're meant for tabletop use. In practice, Darius' sword is a Legion Relic stratagem, so I'm predisposed to running them all in an Apocalypse game (so basically never). And while I did put the relic blade and storm shield on his base for a reason, I haven't come up with an army list that uses Honour Guard well while also being interesting to me!

But I'm enjoying the heck out of modelling these guys, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

EDIT: GrimApostle: HoH posts get updated into my signature, so enjoy my previous works! I can't promise that I'm steady at updating or that I complete my projects in any kind of timely fashion though!

Archived