Do DA Terminators always have to be bone coloured?

Rik Biel

I really like DAs - I'm building up a force of them.

History/Fluff wise - are the DA Terminators only bone coloured?

Do they have other Terminators apart from Deathwing - or is that it?

Numerically - how many Terminators (approx) do the DA chapter have?

Cheers

Yes, Deathwing are always bone colored.

No other terminators in DA other than Deathwing.

Numerically they're a company (the first company) so 100.

If you want other color schemes check out the successor chapters or make your own fluff.

As of m41 yes the Dark Angels Deathwing are white. However, during the Great Crusade and through the Horus Heresy all Dark Angels wore black armor. After the destruction of Caliban they changed their armor to dark green with the exception of the Deathwing and Ravenwing who remained black. After the plains world incident the Deathwing changed their armor to white.

How you want to paint your Deathwing is based on which chapter you wish to use, how far back in time you want to portray your army, and ultimately how you wish to paint them.

How you want to paint your Deathwing is based on which chapter you wish to use, how far back in time you want to portray your army, and ultimately how you wish to paint them.

This! ^^^

If you don't like to paint white you can eirher opt for a Successor (they have their Termies in their Chapter colors) or do DAs as they were before the plains incident i.e. black Termies. If you want go for current timeline Dark Angels then all termies will have to be white. Keep in mind that white can mean a lot of things from ash white (a cold white shade) to bone white (a warm white shade). It's up to you - fluff will support either. Oh, and the whole 1st Company (aka Deathwing) comes with Terminator armour - so yeah, you get at least 100 white Terminators in the DA Chapter. Officers (that are members of the DW and indeed the Inner Circle) could have more personalised armour - but I think white should be predominant - unless they are Chaplains or Librarians in which case black and blue respetively is legit...

For me, Terminator armour suits should look somewhat individualistic anyway. Part of that, at least in my army, includes the occasional shoulder pad or similar armour portion in either DA green or black, the latter indicating that the wearer has a particular affinity with the Ravenwing (perhaps being a highly ranked and long-serving member of the Ravenwing before being inducted into the Inner Circle), and the former for any number of reasons (campaign badge, personal heraldry of an ordinary Tac Marine who died saving the Terminator, etc.). So mine are bone-white, other than special characters (Chaplain, Librarian, Apothecary), but with black or dark green portions too.

I play a DIY (do it yourself) successor chapter myself, but I decided to paint my Deathwing in bone white to reflect their inspiration of the Dark Angels First Company, whom my chapter first had contact with before becoming part of the Unforgiven.

I agree with our brothers that the DA Terminators must be Bone White per Fluff. But that being said, I run a DA Successor Chapter and my Terminators are painted in a mixture of Black, Grey and Teal. I have certain squads with more Black, some with more Teal and some with more Grey so they stand out from each other. Of course, it took a lot of work and I wish I had a good camera to show you.

This is my page: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=201943

I'll just have to weigh in, but it seems that their colour was changed after Caliban, as apparently the Plains World Incident was just one of the parables and metaphors told to the lower-ranked Dark Angels to prepare them for the tale of the Fall. After all, the story of Plains World is about a group of Dark Angels who go crusading around the galaxy, return to their home world only to find it corrupted, and proceed to purge the planet. They succeed at the cost of their leader, and are marked by the shame of the incident forever. Now, where have I heard that story before? ;)

Remember, the Dark Angels can't say "oh, the Deathwing have bone-coloured armour ever since the Fall", because to the lower-ranked brethren, the Fall never occurred, so any changes resulting from that incident need to have a different cause. The Plains World incident was a story made up to explain the different colouration, while preparing the listener for the actual truth.

Per the background it is ash not a bleached bone, so they should be white/grey. Which I've always found to be rather humorous.

Wasn't the change due to epic 40k having another black army, and GW wanted something that stood out?

I'd also like to add that the paint 'bleached bone' is not the colour of bone, bleached or otherwise, so some shading and/or highlighting is required if you take the "bone coloured armour" statement literally. exsulis81 is correct that the colour originates with the white ash used by Cloud Runner and his companions to paint their black armour. It was a funerary rite of their people that nobody would be around to perform for them as they all expected to die fighting the 'stealers.

As with so much of the Dark Angels lore it's a little muddled and the best plan is to focus on the parts you find most appealing. If that leads you to white/cream/yellow/green/black/orange/blue/grey terminators then roll with it.

Per the background it is ash not a bleached bone, so they should be white/grey. Which I've always found to be rather humorous.

Wasn't the change due to epic 40k having another black army, and GW wanted something that stood out?

Makes me more confident in my painting scheme for them ;) Though I went to the Ash color more because I've never been able to do bleached bone termies very nicely.

Archived