Is there any reason to take PP/Chainsword?

appiah4

Plasma pistol and Chainsword has always been an iconic armament for the Astartes.. But as I go around looking at my codex, I realize that taking a Plasma Pistol and Bolt Pistol is almost always and option and definitely a better choice.

It's kind of sad.

I'm not missing something right?

And twin plasma pistols are even better! Essencially you are correct, but pp/chainsword is a very rare combination compared to bp/chainsword (all Assault Marines, basic sgts), bp/power weapon or pp/power weapon.

Also, try 10x Vanguard Veterans with pp/pp B)

Oof. I just realized that you are right, there's no real in-game reason to take a chainsword if upgrading to a better pistol. You can beat on people just as effectively with a pistol in hand as you can with a chainsword. That kinda stinks from a modelling and fluff perspective.

This is why the "Heavy Chainsword" should have just been a regular Chainsword...

My Sister Superior can swap her Bolter and/or Bolt Pistol for a Chainsword for free. Not a CCW, specifically a Chainsword. I was so gutted when I found out that was just a page-padding manoeuvre.

Of course there's a reason - it looks awesome. In game, you will get a slight reduction...but how often will 1 extra Bolt Pistol shot make that much of a difference? It seems insignificant enough to me for Rule of Cool to trump it every time. Heck, I was previously running (Combi-)Bolter/Chainsword or Power Weapon/Chainsword for the looks - all throughout the previous edition there has also been no reason to hang on to the Chainsword if upgrading to another CC weapon or a better pistol (when you didn't have the Gunslinger rule it still gave you the option to take on light troops without risk to the Sergeant or heavy infantry depending on what was needed that turn).

If I might hijack the discussion a little, I think the greater question is whether the Plasma Pistol is a decent upgrade or not (I'm wondering for my Tactical Squads - I had wanted to take Combi-Flamer/Plasma Gun/Multi-Melta set-up, but with all the new rules I was wondering if Plasma Pistol/Flamer/Multi-Melta was better instead)? "Gets Hot" isn't that much of a risk for a Marine, and Pistols might be fired more than once per game these days what with Overwatch and the ability to actually fail charges.

But yes, to recap and to get back on-topic, there's a darn good reason to take the Plasma Pistol/Chainsword: looks.

AP2 now does something when taking on vehicles and for armies that aren't BA and don't get access to melta on assault squads a PP can add an extra punch that a powerweapon won't add, without making him I1 in assault, it's not much off a reason but for vehicle hunting it's a decent backup transport killer.

Plus it's fun to paint the accelerator coils on plasma weapons.

To be honest... you can say he has PP/BP...

If we are going simply off the model there of... a Chainsword and a boltpistol have the same stat lines in assault but bonus the model to double shoot his pistols with the gunslinger rule. ... I just imagine Vengance models covered in pistols that you can easilly agree to ... a clarification of a sgt with awesome pose carrying a bp as well.

Its not a huge difference but... tweaks that make life manageable some times. I'm not a fan of the starter box sgt. either ...but if i were to use him I would at least add that to his box of options.

And twin plasma pistols are even better! Essencially you are correct, but pp/chainsword is a very rare combination compared to bp/chainsword (all Assault Marines, basic sgts), bp/power weapon or pp/power weapon.

Also, try 10x Vanguard Veterans with pp/pp :cuss

LOL My vet's would be smoking crater holes by the end of the game with my ridiculous amount of 1's i roll for plasma weapons.

Chainsword is just close combat weapon. Other than not being able to shoot a pistol there is no real down side to it and honestly there is little a humble boltpistol will do in most situations. If your going for Iconic models atleast any tactical flexability you would lose would be made up for in modeling awesomness.

Archived