Citadel Spray Gun

As the topic title says: Has anyone used or had any experience with the citadel spray gun? It looks cool but I'd like to know what it's like as I am considered buying one.

Or do I just save up for an airbrush? :huh:

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Bought the spraygun last year, and for laying down the basecoat on plenty of models at once, or big ones, it's pretty darn good. The downside is lack of flexibility, since it's basically a one-trick pony. Did a quick search on amazon and found this. Not that big a leap in price, and you get something that's gonna allow you to do more than just basecoat your models.

well, it does exactly what it's designed to do, basecoat models. if thats what your going for, buy it. if you want any kind of precision, there is an airbrush at michaels art stores for about $25. same deal, canned propellent, just be really careful with citadel paints in it, especially the new ones.

Thanks for the help guys! After reading these comments and doing alittle more research, I decided to buy ... THIS ...

Now I have another toy to play with :lol:

And if it doesn't work out at least it was cheap.

Thanks again,

Chaplain Hiltraud

(Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood) :)

Are you going to get ripped off on $10-15 cans (that pretty much need to be used all in one go) or will you spring for an air compressor? I have one I got at a yard sale, an Airstream, for a few bucks and is in great condition. I'm an avid fan of garage sales and go most every weekend they have them if I can and see similar crop up at least every few weeks or so as people often start off small and as they expand their usage of it they upgrade then selling their perfectly fine old one at the garage sale since they have no use for the smaller one. Best way to find one at yard sales is to bring your airbrush and some water with you as you go so you can test it out. If you have an attachment to fill tires, or the compressor comes with one (many I see come with an assortment of extras), you can use that instead to test the quality. Then there is the golden rile of yard sales; haggle like your in Life of Brian.

I have an air brush and I still use my GW spray gun for basing large models (last one I did was FW tigershark). Mainly because I've not bought a larger gun for my compressor, but partly because it works really well and I don't feel the need to replace it. Although I find it really needs to be a hot day to get the best out of it.

I have an air brush and I still use my GW spray gun for basing large models (last one I did was FW tigershark). Mainly because I've not bought a larger gun for my compressor, but partly because it works really well and I don't feel the need to replace it. Although I find it really needs to be a hot day to get the best out of it.

You can get one at places like Harbor Freight for $10-15 of slightly better quality for just the larger spray. Sometimes, they'll be on sale for less. Most of GW's tools are sadly not up to par with what can be found elsewhere, like their foam cutter which was the Wonder Cutter brand with a Games Workshop sticker on it marked up from $2 at Michael's (at the time it was released) to what was it $20-30 or somewhere in that range. The real benefit of the GW one is that it looks like a hand flamer so as you coat your non-Imperium models you can yell "PURGE THE XENOS, THE MUTANT, AND THE HERETIC!" Yes, I know for a fact you do that.

I am not advocating replacing your GW spray gun, especially since you are pleased with the results, but also because you already dropped a good chunk of cash on so you might as well get your money's worth, but when you finally need to replace, definitely shop around and see what else there is as you might also find tools you never knew you needed and that GW will eventually try to make (I'm waiting on the chainsword shaped GW rotary tool). For me, I found that my 2 ton lathe is a pretty handy tool to have for terrain making and now I want to get a mini one to go with it (one of those hobby ones that can go to very fine diameters).

You can get one at places like Harbor Freight for $10-15 of slightly better quality for just the larger spray. Sometimes, they'll be on sale for less. Most of GW's tools are sadly not up to par with what can be found elsewhere, like their foam cutter which was the Wonder Cutter brand with a Games Workshop sticker on it marked up from $2 at Michael's (at the time it was released) to what was it $20-30 or somewhere in that range. The real benefit of the GW one is that it looks like a hand flamer so as you coat your non-Imperium models you can yell "PURGE THE XENOS, THE MUTANT, AND THE HERETIC!" Yes, I know for a fact you do that.

I am not advocating replacing your GW spray gun, especially since you are pleased with the results, but also because you already dropped a good chunk of cash on so you might as well get your money's worth, but when you finally need to replace, definitely shop around and see what else there is as you might also find tools you never knew you needed and that GW will eventually try to make (I'm waiting on the chainsword shaped GW rotary tool). For me, I found that my 2 ton lathe is a pretty handy tool to have for terrain making and now I want to get a mini one to go with it (one of those hobby ones that can go to very fine diameters).

Lol, thanks for the info. My point was the GW flamer isn't that bad and I don't think it's to badly priced and is an excellent starting place for people wanting dip their toes in the airbrushing pond.

The Games Workshop one is currently $33 on their website, that is more than double what you can get from one of those discount tool stores for similar quality ($10-15, less if there is a coupon in their flier that week). If it was cheaper when you bought it, then perhaps it may have been reasonable enough, but now, not so much. For those on a tight gaming budget, the price difference is almost, if not actually, the cost of some blisters. While there is nothing really wrong with the GW spray gun as a spray gun, as you have experienced, I feel obligated to point out that those wishing to dip into the compressed air tools may wish to look elsewhere for their tools if they can so they can spend more money on the models instead. Obviously some folks will not have that option and need to purchase their hobby supplies where they game (I know a few in that position since they are high schoolers who have a strictly cash budget and lack for easy transportation at will), but almost GW tool has a cheaper alternative elsewhere, usually hobby stores, automotive stores, tool shops, or hardware stores.

Sorry I just don't see £20 as to much to pay for it. Especially as you can get some top notch advice at the same time you buy it from people who are using it for the same reason you will be. For people who know little to nothing at all about such a product it can very confusing and daunting working out what qualities are important in an airbrush/gun.

Archived