banners

Pyro X

I know that they havn't really used them much, that I've seen, but does anyone use the squad banners to denote squads? I know

that they used to have them alot in 2nd and 3rd ed. I was thinking of how to make my tactical squads etc stand out more so I

thought of doing that for the squads and characters. any thoughts?

I love banners. It's one of the reasons I went for DA because of all their cool banners and iconography. I try to make sure all of my sargeants have back banners. Usually just the sculpted ones on the DA vet sprue. I magnetize them for easy transport and also because if they get smacked they just pop off instead of breaking.

To make my squads stand out I try to customize each marine in the squad. Not sure if that's the standing out you mean. I have guys with running legs firing as they run and holding the muzzle of the bolter down. I have guys kneeling and reloading their bolters. I have guys throwing grenades or pointing or looking at auspexes etc. LOADS of bits to use on the DA vets sprue as well to make your guys look unique.

yea I was going for the effect of each squad having its own banner. I was wanting to go with the magnets in them also just in cause I didn't like it or if I did like it to make it easier to transport like spwolf said.

I was going to print some of them off from there because they did look nice. but I'm trying to decide how I want to do the banners.

like if I want to try and make some from green stuff, print the banners and use a hobby knife and cut past the paper into the banner

for guide lines to paint over or just use stock paper. I also found a guy that would print stuff onto cloth but not sure how well it would look.

I'll post pics when I'm done with it cause I think it will look good after its all done.

I started doing banners like this for my sergeants in the early nineties, when sculpted plastic banners were but a twinkle in Jes Goodwin's eye. They're simply paper with the design drawn in pencil, coloured in with paint and the squad number transfer applied over the top.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/Dark_Angel_sergeants.jpg

I just paint the appropriate squad badge onto the appropriate shoulder pad...backpack banners are dumb. I am thinking about making azzy's personal banner...to be borne by a watcher! If the rumor of a new azzy model is new, I'll go with the unhelmeted version, and have an entire entourage of watchers in the dark following him around! One with his banner, one with his gun, and one with the lion helm.... Other than that, though, if it's not brother bethor or another actual banna-wava, no banners!

I think the squad banners help the unit stick out on the battlefield, and when the whole army is together provide a nice rallying point for each squad. I use a plain plastic marine banner, replace the top with a Dark Angel icon from the upgrade sprues, and use a transfer as the basis for the image.

For the Chaplain below I used a Deathwing transfer, then when it had set added a skull transfer to get close to the Chappie banners from the Dark Fortress:

gallery_10904_7349_846861.jpg

For the squads I paint the 3rd Company's red diagonal stripe onto a dark green background, add a vehicle sized DA chapter symbol and then freehand the squad number in the bottom left:

gallery_10904_7349_871997.jpg

gallery_10904_7349_736032.jpg

Archived