Dante or Astorath

JamesI

When the FAQ came out, my initial reaction was why would any one play Astorath over Dante (assuming not a DC heavy army) if both are I1.

But since then I've thought about it and am trying to decide who I like better. Both have major advantages, maybe this isn't a situation where one is better than the other.

But assuming a jumper heavy list (but not tailored to either one, obviously Dante wins if the list uses Sanguinary Guard, Astorath for DC) who do people prefer now?

Dante has hit and run, no scatter deep strike, his melta, more attacks and wounds.

Astorath has the forced reroll of enemy invul saves, the red thirst increase and chaplain rerolls.

could be interesting to run them together with a unit of DC in a large game!

I prefer Dante... mostly because I've been a Dante and Tycho Fanboy since 3rd ed codex first came out and I stick to my loyalties through thick and thin.

Astoraths ability to increase chance of red thirst is O.K. but seeing as fearless means no going to ground... not sure it's all THAT good to have. The rerolling of invulnerables could be useful though

Well, considering my love of Sanguinary Guard, Dante wins in my mind. But I'm really curious in a list that isn't using Sanguinary Guard/DC. Say assault marines, vanguard and support units.

I always felt that Astorath allowed you to not take as many priests due to having more red thirst and thus furious charge. Of course, now FC has been weakened.

I still think this would be a more interesting discussion if Astorath's axe were not FAQed to be unwieldy. Astorath at I5 (and likely AP3) versus Dante's I1, Ap2 would be a harder choice in my mind.

I've not run Dante yet in 6th ed. I keep having every intention to playtest him but my lack of owning any Sanguinary Guard (I bought one box, but used it to make 2 Librarians, 2 Priests and a count-as Astorath) severely limits my army-listing.

Since I've never run Dante in 6th, I'm running on theory--- but in theory in a list with no preference to DC or SG, Dante does seem to bring more to the table than Astorath.

Primary reasons for my judgement call is Dante's Death Mask (really excellent wargear, always overlooked when people discuss Dante) combined with Hit and Run. His no-scatter doesn't do much for me since I tend to refrain from reserving forces. If only he could join Vanguard Vets and not remove Heroic Intervention! LOL Sadly can't, which is probably for the best...

That being said, I really dig my Astorath DC lists. Not overboard on the DC, but two 310pt Units of DC does really well! Super-rippy killy, tons of fun to play.

However, the far bigger question for me is not 'Dante or Astorath?'.... its 'Dante or Mephiston?' Seeing as I've mentioned I've never playtested Dante in 6th, you can imagine who wins that determination IMHO!

I am curious why people feel obliged to bring Sanguinary Guard when they bring Dante, is because how they look?

Dante makes Sang Guard a troops choice; all the benefits of a 2+ save scoring unit, without using up vital elite slots.

You don't NEED to bring Sang guard to make either dante or astorath worth it however, both characters Bring PLENTY to the table in a regular list. In my opinion its a very situational thing, excluding their FOC changing lists I think it still comes down to the type of list your running.

You don't NEED to bring Sang guard to make either dante or astorath worth it however, both characters Bring PLENTY to the table in a regular list. In my opinion its a very situational thing, excluding their FOC changing lists I think it still comes down to the type of list your running.

Never truer words, I agree with you Daboarder.

For me, its a weird personal thing. I'm quite fastidious when it comes to efficiency, so when I bring a model to the table that costs as much as 10 Assault Marines all by himself, I feel impinged if I don't utilize each and all of his abilities. So since I don't own Sanguinary Guard and rarely reserve units, I don't make use of two of Dante's abilities. For me, the no-scatter Deep Strike would require building my entire list to capitalize on the fact my Warlord will be dropping right into a Danger Zone. I know its not limited to that usage, but if he doesn't drop somewhere tricky then again, wasted ability.

For the same reasons, I feel I must take two DC units when I take Astorath.

Archived