Death Wing Assault question

Lord Morgrim

Beware of the restriction for how many points/units can start the game in reserve (up to half).

That rule is under a bit of contention by more than a few people who play Deathwing. Seeing as the question did not get answered in the FAQ from last week, then the answer seems to still be up in the air.

It's pretty much killed off the Deathwing.

I didn't think it was up in the air at all. Why the contention? It always seemed fairly clear cut to me. Half your army can start in reserve and half, rounded up, of the Deathwing units held in reserve can DWA and deep strike in on the first turn. So in answer to the original question, yes if you hold one DW in reserve they can indeed deepstrike on turn one.

If you run a Ravenwing bike squad they all have teleport homers so you can scout them forward, start your first turn, then deepstrike in the Deathwing on their position without scattering. It's very fluffy, very effective and it scares the poop out of players that have never faced it before and don't know how to deploy to negate it's effectiveness.

Running one DW squad in reserve does indeed allow you to DWA them in first turn. If you run three DW squads though you get the maximum ratio of DW in on the first turn. You always want odd numbers to take advantage of the 'rounds up' rule. Oh and remember that Belial is a really cheap HQ choice. Take a look at his rules and I'm sure you can come up with something to give your opponents a headache. :(

I'm not going to get into the 6 ed. reserve rule argument again but I will add the dropping just one unsupported DW unit first turn all by its lonesome can be disastrous for them. Be sure you use placement to your advantage as most opponents will simply turn their guns on this one forward unit. Massed small arms fire spells the end of DW.

Beware of the restriction for how many points/units can start the game in reserve (up to half).

That rule is under a bit of contention by more than a few people who play Deathwing. Seeing as the question did not get answered in the FAQ from last week, then the answer seems to still be up in the air.

It's pretty much killed off the Deathwing.

"killed off the deathwing?" What breathtaking hyperbole! I don't know too many deathwing players who threw half or more of their army into reserve in the first place...most who used DWA, in my experience, would put three squads in reserve and DWA two of them. That's less than 750 points in reserve, not a big deal at 1500 points and above. And most DW players really weren't using DWA that much anyway. I, for example, have been running a mechanized deathwing list...

I don't know too many deathwing players who threw half or more of their army into reserve in the first place...most who used DWA, in my experience, would put three squads in reserve and DWA two of them. That's less than 750 points in reserve, not a big deal at 1500 points and above. And most DW players really weren't using DWA that much anyway. I, for example, have been running a mechanized deathwing list...

Indeed, but three cyclone squads plus Belial = 835, well over 50% of a 1500 list. Add in an Apoth and standard bearer, and a chainfist for each squad ... pretty much need to use three squads without an accompanying HQ, or two with.

It's not ideal as odd-number squad multiples is the most efficient number to chuck in reserve for DWA as you rounded up (so two squads came in on turn 1).

Cheers

I

The Op question regarded ONE DW Squad in reserve, not an entire army.

So, to be fair, this discussion of reserves and DWA under 6th here, in this thread, is redundant.

Back on topic: yes, as long as the unit in question has the rule, it can deep strike on the first turn. If you have a squad of RW with Teleport homers, it can come down next to them, as well.

I don't know too many deathwing players who threw half or more of their army into reserve in the first place...most who used DWA, in my experience, would put three squads in reserve and DWA two of them. That's less than 750 points in reserve, not a big deal at 1500 points and above. And most DW players really weren't using DWA that much anyway. I, for example, have been running a mechanized deathwing list...

Indeed, but three cyclone squads plus Belial = 835, well over 50% of a 1500 list. Add in an Apoth and standard bearer, and a chainfist for each squad ... pretty much need to use three squads without an accompanying HQ, or two with.

It's not ideal as odd-number squad multiples is the most efficient number to chuck in reserve for DWA as you rounded up (so two squads came in on turn 1).

Cheers

I

Hmmmm...I hadn't considered the fact that belial puts you over 50% of 1500 (and a chainfist in every squad is...unlikely in the current thundernator craze, not to mention far less useful in 6th)...but since every LGS I've frequented in four states in the last ten years has played either 1750 or 1850 as a "standard game," it's still not a problem in my eyes...even if it made it necessary to keep bels out of the reserve element...it hardly "kills off the deathwing!!!!" Thinking about it...given that the VP that bels represents now, he's not anywhere near the throwaway pain sponge that he was in 5th...maybe sticking him in an objective camping squad on your own half of the board isn't the worst idea ever?

It's units not points ? Course it is it's easier to calculate *slaps forehead*. Must read rulebook <_<

So to deploy 3 DW squads+Belial, you would only need 4 units on the table. That's pretty easily done, especially if people are taking Land Speeder Typhoons.

Exactly. As an example, I played it this way last weekend:

I had 13 units in my army. 13/2 = 6.5, rounds up to 7, so up to 7 units could be kept in reserve.

I deployed 6 units (tanks, dreadnoughts and Ravenwing) on the table and kept the other 7 (5 Deathwing squads, Belial and a librarian) in reserve. At this point I specified which squads the two characters were joining.

Beginning of my first turn 3 Deathwing squads (5/2 = 2.5, rounds up to 3) arrived by deep strike using the Deathwing Assault rule. Because Belial and the librarian had joined two of these units when I placed them in reserve, they arrived as part of those squads.

The remaining 2 Deathwing squads made normal reserve rolls from turn 2 onwards.

The key thing to remember is that independent characters are counted when calculating how many units may be placed in reserve, but not when calculating how many Deathwing squads may arrive on turn 1.

It's units not points ? Course it is it's easier to calculate *slaps forehead*. Must read rulebook :D

May I join you in that facepalm? I haven't had but two games of 6th, been playing WFB mostly, LOL...and certainly haven't come close to putting half of my army in reserve...

It's units not points ? Course it is it's easier to calculate *slaps forehead*. Must read rulebook :D

May I join you in that facepalm? I haven't had but two games of 6th, been playing WFB mostly, LOL...and certainly haven't come close to putting half of my army in reserve...

Be my guest Mr march10k. I do so hate facepalming alone :cuss.

I've played in 6th but I'm still conditioned to 5th and have made lots of errors thus far.

Cheers

I

Archived