Jump Infantry with IC on Bike

Morollan

I'm toying with the idea of attaching a Librarian on a bike to one of my Assault Squads. If my reading of the rules is correct, they can both move up to 12" in the movement phase, shoot at full effect (assuming no rapid fire weapons in assault squad) and charge 2d6". The bike gets HoW on assault and, if I limit the Assault Squad to 6" move in the movement phase, so do they.

Any drawbacks that anyone can think of? I was going to make him an Epistolary and give him Biomancy powers and a Force Axe.

I use this setup in every game and it works great. You missed the biggest advantage and that is that the bike is not slowed down by a charge trough terraine (but will have to take a dangerous test) so if you make the charge with the bike and then can maintain squad coherancy with the nerfed charge from the jump infantery the charge will succeed. Also T5 on the libby. The only drawback is that he can,t stand on impassable and can not jump over walls and stuff.

I use this setup in every game and it works great. You missed the biggest advantage and that is that the bike is not slowed down by a charge trough terraine (but will have to take a dangerous test) so if you make the charge with the bike and then can maintain squad coherancy with the nerfed charge from the jump infantery the charge will succeed. Also T5 on the libby. The only drawback is that he can,t stand on impassable and can not jump over walls and stuff.

Excellent point. I'd not thought about the charging through terrain. Okay, I think I'll give it a go. The alternative is to lose one of my JP assault squads and add in a smaller bike squadron (5 bikes plus attack bike). Thanks for the comments.

The only one I can think of is that the libby won't be able to run... can you turbo boost while the squad runs?

Can't see any reason why not.

Just one thought on the terrain issue. In order for this to work, the biker would need to be the closest model to the target unit right? Otherwise, another model would need to be moved first, would not have the necessary charge range and the charge would fail.

I use this setup in every game and it works great. You missed the biggest advantage and that is that the bike is not slowed down by a charge trough terraine (but will have to take a dangerous test)

Now Jump infantry ignore terrain when jumping into assault (just taking the DT test)

The bike does not get to reroll charge distance, so you lose that advantage to using jump packs.

DomJ: From the OP:

The bike gets HoW on assault and, if I limit the Assault Squad to 6" move in the movement phase, so do they.

A massive benefit to using assault infantry is pretty much guaranteeing the charge by jumping into combat. You cant do that with a bike.

The main question is, why would you want to attach a bike libby to the unit in the first place? The T bonus doesn't help him as you wound on majority toughness, and you will just LO,S! Any S10 AP3/2 hits away onto other guys.

The main question is, why would you want to attach a bike libby to the unit in the first place? The T bonus doesn't help him as you wound on majority toughness, and you will just LO,S! Any S10 AP3/2 hits away onto other guys.

Mostly agree. The benefits being safety from Strength 8&9 Instant Death, being able to take Feel No Pain versus those strengths, and always having a cover save even in the open.

So if you take an unlucky meltagun shot where you fail LoS!, then you get 5+ Cover and 5+ FnP and then you only lose 1 wound.

Archived