Alrighty, new Dark Angels player

MadMek83

Hello everyone!

Like quite many lately, I have started new army, Dark Angels, via Dark vengeance box (I split box via my friend who is starting chaos). Now I got cheaply used Codex and been reading alot of it, 4th edition codex, Codex creep nothing new as I play Eldar's aswell, but looking the Codex, the plasma nut like me, I am getting rather excited about this codex nd upcomming 6th edition codex.

So far I am considering getting some veterans and make shooty 10 man, yet expensive Veteran squad with bolters and stormshields / combatsheilds depending on the points I have and adding 1 fist, few metlta bombs but I am yet undecided if I go for missile or plasma cannon and plasmagun or flamer. I am considering making DA version of Legion of Damned, shooty with as good protection as possible to absorb some fire and provide good midrange firebase that can also survive against plasma and melta spam or everyones favourite vindicator. Not that I can expect really that 6th codex would keep stormshields as cheap as they currently are, but I love the idea of stormshields with bolters.

Assault bike or two might be handy addition and rhino is always useful or two. Rest vehicles I probably will hold out till new codex hits the shelves. So I guess I am here to say: I am eagerly wanting to learn Dark Angels and their play style after spending alot time playing Blood Angels. I am grateful for all advices tips and tricks you have for me.

I'd wait to buy some of the stuff till like you said the book comes out. that being said there is some things that I'm sure will always be good to get.

Anything Ravenwing and deathwing imo will be good. Attack bikes are so much better then they used to be in 5th and even more so as a DA player.

If your thinking of adding Sammael into your list not only is he T5 with 2 wounds, but he's a troop choice and can take objectives. Combat Vets do

look cool and I was wanting to make a shooty list with them as well but I'm holding off to see what happens with the new dex.

Sammael turns bikes into troop choices. Sammael does not count as a scoring unit and cannot take objectives.

I would suggest more tactical squad choices as a first step. You always seem to need more than what you have... Transports, Termies and Tanks..

Edit: Other than that I agree with Pyro... Wait for the new codex.

I will wait for Sammael, since if I now buy jetbike and he comesout regular bike as Rumoured, I will wait the 'dex.

I just got 2nd Dark Vegeance Tacticals Squad and Ravenwing bike set for very reasonable price still in sprue. So I got now 20 tacticals and 6 bikes. Bikes and tacticals seem to be way to go now. Still I might get that Dark Angels veteran box off the shelf that is currently - 20% of MSRP... It still has nice upgrade sprue... And thank you everyone for input. Gives me bit thinking. And now I got more models to paint. I míght need more green though.

I don't think two tacticals for beginning is too much. After all, you currently cannot use deathwing as troops without Belial, so 2nd Tacticals was almost must so I can get learning game soon.

Yep, the two tactical squads and the 6 Ravenwing bikes (one or two squads, depending) plus the Master and the Librarian are a great place to start. Play some small point games with them to get a feel for stuff. The Vets box is full of some really great bits and if you don't completely douse your marines in bits you can make them last quite a long time, too - for you, I might recommend building them armed with other special weapons or Sergeant loadouts to swap into your tac squad. Or you can make them into a command squad, too. A Devastator box is also probably a good thing to pick up for access to a bunch of other heavy weapons.

Archived