Dark Angels Successive Chapters

Forgefather

I just picked up the Dark Vengeance (well, okay, not "just". It's been a week or longer by now) box and have been very busy painting the Chaos models to represent a bunch of Word Bearers (yes, yes, heresy, I know the drill). Anyhoo, I was originally planning to sell the Dark Angels models (Heresy, again, I'm aware) but after taking a good, long look at the sprue I decided to put them together anyway. About half an hour later and several trips on the glue vapours further I decided that I'd rather shoot myself in the foot with a boltgun than to sell the models. They're absolutely amazing, from the studded Terminator Armour to the Ravenwing bikes. And let's not forget the awesome HQ models.

As soon as they were put together I started to brainstorm about colours. I was originally tempted to go for a standard Dark Angels army, but slowly I drifted more and more towards one of the Successive Chapters. I'm not entirely sure which one yet, but it pretty much all comes down to a simple question:

Do the Dark Angel Successive Chapters also use the special Ravenwing and Deathwing company setup? And if so, do they use different colour schemes for these two Companies, too?

Because let's be honest, one of the things that make the Dark Angels so awesome to paint/field/look at (in my opinion) are the colour schemes; with the right mix and subtlety you can field an amazingly-good looking armour that incorporates both black, beige, and dark green colour schemes, something I've always been a fan of (Blood Angels with their Death Company black, Blood Angels red and Sanguiniary Guard gold is another example I'd love to work on sooner or later).

I'm hoping that the Successive Chapters would use a likewise colour scheme, but if not I'd probably go back to a standard Dark Angel army. Does anyone have any idea?

Sidenote here; yus, I'm originally a Space Wolves player. But honestly, who could say no to building a Dark Angels army?

-Successor Chapters do use the 1st Company as all Terminators, 2nd Company as all bikes and speeders configuration/set up/order of battle, yes.

-They do not all use different colors for these units, or even different names. Some simply maintain the same Chapter color scheme for their TDA/bikes/speeders, others don't. Officially we actually don't have any information in the Codex on which Chapters do and don't, however, from images, it appears that the Guardians of the Covenant 2nd Company is in standard Chapter livery and the Disciples of Caliban 1st Company is in standard Chapter livery. Note that this doesn't mean that you have to paint those units in that fashion. For my personal DiY Successor Chapter, the 1st Company is called the Deathwalkers and the 2nd Company is the Boneseekers. Both use a mostly black scheme with bone accents, the Boneseekers more bone than the Deathwalkers (which are supposed to actually appear more skeletal).

If you are looking for inspiration, check out this forum for the awesome work done by painters here. There are many examples of great Successor Chapter ideas, or use them as inspiration for your own.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure we'd all live to help sequester you here in our own little corner of the 40K crazy...

Do the Dark Angel Successive Chapters also use the special Ravenwing and Deathwing company setup? And if so, do they use different colour schemes for these two Companies, too?

You need to get yourself a Dark Angels codex :lol:. All or most answers are in there, on p73.

• Yes Successors have two elite first companies.

• No they aren't called 'Deathwing' and 'Ravenwing' either.

• No, most are usually painted in colours to match their respective Successor chapters' armour. Others have their own special colours – but we don't know what they are or who has them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I

They're successor chapters, but I wouldn't expect a Space Wolf to know that. We don't talk about the Wolf Brothers, right? :lol:

Friendly pedantry aside, yes the Dark Angels' successor chapters have equivalent 1st and 2nd companies. I don't believe there's an official statement on their colours other than in the Codex where it says some of them use the bone/black livery. I'm sure I quoted that passage in another discussion about a week ago but I can't find the topic again now. It appears two other replies snuck in while I was looking anyway.

Thanks for the fast responses, guys. I'll pick up a DA Codex asap. Guess it's back to Dark Angels for me though. Perhaps I'll whip up a Successive Chapter squad or two later on, just for the schemes.

About the Wolf Brothers... well... At least they didn't go down the Fallen route, eh?

Jokes aside, thanks again for the responses and guess it's back to sipping paint water for me. I'll be back with some WIP pictures.

Now the new edition did just come out....

- has anyone heard what the schedule is for codex's? I figured I would just start building my successor chapter and build up a surplus of models and wait for the DA codex.

- I was going to try and go with and all robed force, so they look like a bunch of bad ace warrior monks.

IronDragon66

Archived