How effective are DA Librarians?

Tamwulf

meh, flat out changing rules isn't something unheard of. That's how we got 3++ storm shields. Perhaps it's a point cost issue. I think the real reason is that our new codex is right around the corner and they didn't want to go changing rules to have them change again. Just speculation though.

I absolutely love Ezekiel. The model has always appealed to me, and the new psychic powers that he has access to just make it that much easier to use him. When playing a game, my first choice is usually the HQ, and at least 80% of the time, it's Ezekiel that I take over anyone else. My favorite setup is to stick him inside a close combat oriented terminator squad (for ablative 3++) and make sure to include the apothecary in with him instead of/or alongside with Belial. Something like that is bound to draw all sorts of attention, so anything you can do with their position to keep them alive helps a ton.

IMHO the main reason we didn't get a higher mastery than lvl 1 is because of the option to keep the old powers: could you imagine Ezekiel with 2, or even 3, psychic invulnerable saves? That alone would have caused a lot of grief, so I bet they just fixed as is for now until the new book.

Everyone looking at taking a libby in a pod, just remember that you cannot use prescience on the turn that you Deepstrike as blessings are cast at the start of the movement phase, and models coming in from reserve are not allowed to use powers that are cast at the start of that phase. That is reason enough for me to just deploy the librarian on the board.

Even Ezekiel sucks. H,mm. Either I can use one of thse thre powers...or activate this force wssrod here. Hmmm."

The answer to the problem is, take an Allied Librarian and 1 Troop choice from whatever codex you want to. As the Blood Angels have certain psychic powers that really fit the Dark Angels well, that is certainly a viable option, but the C: SM HQ Librarian with some of the newer psychic powers also avoids the "I'm a Dark Angels Librarian with the ability to use only ONE power- I suck!" syndrome that will be around for at least a few more months. The Allies rules also allows us to fit in units we would like to have, and/or that it makes sense for the DA to have (i.e. Mortis-style SM/BA/SW/GK Dreads and such).

Archived