Gulliman Heresy (Some Fear to Tread Spoilers inside)

Blindhamster

Hey Guys,

Take a look at this project:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry3174658

They're asking for additional input from fellow Blood Angels after I noted that the concept of Sanguinius falling to chaos was a bit far fetched, I noted down the reasoning for why I felt it was inappropriate as currently handled.

As it stands, They have Sanguinius falling to chaos, Khorne to be exact, but no reasoning is given for this, as it stands I simply felt it could do with either being heavily fleshed out, or outright changed.

Below is my post:

I've now read the vast majority of the thread (skipping the odd short post)

A lot of this stuff is great, but other things simply do not sit right with me.

Now obviously as a Blood Angel player it's probably unsurprising that I have issues with Sanguinius going traitor... but there it is, based on all the established canon for him, there is simply no way he would.

That being said, if the desire is to have the Blood Angels follow Khorne, I'd suggest:

Have Guilliman essentially perform the same plot that Horus does and send the Angels to Sigmus (or make a new place for it to be set). The events unfold almost exactly as they do now, but instead of one of the other Blood Angels saving the day do either:

a) Sanguinius 'sacrifices' himself and takes all the rage within him thus essentially becoming a Daemon Primarch Instantly - Note that then all the Blood Angels are cured of the Rage and would in theory be loyalists - or More likely very dead.

cool.gif Sanguinius is never awoken from his coma as all the librarians that try to wake him are killed by the enraged Blood Angels. This means no Daemon Sanguinius which IMO is better, but a proper Khornate Blood Angel Legion.

c) Events unfold exactly as they do currently, Blood Angels are loyalists.

basically, if everyone is hell bent on traitor BA'd I'd go option B, option A is about the only possible way Sanguinius would 'turn', and it's purely in an act to save his sons - the only thing he cares about more than possibly the emperor. In Fear to Tread he only doesn't save his sons because one lone Apothacary decides to save his leige lord instead.

Most of the others you've opted to have go traitor are already noted as having personalities or character flaws that would make it plausible, whereas Sanguinius' only flaw seems to be how much he cares about his sons...

That being said, feel free to disregard what I've just said. Just my humble opinion afterall

Input?

In general, I'd say I agree, option B is the most likely in my mind after reading Fear to Tread. That said, there is a chance that if Sanguinius absorbed the Ragefire (which is not, I'll note, the Red Thirst) he would remain lucid enough to not kill everybody and the Blood Angels would turn then and there. There's another possibility there as well. It's possible that Sanguinius absorbing the Ragefire would create a psychic event similar to that which happened upon his death, cursing the Blood Angels to another sort of Rage. In fact, due to proximity, they could all fall to it at once, and become the Khornate legion they are begging to be. This is my favorite option (albeit unlikely) simply because a LEGION of Death Company is friggin awesome. I would totally field it.

I'm curious to see what is done with the Red Angel. They've created this awesome character, that is intrinsically linked to the Blood Angels, and it'd be a shame if nothing happened with that storyline after Fear to Tread.

Horus was dying when he became possessed. As far as we know he may actually have been dead before possession took place. Whatever the preperation Erebus put Horus through Horus was wounded with an alien tech, the Anathema. He sicken to near death and was then turned over to cultist for many days of rituals. Horus emerged something other than himself.

What truely did him in was not his own failings but his Legions desperate act to save him. Are you saying that the Sons of Sanguinius would be less desperate to save thier Primarch or that they are a Legion more loyal to the Emperor? OK, yeah they most likely were more Loyal to the Emperor and would have let Sanguinius expire rather than turn him over to a suspect coven of savages. I think, maybe ...

Definitely appreciating the input, guys. Any insight you gentlemen may have would be a great help as you (individually and collectively) probably know a hell of alot more about the BA and Sanguinius than I or Cormac would. Suggestions and comments are always welcome, here or in the main thread (see my sig).

Thanks for branching this out, Blindhamster. :rolleyes:

That said, there is a chance that if Sanguinius absorbed the Ragefire (which is not, I'll note, the Red Thirst) he would remain lucid enough to not kill everybody and the Blood Angels would turn then and there.

based on what happened in Fear to Tread, I don't see why the legion would've turned then and there? Sanguinius taking the ragefire within himself would've filled him with the rage that basically destroyed Meros, but it would've also ensured it no longer had an effect on the legion, at least as far as it's described.

So... either Sanguinius would've gone nuts from the ragefire (unlikely considering what happens with Meros) or he just becomes more prone to extreme rage... or he becomes less noble of bearing and one or both of the two, and likely more susceptible to the lure of Khorne... But with the legion being Lucid once more, I doubt very much that they'd have turned on the Imperium after all they'd just seen.

What truely did him in was not his own failings but his Legions desperate act to save him

Based on the books, I'd not say that is so... the wounding just made it easier, but the seed of doubt was already there, he never wanted to be Warmaster, and he was deeply hurt by the 'abandonment' of the Emperor, more so than perhaps any other Primarch.

And no... the Blood angels wouldn't have trusted some crazed tribe people to save Sanguinius - they didn't have the corrupting influence of the lodges, and they proved how self sufficient they are in their rescue of Sanguinius on Sigmus (Librarians work together to save their 'father')

That being said....

I could totally go for Sanguinius never recovering from his wounds and Guilliman therefore being successful where Horus was not - disposing of the competition (sanguinius) while gaining a devoted legion of Khornate Blood Angels.

p.s. Indeed, I'm interested to see what they do with the Red Angel now too.

First of all, thanks a lot BlindHamster for getting the word out and trying to get us some help on this. I've already replied in the original thread, but since this thread is also up I'd like to re-post it here as well. Any insights a BA fan could give would be grateful, either in what works or what doesn't work. Hopefully, you would all like it, but we'll see. First of all, a disclaimer: I have not read Fear to Tread, and I feel that the events of that battle shouldn't apply to the Guilliman Heresy. They are too much a product of Horus' fall, and that the events we have so far put forth for the Guilliman Heresy don't really make it suitable to have the same battle. Horus sends the Blood Angels to that world directly following his fall to Chaos, in one of his attempts to remove a powerful enemy from the game before he starts his civil war. In the Guilliman Heresy, Horus is dead before this happens. He, in fact, chooses death rather than betrayal, thanks to the interventions of other characters who are being developed differently in our alternate universe. So if Sanguinius only dedicates himself and his Legion to that world because he's ordered to by the Warmaster, and in ours there is no Warmaster at that point, why would he go? As far as I know, he didn't even know that world existed until he was ordered to it. But anyway, before I start rewording and rewriting what I already have wrote, here's what I posted in the original thread:

That being said, feel free to disregard what I've just said. Just my humble opinion afterall

Disregard? Never! Even the worst possible advice or idea can still further the Guilliman Heresy by making us think about things. But your ideas are far from terrible. In fact, I rather like this one:

B ) Sanguinius is never awoken from his coma as all the librarians that try to wake him are killed by the enraged Blood Angels. This means no Daemon Sanguinius which IMO is better, but a proper Khornate Blood Angel Legion.

It fits rather well, I think. For one thing, I've been trying to push the whole Angelic thing as much as the Vampiric for our Khornate Angels. And having our "Lucifer" be a hidden, never seen being hidden in the depths of the Warp is rather fitting. It also has a nice vampiric ring to it, that he's in a death-like coma but has lived for millennia, and will live for many more.

So here's what I think. First of all, he doesn't get sent off to that world like Horus does. That's directly following Horus' turn, before everyone realizes it yet. In the GH, Horus chooses death and it's a few years before Guilliman makes his fateful plunge. So making Sanguinius' turn rooted in the same battle doesn't really fit. But it obviously was set up as a trap for the Blood Angels. So perhaps Khorne rages at his trap failing, and when Guilliman turns he becomes a bit more emphatic with his attempts to entrap the Blood Angels.

It's no longer one world, one war. Where ever the Blood Angels go, Khorne's minions strike. For nearly an entire year, as the Blood Angels strive in vain to break through the Warp storms that cloud the galaxy, they are beset on every side by everything that Khorne can send at them, and he sends a lot. It's on another world that they finally succeed in casting Sanguinius down. Here's how I see it. It starts off of as a naval war over a barren rock of a world. Sanguinius and his flagship, along with other Blood Angels' ships, are cornered by mortal-held ships of their own fleet, and others come out of the Warp with bizarre shapes and chaotic designs. Betrayed by the weak-willed, and under attack by the unkillable and unfathomable, the flagship burns and crashes. The Blood Angels will throw everything they have into tearing through the enemy ships, going down onto the world and getting Sanguinius away, but the price is very high. Their rages rise into berserk levels as they throw themselves into the enemy, tearing themselves apart in their desperation to get to their Primarch. When they land, they are beset again by daemonic hordes that carpet the world, surging like they are towards the crashed flagship. While the survivors of that Battlegroup succeed in reaching Sanguinius and getting him away, the cost was simply too high. They find Sanguinius unconscious, and the rages they let take over isn't so easily dispelled. The Legion Librarians attempt to revive their fallen lord, but the survivors feel doubt. Throughout this daemonic war waged upon them, it was the psykers that suffered first, turned first, and died first. Whatever was happening, it affected those with such curses far more than others. And so they act. First one Blood Angel, a lone survivor, slams himself into the Librarians and cuts one down before being cast back himself. Both sides will stand in shock at what just happened, until another survivor bears his sword and steps forward, followed soon after by others. The Librarians will desperately try to defend themselves while trying to save their lord, but something about their enraged brethren makes them almost impervious to their powers, and they will fall.

All across the Blood Angels fleets, the surge in bloodshed and horrific anger that will usher forth from them will leave an indelible mark. When the Warp Storms clear, and the Blood Angels return to the Imperium, they have been baptized in the worship of the Blood God. And Sanguinius sleeps.

But here's the thing. Sanguinius has a very powerful link to his Legion. And they to him. There's no way that, if the Legion falls to Khorne, that Sanguinius won't be affected himself. So while he's in the coma, I think he should change. He doesn't awake, he doesn't see what's happening to his Legion, and he can't fight against it. And so the changes that are wrought upon his Legion in his absence are mirrored on himself. The Blood Angels will feel their connection to their Primarch grow forever dim, and they will fear that they are losing him. That their Primarch is dying. But in truth this is just Khorne's influence, diminishing the psychic connection Sanguinius has with his children. But when the connection leaves forever, his vitals go out and in their minds they can feel that their lord is dead and all their science and technology proves it. But as the cries of anguish and loss echo throughout the Legion, Sanguinius will open his eyes and stand up. Alive, Sanguinius would have never countenanced the betrayal of what his Legion has become. But to say that Sanguinius is alive might no longer be accurate.

In this way, I hope I can convince a Blood Angels fan that Sanguinius could fall, by using one of his ideas and running with it. The fall to Khorne takes place with Sanguinius being unable to fight it, because he's not even really there. As he mentioned, Sanguinius loves his children and, as the Blood Angels fluff proves, he has a very powerful connection with them. So what I suggest is that this connection goes both ways. When he's in a coma, his Legion falls. And when his Legion falls, he falls. When Sanguinius goes into a coma, he is a loyalist. But the loyal Sanguinius never wakes up. What wakes up is a Daemon Primarch of Khorne.

Hopefully this is liked, because if we go with this it doesn't even retcon anything. It's an expansion on the Blood Angels' backstory, which up this point has been untouched. He'll still be able to do all the things in the Heresy that we have of him, like the Siege of Terra and the death of Angron. Red Angel vs. Red Angel is still in.

EDIT: Olisredan brought up that my rendition might make Sanguinius seem like a zombie. Just to clarify, I intended his revival and state of undeath to be vampiric. I imagine him rising from his comatose state in the same manner as Dracula from his coffin.

I'd suggest taking it a step further, have it so that Sanguinius' state is not dissimilar to that which Fulgrim briefly finds himself in - a Daemon essentially possessing Sanguinius' body, but the difference is that Sanguinius is still 'there' but trapped and unable to do anything about it, this idea is kind of sparked from what happens with Meros in FtT. The creature he becomes is no longer Sanguinius but instead something else - but the Primarch or at least a part of him might still be buried deep beneath.

This'd fit with the ideas suggested earlier in the GH thread relating to the Blood Angels still being 'Tragic'. As imagine the pain the Primarch would be in to know what his sons have become, to know what in a way he has become, but be completely and utterly unable to thwart it.

The other benefit there, is, should there be any loyalist Blood Angels after these events (perhaps one or two librarians get away?) they might hold out hope of one day 'saving' their father. Kind of mirroring the stuff with Cypher in standard canon, and also helping by giving a few loyalists from traitor legions.

I'd also suggest maybe weaving Tzeench or another Chaos god into the Khorne ideas as a reason to explain the legion wide rage that is so all encompassing. Having Khorne and Tzeench work together rather than standard canons Khorn and Slaanesh working together could work well (Horus Heresy canon reason the legion goes into a rage is due to a psychic device made by the daemons specifically for the job of emphasizing the curse).

Thoughts?

As a huge fan of the Angel, consider this.

You have Sanguinius in a coma, but instead of being unable to know what is going on, he senses everything, but is unable to stop it. Things continue apace, with the connection finally dying. Then, as stated before, he wakes up. However, rather than turning, he wakes up loyal. Having seen his Legion fall, and not being able to do anything about it has pretty much driven him insane. Long story short, I think it would be utterly badass to see him go "Death Company" on his former Legion.

As I legitimately believe that Sanguinius would never fall, I think him going nuts, killing a bunch of his former Legion, and dying due to sheer weight of numbers would be a phenomanal way to wrap up his story.

I too see no justification for Sanguinius himself to ever fall. It's why I suggested a Daemon taking possession of his body (forcefully, ideally while he is in a Coma). Of all the Primarchs, he is by far the least likely to ever turn from the Emperor, in fact I'd go as far as to say it simply wouldn't happen.

But I can understand the GH guys not wanting to change the bits they've done for Sanguinius too, hense having it not be Sanguinius but essentially a Daemon (not sure which, a canon one would be nice) simply wearing Sanguinius' skin, kind of akin to the daemon that took possession of Fulgrim for a time.

We're certainly open to suggestions and comments, guys - if it sounds much more plausible and 'fits' better with the known characters than previous iterations of the established story, then provided there isn't too many changes to their origin, it's cool. Frankly, any brain-power you can provide will be gratefully welcomed, as my own creative juices are currently on the wane. :tu:

My personal chapter believes that Sanguinius didn't go Heretical, but did try and reason with Horus to try and get him to back off and live separate since he didn't want to have to kill his brother. Unfortunately, the Emperor saw this and impaled Sanguinius upon his sword for his treachery. (Thus causing the Black Rage to become the issue it is today.) This information was given to them from the spirit of Sanguinius himself, communicating to the chapter through the "Blessed of the Angel" (death Company's rantings) and the "Voice of the Angel"(The main Librarian of the Chapter, who was also gifted with Sanguinius's winged mutation from Sanguinus.) Thus they end up going renegade against the Imperium.

Of course, it isn't actually Sanguinius, but in fact a demon of Slaanesh who is trapped inside the sword that is viewed as a Chapter Relic and wielded by the "Voice of the angel." This demon, rather than turning them to Slaaneshi worship openly, which wouldn't work, has subtly manipulated the chapter with the guise of Sanguinius, using them to fight the Imperium, but more importantly, to fight the forces of Khorne and mess up the plans of the Blood God. (Who views the Blood Angels and his successors to be his birthright.)

As for if he actually fell or not, I really don't think he would have.

Hm. Well, the thing with the daemon bit is that this is essentially how we have Rogal Dorn fall. The other Primarch that many would see as one who would never turn. In canon, the Destroyer Hive is subservient to Typhon and acts as an extension of his will. In Guilliman Heresy, it is instead used to forcibly take Dorn, resulting in Dorn's consciousness and the Destroyer Hive's hivemind melding into one entity. In essence, Dorn's body is dead, but reanimated zombie-like by the Dornian Virus. The Daemon Primarch is actually a virus that simply chooses its own deceased corpse as its preferred host. In my mind, that's an amazing re-imagining of Fulgrim's fall. Having another one kind of cheapens it, and makes it feel especially unoriginal. That's not an insult, mind you, I'm just worried about going too far in any one direction. We also have Vulkan, now that I think about it, who was forcibly turned traitor by Slaanesh's personal advances while unconscious. Having Sanguinius be a combination of the falls of Dorn and Vulkan isn't a good idea. We could trash the other falls and take this as Sanguinius' fall, but . . . I'm not for it.

But we might be able to reword what I put up there to make it seem more like possession. That having the Blood Angels fall while their Primarch is a complete non-entity, and the influence they exert over their Primarch as they descend into blood-crazed madness, could affect Sanguinius in the same manner as possession would. And if we want to have something Fulgrim-like, we can go with what Grey Knight Purifier brought up and have him wake up still loyal, but tormented. His Legion has, by then, all but declared for Khorne and openly defy the Emperor. Sanguinius' response is to go, as that brother put it, "Death Company" on his sons. However, with Sanguinius falling under the same blood-crazed rage that his sons are, and the influences they worked upon his unconscious mind still tormenting him, Sanguinius has an identity crisis. Like Fulgrim in canon, that part of Sanguinius still pure can't stand the sight of the universe anymore. He creates a wall of rage around his mind and locks that part of him up. To protect it, he thinks. But once locked it can never be opened again, and that part of Sanguinius that remained pure is forced to look through red-tinged eyes as his body continues on in Black Rage. He'd still become a Daemon Primarch, because Khorne would obviously influence and change him if he's nothing more than a mindless death-machine. Sanguinius would eventually become canon Khârn, killing friend and foe alike with equal abandon.

I've always liked your reasoned extrapolations, Cormac. :D

We also have Vulkan, now that I think about it, who was forcibly turned traitor by Slaanesh's personal advances while unconscious.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, 'forcibly' is not quite the word I'd use. :P

Any way you manage to turn Sanguinus into a faster, nastier, scarier Khârn sounds like a good idea. Also, curious as to just how much would be left, if he wasn't stopped at some point. After all, you're talking about a Primarch whose body is still mostly whole, but infused with the rage of Khorne for a bit of a physical boost, and on top of all of that, basically a mindless killing machine. He would literally walk over an entire world with nothing but corpses in his wake.

Essentially what you have is this: Sanguinus gets whipped and knocked out (happens once when Ka'Bandha gets him the first time anyway), his legion turns on itself, and he has a psychotic break because he can tell its happening. You would almost certainly have Loyalist factions left over, some who were far enough away that the corruption and blood thirst didn't reach them immediately, and they were able to join the Imperium in turning back the traitorous part of the Legion.

What might be more interesting, is at some points, he's able to direct the fury toward the worshippers of Chaos and you get these bit stories of a world wiped clean of life, that had a few secret Chaos shrines on it. And this may happen every few decades as the loyal side of Sanguinus takes over. But he'd never cross the Eye of Terror, never go fully into the Warp and sit on a Demon World waiting for Khorne to tell him what to do. He'd be slaughtering something every minute of every day, no sleep, no rest, might not even need food or water with the powers of Khorne charging him up. Because that would be the grand thing, Khorne would just watch this monster thats wrecking everything in its path, and sitting in the back of Sanguinus' mind and laughing at him, tormenting him. And enjoying every second of it.

Well, I have a text file at home with all of my Guilliman Heresy notes on it, and I have explored the idea of expanding the Traitors so that there's one of every stripe and flavor. The allegiances are set in stone, but the theme of desparation the Guilliman Heresy has kind of leaves some leeway for some blurring around the edges. It'd be vague, more like saying that there are Marines that seem to match with this Legion but are altogether different and are rarely, if ever, seen together, but the truth of the matter is entirely unknown/classified. And this would apply not just to those Legions who turn, but Loyalists as well. The worst and greatest would be the Dark Angels, where the split is so great that their shame is bare for all to see. But they might not be the only ones to suffer that shame. The Sons of Horus in our version do lose Abaddon to Chaos, and his Justaerin. It stands to reason, however, that certain aspects of the traitors remain loyal.

For instance, if the Blood Angel Librarians seek to save their Primarch from Khorne, and are being destroyed outright by those already declared for Khorne, then you could feasibly have a force of loyalist Blood Angel psyker survivors. A mini-Grey Knights force that occasionally suffer from the Black Rage. Would they survive into the 41st Millennium? Not at all. But during the Heresy, and in the millenniumthat follows? Certainly. And they could leave an indelible mark on the Imperium. Perhaps they are assimilated into the Thousand Sons. Or perhaps, when the organization the Loyalist Blood Angels made up dwindles in size the Thousand Sons begin to populate it with their own Marines. A mini-Grey Knight force of Blood Angels that becomes a larger Grey Knight force of Thousand Sons, separate from the greater Legions.

And yes, Calnus, if we have a Sanguinius' whose rage is started by the betrayal of his sons, then his eventual state might be worsened around other traitors. Put him with his own sons, and you might see him strike them down occassionally. Place him alongside another Legion, especially the Salamanders, and you have total carnage with nobody knowing who's on whose side. He'd be a more terrifying Khârn. Not just a hero of his Legion, not just a Marine with the favors of his God, but a Primarch who simply slays. It matters not who feels the bite of his sword, for Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows. Which is an interesting dichotomy, because we have the Blood Angels being a somewhat honourable Legion. Only those skulls that is worthy of being taken is taken. Those who suffer the Black Rage are disdainful, unworthy even to have their own skulls taken. To have their very own Primarch, their gene-father, be one of those? Ooph.

I have to admit that my reservations against having the Legion kill the father is a lot like the previous one. We already have two variations of that theme. We already have a Traitor Legion that is Primarch-less, the Iron Hands, and we already have a Legion that has struck down its own Primarch, the Dark Angels.

However, we did explore the possibility of having the Traitor Legions fragment into Warbands much like they do in canon. The difference, however, is that in this universe the fragmentation is dictated by Guilliman's Codex. The Warbands are more ordered, and their separations and tasks have rhyme and reason to it. We could certainly do an anti-Sanguinius Warband of the Blood Angels. Or, actually, have a single pro-Sanguinius Warband, which is essentially a Death Company Warband. All other Warbands, who look down on the mindless savagery as pitiful and ultimately misdirected Khorne worship, would scorn that one Warband and rarely, if ever, fight alongside it. Whenever the Death Warband appears, even if brother Blood Angels fight the same battlefield, they strike down anything and everything that's in their path.

The most plausible way of getting Sanguinus (can't spell his name) to turn IMO would be to use the visions that he received. He was said to see the future and know it for what it was and what it had to be. There's nothing to say that these visions were true and you could manipulate them into persuading Sanguinus to go down the incorrect route and damn himself by trying to prevent the entire thing from happening.

I.E he goes off and slaughters some innocent world to prevent something worse happening - but all it does it damn him in everyone elses eyes. He's then forced to turn to chaos through the irony of his own actions.

Everyone on here is happy - Sanguinus isn't randomly slaughtering people for no apparent reason and declaring himself for Khorne and he is still a good guy - but one who ballsed it up totally.

He's the most obvious replacement for Magnus if you're altering the history and having Tzzentch mess with him.

I don't really see any plausible reason that Khorne would take the Blood Angels. The entire reason they get angry is because they are tormented by the psychic screams of his death. Which won't happen when he doesn't die in the first place. Unless you use the above idea as it has the added advantage of Sanguinus being the sort of character that realises his error and knocks himself off. Thus eliminating the entire conundrum from the equation.

Though again using Khorne in that scenario is a bit dodgy anyway. I'd send him to Tzeentch and send the Raven Guard to Khorne personally.

The idea of thousands of jet pack riding loonies throwing corpses down from the sky and causing excessive collateral damage is far more potent. Plus Corax has plenty of opportunity to be portrayed as vindictive.

not entirely true concerning why they get angry.

The blood angels are apparently supposed to have always had that berzerker rage buried within them, they just reign it in, maintaining control over themselves.

but yeah, any version where sanguinius himself doesn't turn to chaos would be preferred on my part, the blood angels themselves? sure they might as they're 'only astrates' though I don't believe even they would without sanguinius already being dead.

Archived