tvih's miniature painting & modeling (Black Templars)

tvih

As I think I've already bored everyone to death with my modeling and painting updates on my BT forum thread, I thought I'd spread the boredom a bit tongue.gif

First and foremost, something I haven't fully put into written format so far - the generic style guidelines for my Crusade!

1: Full tabards: Reserved for Sword Brethren, white

2: "Loincloth" tabards: mostly for Initiates in white, but also can be used for Characters, in which case not necessarily white

3: Cloaks: for Elites and characters, everyone should get a cloak, with the possible exception of terminators

4: Heads: Initiates helmeted, Sword Brethren and Characters generally bare-headed

5: Shoulderpad colors: generally according to codex reference, except probably using regular initiate colors for Assault marines

6: Color theme: black base of course, "silver" used a lot, and also gold for elites and characters

7: Favored power weapons for power armor models: fists and axes

8: Model arms are magnetized, torsos and heads held in place with blu-tack so I can repose or remodel at will. For vehicles options are kept open as well of course, and glue is only used if absolutely necessary

With that out of the way, some models I've worked on...

Marshal

I struggled designing a marshal of my own without having to buy an expensive Commander kit - I have an aversion to paying two-figure sums for single characters! After much deliberation, here's what I came up with yesterday and today - Marshal Grimgard of the Twilight Crusade.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/marshal-pa-tableready1.jpg

Like most of the models below, he is in what I call the table-ready phase - major things painted (minus the head for non-helmeted folks or terminators), no edge highlighting, in some cases lacking some washes and in general finishing touches or perhaps extra decorative bits. Also cloak pending, because I suck at making green stuff obey me.

Also considering giving him a banner, though I'm not sure if it'd be frowned upon since normally only standard bearers should have banners in a BT army codex-wise... but I guess it could be chalked up to being a personal banner with no in-game effect. Failing that, probably some other decorative bit. I was hoping to give him some gold-lined legs from the Space Wolves pack or perhaps a Chaos termie to represent his Artificer Armor a bit better, but now that I did the whole weird thing with his left leg, I'm not sure. I guess only future will tell.

Emperor's Champion & Sword Brother Ictus

Same section for these guys as I don't have a separate image of them uploaded tongue.gif On the left, Emperor's Champion Samson, on the right Sword Brother Ictus.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ec-and-ictus-tableready-front1.jpg

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ec-and-ictus-tableready-back1.jpg

The EC was my first tabard paintjob, and I'm actually quite happy with it. Dreaded it in advance!

Problem is the similar looks, though Ictus will have a bare head in his final form. But since both will receive cloaks and so forth, they as well as other SB models look so similar, the EC doesn't really stand out too much... but I guess that's just the way it's gonna be!

Assault Terminator Squad

I struggled designing a marshal of my own without having to buy an expensive Commander kit - I have an aversion to paying two-figure sums for single characters! After much deliberation, here's what I came up with yesterday and today - Marshal Grimgard of the Twilight Crusade.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/cc-termies-tableready.jpg

First full table-ready squad. Unsure how to go around painting he heads. Do them black, like below, or white, in which case there's the issue of shading them properly so that they don't look silly - not sure how well I'll manage that!

Ranged Terminator

This guy is actually the first 40k model I painted last month.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/aobr-termie-front2.jpg

He'll receive some touchups, like gold decor instead of all-silver, and of course the weapon looks utterly terrible. I've also almost fully painted two more of his AoBR brethren, but no pics of them so far.

Dreadnought

Brother Dreadnought Kalev.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/aobr-dread-front1.jpg

Lacking some Templar bling, he's been neglected for several weeks while I've been working the infantry stuff. A few crosses and purity seals here and there, some minor painting and he'll be fully ready to destroy heretics, xenos and witches.

Rhino

It's a rhinosaur! Aptly it'll be called "Kharon"...

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/rhino-complete-front1.jpg

Came out decently in the end, though the basecoating was a pain because the plastic surfaces of some of the parts is so uneven. I've no idea why I've never seen anyone say anything about it. I had to use a ridiculous amount of spray to get things smooth in the end. Ugh! Further brain damage was caused by the white on the fenders. White is such a pain to get even remotely even with a brush for some reason. I have a Razorback waiting to be built & painted, not sure if I'll do the wise thing this time around and skip the white, or just do it with an airbrush or something!

Only glued things are actually the headlights and I think one piece of decor at the back. A few things like the big top door held in place with blu-tack.

That's basically it so far! Some primed/basecoated Sword Brethren models and such, but they'll get their moment in the spotlight once table-ready. I also started working on a Chaplain, but he actually ended up the Marshal, just with different arms and weaponry. Even after the relative success with the Marhsal, I'm not sure if I can proxy a reasonable Chaplain now so that it'd look unique enough compared to all the other models.

I'll probably update finished and additional models to this first post as well as having them in new posts in this thread as they come.

With all that said and done, comments, suggestions and critique are quite welcome.

Hi! It looks like you've definately got the hang of it. Did I read it right that thae termie is your first model you painted? If so that is mighty impressive. Are you planning to do some highlighting on your regular size marines? With black it is difficult but I think black really needs it to give definition.

If I were to give you advice on white it would be WATER IT DOWN! The weaker the coat the better the finish in the end, lots and lots of coats. It can be boring but worth it in the end! Also have you considered vallejo paint thinning medium? I've just started using it and for painting white it's absolutely amazing, seriously I can't sing it's praises enough!

Nice start to some zealous bad asses!

Hi! It looks like you've definately got the hang of it. Did I read it right that thae termie is your first model you painted? If so that is mighty impressive. Are you planning to do some highlighting on your regular size marines? With black it is difficult but I think black really needs it to give definition.

It's the first, yeah. It'll look nicer with a few gold bits on it, too.

All models will be highlighted, but only after everything is in this "table-ready" state, because I don't want to play with an unpainted army, but highlighting takes forever with my painting speed - I'm truly the slowest painter you'll ever see.

If I were to give you advice on white it would be WATER IT DOWN! The weaker the coat the better the finish in the end, lots and lots of coats. It can be boring but worth it in the end!

Well, I tried watering and not watering both. If watering it much, it ended up runny and thus didn't cover evenly, which is bad. I'll just have to try masking and airbrushing as an alternative, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

"Got this tip from a Les Bursley vid: Painting white? Use Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, then Skull White (or whatever your equivalents are) Should cover even black." This.

Also when you paint thin white coats they won't be even, thats just the way it goes but over time the layers build up to a great smooth finish. It just really takes a long time, a long long time!

Got this tip from a Les Bursley vid: Painting white? Use Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, then Skull White (or whatever your equivalents are) Should cover even black. :P

Well that's what I did, but it is the white itself that presents the problem. The thing is that even in thin coats it just didn't end up even, up close you can see it's brushed, unlike with other colors. It'd like the damn paint hates me or something :P

Anyway, right now I'm trying to replicate a Razorback turret mount with Instant Mold and green stuff, so I can have two Razorbacks after I replicate all the turret parts (except the weapons, as I'll just use one with lascannons and one with heavy bolters). Too bad the green stuff isn't the greatest stuff to work with, but hopefully I'll get something usable out of it!

Unless you use "Ceramite White", in which case you can get a smooth White in a couple of coats (once it's thinned to approx 1-1 ratio).

And as it's very slightly Off-White you can even highlight it with Skull White/White Scar.

Nice witchbashers you got going here, look forward to seeing more :P

Its hard to explain the technique I use to paint white but try and imagine that the very tip of the brush is a pen. don't try and apply the paint in strokes but use the tip like a nib and almost colour in the area you want to paint. That's the best way I can put it in words, I don't know if it helps any.

Keep fighting the good fight soldier!

Unless you use "Ceramite White", in which case you can get a smooth White in a couple of coats (once it's thinned to approx 1-1 ratio).

And as it's very slightly Off-White you can even highlight it with Skull White/White Scar.

Tried both Ceramite and Skull, same problem with both except Ceramite indeed needs less layers.

Nice witchbashers you got going here, look forward to seeing more :P

Thanks, should have some Sword Brethren to show tomorrow or Sunday the latest - hopefully the full first squad of five (though that'll include Ictus).

Here we have a slightly touched up Marshal Grimgard and the first squad of his Sword Brethren - Ictus, Grimgard's "right hand man", Dernos with the power axe, and finally Aber, Gerhard (with a temporary weapon) and Revon.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/marshal-pa-tableready1.jpg

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/sb-squad-tableready1.jpg

Marshal's lacking his black "loincloth" and another "waistline accessory" in this picture because the damn things won't stay in place, in case of the loincloth due to the shape of the Templar chestplate (too curved).

Sword Brethren are merely table-ready, except the two backpacks since the camera-facing side lacks a proper layer of spray (dunno why I didn't notice that prior to putting the packs in place). And missing cloaks for the time being, meh.

• 2 weeks later...

To celebrate Executioner-Chaplain Joachim's fine terminator killing spree in my latest game, here he now is, converted to do away with the lesser chapter's markings and painted to almost completion after a 6-hour painting spree:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/chaplain2-tableready1.jpg

Missing his storm bolter since it's still not modeled far enough to paint. The pics came out pretty poor for some reason, but I guess you can still see what there is to see.

• 3 months later...

My lineup for LPC '13.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-lpc2013-vow1.jpg

Given that my new job has robbed me of most of my time, it'll take a while to get all of these painted. I was hoping to paint a total of 12 initiates and 3 neophytes for next Sunday's tournament, but somehow I don't think I'll have the time. At least if I paint anything other than base black + tabards, which is what my previous crusaders are pretty much. These additional ones would allow me to have all my Crusader squads in at least a semi-painted state for the tournament.

On a sidenote I can't but help think that the Bolter marines look more badass somehow than the BP+chainsword ones. Like in this separate comparison pic:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-crusaders-unpainted-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right'o, had an idea for a bit of a re-pose for an Initiate. Here's the result so far:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-initiate-paxe-running-wip1.jpg

I wanted a two-handed swing pose, which unfortunately meant I had to significantly lengthen the shaft of the axe. I wanted running legs, so for now he has legs from a Khorne Berzerker, until I get around to trying to repose loyalist legs, something I've been meaning to do for many months now to gain some uniqueness for my models, but haven't had the guts to actually do it yet. Even chopping the bits for the weapon pose made me nervous!

Overall I think I'm fairly satisfied with the pose, although the long axe handle does look slightly odd, perhaps, given the comparatively small axe head. These custom weapon poses tend to be tricky, given the starting poses of the arms and how they attach to the torso. I'd like some overhead sword grips etc too, but not sure if I can manage that. Also one thing limiting leg poses a bit are actually the BT upgrade kit tabards. For example moving legs "ahead" of the tabard doesn't really seem feasible.

No. That 2H-axe wielding guy is just amazing. I absolutely love the pose! I envy you, sir!

Glad you like it. It's not that difficult if you want to do it yourself. It's just a pair of bolter arms, the BT upgrade axe cut so that you keep the chain part and the shaft so that you can extend it (with a toothpick in my case!). The left arm's gripping hand is cut and rotated a bit to facilitate the pose, and of course the right hand is cut and replaced with the axe hand. And the legs, of course, are just regular Berzerker legs for now, as mentioned.

Two more initiate pose test subjects:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-initiates-cc-wip1.jpg

The guy on the left has a Death Company chainsword arm, Khorne Berzerker legs and for the time being a Khorne Berzerker bolt pistol arm. It annoys me to no end that the BT upgrade sprue doesn't include right-handed bolt pistols that are "aimed" like that. The guy on the right could use one as well, or alternatively an arm with no weapon at all, but those are so rare as well, and I'm no good at sculpting hands/fists. Could try some cutting on the bolter handle arms, but even that'd mean using up two arms to make one if I wanted a differently posed arm, which just seems like such a waste of bits!

• 4 weeks later...

First of the LPC Sword Brethren, close to finished but still with some fine-tuning left to be done:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/bt-sword-brethren-2lc-tableready1.jpg

The tabard looks a bit one-dimensional in the photo (just like the cloak would look in a rear view) due to the flash, but despite not really doing much shading on it, I think it looks quite decent in natural light. They became so light in overall color that can't really further highlight it effectively, and not sure I want to mess around with trying to darken the recesses either. The natural shadows look quite good as is.

Problem now is that it appears my Chaos Black spray has run out, and I've yet to spray the 5 HQs, 3 Sword Brethren and 3 Neophytes! Sucks if that becomes the downfall of my oversized vow. I've had the new CB sprays on order for several weeks now, but no idea when I'll actually receive them. As it usually takes me two days per model, if I don't get 'em early next week, I might not have the time ermm.gif

Archived