A Question On Haters

Crystal Geyser

I'd like to see a white/pale EC armor. I feel like white is a rare color, especially for Chaos but if done right it has a lot of potential.

It an idea I had years ago but never got round to. An aspiring champion entering battle as a blank canvas. Ready to create his latest masterpiece with the spoils of war. Excessive amounts of hooks and spikes to attach things to.

I'd like to see a white/pale EC armor. I feel like white is a rare color, especially for Chaos but if done right it has a lot of potential.

I am not going to put up more of my white and gold Slaanesh marines, done so in the Show your HQ thread in this forum, and I am kind of tired of that model. But I completely agree with you done right any colour can look awesome and have a potential to look "evil".

The problem with some colours are that hey have a tendency to clash in a way that your eye/brain just finds it ghastly. Black and white usually works with any colour as they are not true colours, when I imagine up nu colours for my army I use this site Kuler as it helps with complementary colours, which colours who works best with other colours.

For example Ultramarines with golden or yellow details works better than the ones with green as blue and yellow are on opposite sides of the palette. Pink should work well with green, I have never tried it, but according to the site it should. So if you are doing EC who you want to look like they will hurt your opponents eyes, and yours, you should paint them either pink/orange or pink/baby blue. ;)

Then we have the cultutal differences, in the western world black is often imagined to have something with death, but in japan it is White. The Japanese exchange students became a bit confused when they saw our traditional celebration of St. Lucia, which is a celebration to the light, and everyone was dressed in white. They thought it was some kind of mourning procession.

/C

It an idea I had years ago but never got round to. An aspiring champion entering battle as a blank canvas. Ready to create his latest masterpiece with the spoils of war. Excessive amounts of hooks and spikes to attach things to.

Well... thats just an awesome idea! Armor that exists only as a reflection of the current violence, to be cleanse and built anew for each day of combat.

Well... thats just an awesome idea! Armor that exists only as a reflection of the current violence, to be cleanse and built anew for each day of combat.

Exactly. Would most likely shade it with pink though :)

@Cate. Was thinking of using the colour wheel. Completely avoiding complimentary colours or course. Most likely my non Noise Marines would be less garish though. Especially if they are new recruits without VotLW. That's where the pink will come in.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I recall learning that in the middle ages, pink was considered a masculine colour while poweder blue would have been feminine.

I play Emperor's Children.

No, not pre-heresy. I'm not doing another pre-heresy Emperor's Children army.

I'm talking about post-heresy. Which means, unfortunately...

Pink.

Yes, i have a pink army. I have yet to play them outside of my immediate group of friends. My question is this - should I repaint the pink parts of their armor as a light purple, or something less feminine.

I don't mean to be stereotyping anything but I wonder if I'm going to be made fun of or teased for the pink marines.

What do you guys think?

I don't see the problem with running pink marines or Emperor's Children for that matter. Besides Slaaneshi themed CSMs there are a bunch of players from different gaming groups that paint entirely pink/ pink based armies as a Breast Cancer awareness thing, so it's not like it hasn't been covered before and if someone has a dig at you for it that's their problem.

I play Emperor's Children.

Yes, i have a pink army. I have yet to play them outside of my immediate group of friends. My question is this - should I repaint the pink parts of their armor as a light purple, or something less feminine.

I don't mean to be stereotyping anything but I wonder if I'm going to be made fun of or teased for the pink marines.

Us UM players take a lot of flak. You know what shuts them up? Winning.

So far I've finished 1 pink Forgefiend and I've never enjoyed painting as much as I am now after going for the pink. Unfortunatly this is all I've done as I stripped my marines back down to get even more pink on them. They were initially black with pink but now I'm going more pink with black.....if that makes any sense. Anyway I can't wait to get them finished so I can take them into the local store and actually get a game so I'd say go for it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/StormbrowII/Emperors%20Children/DSC03157.jpg

There you go: Lord Mahinn the Castrator in bright pink and black. With a Templar on a leash. Here he is from the side and the rest of the album.

I've used the old Baal Red to tone down the pink but not enough to overwhelm it. I think the black does a lot to offset the brightness of the pink.

That's awesome and hilarious. I'm so going to do something like that but with a bloodclaw (probably based off of Lukas model). I only wish I could have the lord rocking a Bison "You will be fodder for my Insatiable Spirit" Smile.

Also, I really like Pink (and purple is one of my favorite colors for that matter).

Pink marine fan here :lol:

Before starting on my new CSM army recently I picked up one of the attack squad boxes (the 5 marine job) and tried different colour schemes on them. The one below was my favourite and it uses a very light pink, almost baby pink. Gold provides some sparkle and blue is used as an off colour.

Apologies for the scrappy paint job, it was a test more than anything else!

http://i.imgur.com/sPchb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@VoteforPedro

How did you get your pink that pale color? It looks awesome.

Tried a few methods but settled on the following:

• Spray undercoat chaos black
  • Paint the pink areas GW Screamer Pink - it's one of the new base paints and has pretty good coverage. I water it down for a smoother coat and do a couple
  • Paint the pink areas in Vallejo Model Colour Salmon Pink - it's a lovely pale colour with good coverage. Again, I do several watered down coats.
  • Finally, take some GW Carroburg Crimson. This stuff rocks but we want it a bit less dark so mix it to about 50/50 with GW Lahmian Medium. The wash will now run smoothly into the edges giving starker contrasts. For example, on the right shoulder pad of the mini in the picture the dark pink line was created using this wash process

The whole process is pretty easy: base, layer, wash (as GW is so fond of splitting their paint guides into!) and looks really striking on the battlefield. I found all of the GW pinks to be too bright and bubblegum pink for my liking. I generally only tend to use GW paints as they generally do the job for me. The only time I stray from this is when I need a paint that isn't in the current range. I can't be bothered mixing huge batches of GW colours as it can be hard to get the mix right all of the time so using a third party (Vallejo in this case) is the way to go.

Use Grey to make your purple paler. I don't know the current GW paint names, but basically either grey base coat, or just mix some grey into your purple/pink to make it paler. You can mix a good grey with blue or green to get that pale effect. You can also go with the quick method if you can find the right wash. Paint the model grey or the part of the model grey, highlight with an even lighter grey, wash, and then highlight once more if you like. I was developing this technique using a grey spray primer on Nurgle models a few years back. You just need to get the right thickness (amount) of wash on the model to get the pale effect.

Just reposted this in another thread. Not Emperor's Children and not 'pink' but certainly Slaneeshy.

http://www.muschamp.ca/OffSite/noiseMarine.jpg

I don't know... Guitar Marines seem too silly to me. ^^

Just tell me that isn't awesome :

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Noise-Marines-RT.jpg

Even the paintjob is a marvel. I love the eighties... And you should too !

Overall, I think if I was pressed to play a monogod legion, for the sake of the scheme, I'd do EC (or something slaaneshii, for a warband).

I have I think 5 more of the classic Noisemarines with mohawks. But I don't know when I'll get around to paint them. I stopped in to comment about using grey with your purple/pink to make it paler. This is something I've done with Nurgle models and I even stumbled across an old blog post with a photo of Plaguebearer with paler purple skin. You can make it as pale as you like using mostly grey and very little purple paint or wash. It is possible to paint the model grey then tint it purple with washes you just have to get just the right dilution, remember you can always darken it with more wash but you can't lighten it again without redoing your highlights.

Archived