DA Termie captain/chapter master - 2 HAMMERS!,

paranoidhal86

Hi guys

Just started playing 40k 6th ed, been into 40k for 15 years.

Basically I want to lead my dark angel army with a guy in termie amour, first whats the differance between a captain and chapter master other than rank of course. PROS AND CONS

And can i arm him with two thunder hammers, not only would this look cool but would make him a badass . . . i hope. i think the rules allow this but not sure. also if not hammers that what weapons ?

in the SM codex it says u can swap storm boltler for hammer and swap power sword for a hammer. ???

any help and advice would awesome

I think you've just answered your second question at the bottom there, if it says you can do it then you can. Two hammers though costs a lot of points and probably isn't worth it.

Captain vs Chapter Master. The Chapter Master grants OB, which isn't great, and Honour Guard, which are. OB is a lottery, and very hit and miss, more miss in my experience, I don't miss using it. Honour Guard I do miss. They mince infantry with ease, especially with access to new different types of power weapons and artificer armour being so much better. But they need to be ran in a Raider now to work properly.

The Captain is cheaper and gives access to the Command squad. If doing melee you might as well go Honour Guard IMO, they can reach a great amount of attacks. However, Command squads are cheaper and you can also run them with all plasma, which makes them a great ranged anti-elite squad.

Of course, the main question is why aren't you running Belial? Fluff wise he's the only TDA Dark Angels Master anyway, and he unlocks scoring Terminators as Troops. And he's cheap. A much better choice IMO.

Also, welcome to the B+C.

wow thanks for the awesome and quick reply.

also what about assult canon on a hq good bad ? and what weapon to go with it ?

also if a put anyone in termie armour does that make then deathwing ? and therefor need to be painted white (i like to keep in with the fluff)

No worries. Assault cannon on a HQ is bad, because it's illegal. No Space Marine character in the game can take any heavy weapons etc, even in TDA.

Fluff wise yes. TDA is reserved for the Deathwing in the Dark Angels, therefore if someone is wearing TDA it's white.

Also, I can understand wanting to use C:SM for Dark Angels, C:DA is massively limiting. With the new allies rules though I'd go for a mix. Get a solid core of Deathwing and maybe Ravening with C:DA and add Tactical squads, Sternguard etc and support units from C:SM. There's a lot of scope for variety and the two mesh really well.

Well, it will become a very common combo quite soon, I think, but I’m not sure at all whether TH+LC oder PF+LC looks that awesome in mass.

Of course, since hidden fists were nerfed (due to challenge option) we will see less PF and TH in general, at least on sergeants.

But you are right, for a TH with maximum attacks the LC as a second weapon is the way to go now in the 6th.

It's also very, very expensive. I reckon we'll still see RB/SS. Maybe not as much killing power, but more durable for a similar points cost. Combined properly with an appropriately equipped Sergeant and you still have AP2 sorted for challenges.

Another little downside of the LC/PF setup is if you use it on a character with no or a bad invul save you still have a problem against models with 2+ or high initiative and which penetrate your armour. But at least this is where you still can send your sgt to. And if you do, you profit even more from an offensively armed IC because if he is not fighting the challenge he cannot be targeted separately in most cases, so no use in a storm shield for that moment.

Still I’m not sure which models better to use with SS/RB and which with LC/PF if it doesn’t wear an Iron Hallow (which makes the decision against the SS more easy). Probably it strongly depends on what unit they have to accomplish.

Archived