5 man Angels of Vengence WIP

lhg033

ok - i built these guys about 2+ years ago. i'd tested the colour scheme on one marine and the free AoBR terminator for white dwarf at the time.

its about time they go some love.

the vet sergeant isnt tooled up as i'd want to arm him in current rules, ideally he'll get a sword and plasma pistol, however i'll wait for the new dex before commiting to ripping apart and rebuiling him.

i will likely later magnetise the flamer so it can be swapped out for whichever weapon i want but for the purpose of the vow this is whats going o be painted

excuse the poor photos - only had access to an old camera at the time

the full squad (and a couple of mess aorund projects in the packground that may be part of a future vow)

gallery_20758_4465_328169.jpg

the veteran sergent - he's going to get a new base coat to start again from scratch

gallery_20758_4465_1638788.jpg

test marine from 2+ years ago

gallery_20758_4465_1287934.jpg

test terminator for good measure

gallery_20758_4465_494816.jpg

i have bought decals for AoV this time around - not decided if i'll use them yet or not

i'd originally intended these guys to be used as a counts as C:SM or C:BA army as allies to my DA's. i then got distracted and went onto other projects as is so often the case

done some work on these guys:

the squad:

gallery_20758_4465_1541506.jpg

sergeant

gallery_20758_4465_2439164.jpg

bolter marine

gallery_20758_4465_2165974.jpg

few slips here and there that need touching up - i'll likely darken the red robe on the sergeant too.

tidied up and washed the black areas though it was probably a bit early as i know i'll need to redo them when i move on to other colors

i plan to highlight the robes going to wards a blue and the armour with grey to give a bit of diffence between the two

not part of the vow put i'm playing around with a terminator scheme.

gallery_20758_4465_62571.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

ok

i managed to complete my oath with a few minutes to spare before midnight last night

i decided to hold off on the tactical markings/chapter symbols and bases until i am ready to do this across the army to keep them consistant. i tried one of the new decals fo AoV, it doesnt need you to do anything to support the colours (white backing etc) however i'd not realy looked closely and didnt realise i needed to trip the decal closely so ended up with it not fitting very well. i may still paint the symbols to be honest - i want to improve my painting skills so we'll see.

i have also kept the original test model as a basis to compare against. this guy may be decorated as a veteran/squad leader

the completed squad:

gallery_20758_4465_2148643.jpg

veteran sergeant close up

gallery_20758_4465_4402847.jpg

flamer and bolter close up

gallery_20758_4465_2629861.jpg

new vs old - current painting vs 2 years ago test model

gallery_20758_4465_3986084.jpg

i feel like i've improved from my old standard of painting however i do feel i rushed parts of these to complete in time. i have a lot more sympathy/admiration for those with predominatly black marines! higlighting these guys was evil and i think this is where i realy need to improve.

as a treat ahead of my next vow i intend to buy some new brushed and create a new wet palette

armour is the GW sheer black recipe minus the dry brush and with and extra nuln oil wash once highlights were done as i thought things needed toning down a bit. i realy like abbadon black as a base coat much nicer than chaos black was

robes are done with the GW blue/black recipe to give a bit of difference to the cloth. the general idea here was armour would be a harder/harsher colour while fabric should be warmer

Squad looks pure awesome sauce. Good distinction between black armour and robes. Bone chest aquilas are stunning. Congrats on the vow. Finish the bases now :D

Archived