Codex: Marines help

J!MM!L!C!OUS

So much of 6th involves getting and holding an objective.

Given that, I'm having a hard time against my Tyranid pal. Tyranids, being choppy, needs me to respond by being shooty, and backing away from the oncoming enemy. If I'm doing that, how can I claim midfield objectives?

Jimmi

I have the same problem with my friends orks quite often. I have found that outflanking scouts, late game drop pods, and having a few speeders around to be quick and contest late game make a big difference.

That said though, the best way is to halt him in his tracks, what is your army list like and what is his like? We can give much better advice if we know what you have to work with.

I would say sit in a Rhino and shoot from there, but then that won't work too well considering Hive Guard are pretty awesome.

In this instance you need to concentrate your forces and firepower efficiently. Wipe out units, or at least bring them down to about 5 or so members if they're the little ones. With the changes to cover Nids should struggle more to stay on the board, it should be easier to blow them away with good firepower. Stay back in the first few turns, prioritise properly and then move forward.

The big scary bugs are the worst. It's hard to blow them away when your scattering to the objectives. But there are usually no more than 2-3 of them, and they can only contest objectives. They can only kill one squad a turn each, so combat sqadding can make them have to overkill and waste some of thier potential. When they kill your tacticals, remember that your one attack back can be with a krak grenade, and you can throw that grenade if they are close.

Killing the small guys and the middle sized ones like the warriors and the carnifexes should be priority. The small guys with flamers, frags and bolters. The middle guys with your heavier weapons and bolters. If you wipe out all the troops, they can't claim the objectives.

Then the big almost un-killable bugs can wander around, largely ineffective (objective wise, they are still killing machines, LOL) Just try to avoid them and claim the objectives they don't contest.

Yeah Darkguard, my Rhino's pretty much get toasted by his 2-3 hive guard as soon as they're in range, which is turn two onwards haha

My own list is about to change but atm 1500 points goes like this

Captain - Relic Blade/Storm Shield /Digi Weap/Art Armour

Command Squad - Two SS/CCW guys, a PF and a LC and the Apoth

Tactical 1 - Multi-Melta, Flamer, Combi Plasma

Tactical 2 - H. Bolter, Plasma, Combi Plasma

Two naked Rhinos

Assualt Termies - 3 TH/SS, 2 LC's

Devastator squad - 4 ML, combi-plasma

7 naked Assault Marines

7 Sternguard - 3 Combi flamers, 3 combi plasmas

(in future, 2000 points will include a storm talon with ML, 8 sniper scouts plus Telion, a Heavy Bolter Dev squad, and either drop pod or rhino for my sternies)

The tacticals get combat squadded, the heavy weapons guys ride the rhinos for mobility, the rest shoot the winged warriors down

The captain and command squad act as a counter assualt unit, sticking around until either genestealers or his nasty bonesword/lashwip/adrenilin sack/toxic glands HQ and warriors get too close. My captain can generally beat either units in a fair fight but sometimes gets ganged up on :) lol

The devastators are generally one of my big players, taking out monsterous creatures, warriors, and gaunts alike

The assualt marines act as a suicide unit, usually tying up/defeating his termiguants or gargoyles quite nicely

Sternies defend the devastators, combi flamers are excellent overwatch weapons, plasmas for the Trygon when it deep strikes

Assualt terminators usually spend the enture game flirting with the idea of teleporting onto the battlefield, only to fail and return to reserves (lol, also thinkiing about ditching these guys in favour of tacticals, or altogether and maybe try and squeeze in a land raider for its assualt vehicle capabilities for my captain)

So there we go, he rushes at me, deepstrikes his trygon (rerolls to hit and wound), and blows up my Rhinos with his Hive Guard. His main nasties include stealers, winged warriors and regular warriors with HQ, all with LW/BS and rerolls to hit and wound. :lol:

Have you considered taking a vindicator or whirlwind to dish out large amounts of damage on his hordes as they close in?

While decent against small gribblies, both of those will put one wound max on the larger creatures, and won't instakill even Hive Guard. The weapon you really want, and multiples of it, is the Thunderfire.

Archived