Snap Fit Madness - Whole Army?

captain sox

Hey folks.

Just got the Dark Vengeance set and I'm really enjoying it. The models are fantastic. One thing I've really become fond of it assembling the snap fit tactical marines. It's really a pleasure not to cut, remove mold lines, test fit, glue, etc, etc these models. The poses are OK, and there's a fair variety. You can mix and match backpacks for the most part too. The Sergeant is easy to convert too.

The Terminators and Bikes are easy to build too, and I don't think it'll be to hard to convert some of the models either. Have not tried yet, but I will soon.

So I got to thinking. Could I build a reasonable army with just the contents of the DV box?

It would be easy to add a Cyclone Launcher to any of the Terminators in the DV set. It would be tricky though to add TH/SS to them. Same with the Bikes. with a little creative cutting and pasting, I think changing some of the weapons wouldn't be too hard.

I could build 3-4 Tac Squads no problem (obviously) but what about a Dev Squad?

Here's the catch. I actually like the moulded shoulder pauldrons. They are easy to paint, and are much less fussy than decals. However, would a Dev Squad look lame with the Tactical Arrow on the side, or would it really matter? To me it doesn't matter because I would represent the squads with numbers, and other markings. I could say the arrow was the company marking and have something else to represent the individual squads in that company.

I really don't want to mix and match decal marines with moulded pauldron marines, to me that would look less 'uniform'.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

PS - Does anyone know if the DA in the 40K Paint Starter set are the same as the ones in the DV box?

They are very similar but not identical, sox.

Personally, I couldn't do everything snap fit, there just wouldn't be enough variety, no matter how many back pack or equipment swaps you do, eventually you'll reuse a combination (not that most standard plastic Tacticals don't already do this).

So I got to thinking. Could I build a reasonable army with just the contents of the DV box?

Yes, and for many of the reasons you've covered. Converting isn't a chore for Terminators, Tacticals, or Bikes.

If someone wanted to sink a few $$$ for several sets, they'd have a good start for a DA's Deathwing, Ravenwing, and regular Battle Companies.

I've hit a few trades and auctions here and there and for nine 5-man Terminator squads. 45 models for $125. Compare that to a $450 tag at regular prices. Sure, you may need lightning claws and thunderhammers. Buy a box of assault termies and get enough bitz for two squads (one of each)!. Fortunately, I have enough bitz from this to cover my new Deathwing. GW even sells some of these bitz separately if you really needed to get them this way.

I could build 3-4 Tac Squads no problem (obviously) but what about a Dev Squad?

You could always free-hand paint the inverted 'V' for the DEV squads OVER the raised arrows. Or, like I am considering doing (even though I missed a great auction that had $10 per TAC - grrr!), you could make your company a Reserve Company. Like the DA's 6th or 7th - ALL 10 Tactical squads each. So your DEV squad is actually an augmented TAC squad. Viola!

In short, I think it's a great idea.

PS - Does anyone know if the DA in the 40K Paint Starter set are the same as the ones in the DV box?

Sadly, no I do not. I'd like to know as well.

[EDIT: Thanks Bryan Blaire for letting us know]

This is a great way to quick build an entire army. If only there was a loyal Dreadnought in there!

Personally, I couldn't do everything snap fit, there just wouldn't be enough variety, no matter how many back pack or equipment swaps you do, eventually you'll reuse a combination (not that most standard plastic Tacticals don't already do this).

No? There are about two duplicates of each marine model in the DV squad rather similarly to a standard squad. Granted, I haven't tried to convert my DV TAC yet, but I think it could work. I'll have to take a whack at them.

No? There are about two duplicates of each marine model in the DV squad rather similarly to a standard squad. Granted, I haven't tried to convert my DV TAC yet, but I think it could work. I'll have to take a whack at them.

Eh, it's a personal thing. Similar poses I don't mind as much if the armor configurations are different, etc, but the repetition wouldn't be something I'd personally like (which is why I prefer the more poseable GK PA marines to the standard plastic Tact squad, and the standard Tact squad over push-fit starter Marines.

If you paint them right and put some love into it, I'm sure they will look great, captain sox! Good luck on the army!

it'd also be pretty easy to add a bit more character to the standard tactical squad by using some of the bits from a DA veterans sprue. lots and lots of little bits and pieces in there to add character including several head options for alternate sergeants if you dont want to use the 5 robed bodies. its a steal for just the upgrade sprue - if you actually by the vets boxset you get a command squad frame as well for special weapons/apothecary/standard bearer bits.

Well, I haven't found it to hard to convert the bikes. All three now have the beak helms and the sergeant has a space wolves power armm, no booing please I needed the cool skull to fit the chapter I'm putting together. Hopefully my apothecarys show up this weekend so I can get started on my biker apothecary. As for the terms, so far all I've done is added the ac to the chainfist model, but it wasn't to hard. I think adding th & ss or claws will be just removing the one peg and half the arm. I have one set choped up waiting for their new weapons next month, so I'll see how hard it is.

To give you an idea of what it could look like:

Here is an army I started using a similar idea.

I really need to find the time to get back to this project (and dozens more!).

Wow! You have me wanting to do a project like that right now. I've been gathering so many DA bitz from DV, I actually think I can (I just scored a few more TAC squads since this thread began B) ).

Well, I haven't found it to hard to convert the bikes. All three now have the beak helms and the sergeant has a space wolves power armm, no booing please I needed the cool skull to fit the chapter I'm putting together. Hopefully my apothecarys show up this weekend so I can get started on my biker apothecary. As for the terms, so far all I've done is added the ac to the chainfist model, but it wasn't to hard. I think adding th & ss or claws will be just removing the one peg and half the arm. I have one set choped up waiting for their new weapons next month, so I'll see how hard it is.

I haven't invested in bikes, but the Termies aren't too bad as you've said. I'm working on giving a whole squad TH&SS.

Just got the Dark Vengeance set and I'm really enjoying it. The models are fantastic. One thing I've really become fond of it assembling the snap fit tactical marines. It's really a pleasure not to cut, remove mold lines, test fit, glue, etc, etc these models.

Well, while it's nice that snap-fit models fit together neatly - unlike the normal two-part marine torsos with huge gaps etc - and so forth, the lack of variety is a bit "meh" if you get several sets, but that's just personal preference. As for mold lines, well, I REALLY hate trying to clean up mold lines because try as I might will all the suggested techniques, it's rarely quite smooth in the end. However, snap fit models stilll have mold lines and those brain-damaging sprue attachment points at the most conspicuous of places, so no escape from that either way!

Still, for a beginner or someone coming back to the hobby (like myself) it is VERY cost effective.

A single DV box provides 2 HQs, 1 EL, 1 TR, & 1 FA. 840 pts.

Two friends share the expense of two boxes, each keeping one type of army. The DA player now has 1435 pts., not counting the 2nd set of HQs.

Three DV boxes sharing the cost per player, and the DA side gets 2030 pts of 2 HQs, 3 ELs, 3 TRs, and 3 FAs. One full army as well as a base for a DW and RW. Most of us know how addictive this hobby can be.

It would cost slightly more than a SM Battle Force, which wouldn't give you nearly the same size army.

And that's not even counting people trading and selling. You can pick up the pieces you want for slightly less than sharing a whole box with someone. My initial two DV boxes and later trades and auctions cost me about $500. I have enough for a full Deathwing and Battle Company now at half the cost. The only reason I haven't spent another $100+ for half of Ravenwing is... I don't know why really. Oh yeah, rent and food. I'll wait until next month for RW. Maybe. I'm not really that hungry right now.

Thanks for the army lists and ideas Bannus, and Archangel. Bryan, you've always been so helpful and supportive with all my projects, thanks! One day I may actually complete something!

As for mold (mould?) lines, I know they are everywhere, but on these snap fit models, I only have to clean up a few, because there are less parts, as opposed to every part on a regular marine model.

I have no budget (I'm lucky that way) but I really want to try and finish an army for the first time in 4 years.

Just about 2 months ago I had hardly any 40K models at all, now I want to build something, and hopefully play a game one day soon! (been April since my last game).

I'll start a WIP soon.

Thanks again everyone!

:lol:

Still, for a beginner or someone coming back to the hobby (like myself) it is VERY cost effective.

Oh, no doubt, especially considering the included rulebook (I didn't get the big book). I've seen people sell the mini rulebook for as much as 20-25€ and the models from one side for 35€, so that's basically paying for most of the cost of the one side's army as it is! The only problem is indeed the lack in variety, but with the savings compared to separate kits with the same weapons as you get in the DV box you can indeed easily round out your selection.

Even so, despite being tempted I reckon I'll probably pass on a second DV set, since DA isn't my main army. But who knows, anything can happen if my monetary situation significantly improves. But as it stands, I still have Templar stuff to get, and I want me some Death Company too... and even some orks!

• 3 weeks later...
For a little variety you may want to mix in the marine half of the old starter set if you can find it (Assault on Black Reach). This has a tac squad with different poses, Terminators that can accept arm swaps, and a loyalist dread.

Archived