How to continue

stuka06

Hear me my brothers!

I have recently found myself in the odd situation of my matured resonable self being quite a lot poorer than my happy go lucky younger self, which had all the money he needed and spent it all on Warhammer (round about 7 years ago) Which is about the time I stopped playing Warhammer properly (Some other War thingy came up... Warsmith? Warlock? Warcraft!)

Thing is, now I have, like everyone else a lot of stuff to paint, and not enough time to paint them, about also lacking quite a few models I might want to field.

Now I need the help of my battle brothers to figure out which are the good, the bad, and the useless. And where I need to stock up.

I will mark everything assembled and somewhere during the painting production with UP

HQ:

Belial w/ LC UP

Chaplain

TA Chaplain UP

Chaplain with PF and Jumppack

Chaplain with Jumppack UP

Scriptor UP

Elite:

1 Dreadnought with glued on AssaultC UP

2 Dreadnoughts no arms UP

Dreadnought weapons include 2 ML 2CCW TLLC TLAutoC

Deathwing Squad 2LC 2TH 1 CF I have on cyclone lying around

Troops

27 Tacticals painted

12 Tacticals UP

Seargents (2 PF, 5 CCW)

Special Weapons:

4 Meltas 2 Flamers 2Plasma

5 HB(1UP) 3 LC 4 PC(1 UP) 4 ML

Fast Attack

8 Bikes (2 with option for Melta, Flamer, Plasma and Searg with option for PF,PW)

2 Attackbikes (HB/MM)

4 Landspeers UP (Will have options of HB/MM, I have one pair on Typhoon launchers)

10 Assault Marines

3 Assualt Seargents with PF UP

4 Assault Marines w/ flames UP

9 Assault Marines UP

Heavy Support

2 Razorbacks (1 TLHB , 1 TLLC) 1UP

2 Predators (magnetizes 2x HB sponsons 1x LC sponsons, 2 AC 1 TLLC turret options)

Vindicator UP

Land Raider UP

Drop Pod UP

So this is what I have assembled.

I have more stuff lying around, but counting that will be tough but i does include sammael on the jet bike ~17 scout snipers and additional scouts with various weaponry and a Rhino.

I plan on getting the Dark Vengance Set at the end of the month and a mate wanted to get it too, so that's the stuff I will have soon enough.

But what am I missing. What should I focus on this my painting time?

I want to field a painted army, anything less just irks me. Do you have any army ideas. Small lists I can build now/soon, from which I can expand my forces.

It has been too long since I played a proper game and I just lack the experience right now to make an informed descicion (additionally I have been using the C:SM for any skirmishes I did play)

I hope you can help me and I promise to report any advances I make with your help.

You want some more terminators, and maybe a librarian. Other than that you just have to decide what army you want to play as you have plenty of stuff.

I would use the dark vengeance terminators, the terminators you have, the bikes and speeders, and belial and sammael. Weapon loadouts are a bit up in the air at the moment and there are plenty of opinions about how you should equip your units, apart form a couple of TH/SS models in you deathwing squads, then you should experiment a little. ML/TLLC dreads are still pretty good as fire support but don't make them venerable as it's not worth it anymore.

@CovertToaster: Alright, so basicly focus on building towards Dualwing

@Jehoel and Harleqvin: I am german and certain units have names that would work as an english unit name. Such as the cybot (dreadnought) and the scriptor, which is, in fact, a librarian.

@CovertToaster: Alright, so basicly focus on building towards Dualwing

Yeah, it's because it's the closest thing you have to a complete army otherwise you are going to have to buy quite alot of extra stuff. It's also still pretty good and you can always go one way or the other if you like. Vehicles are a bit contentious atm with the introduction of hull points, there's good and bad points to them, and all of those assault marines you have won't do you huge favours, even though they have had a bit of a boost in 6th ed.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, which sucks, because it means I do not have a viable army right now and might just be better of to use C:SM until such time in the future when the new codex is here and my army is beefed up.

I just focused so much on regular marines that I jsut dont have the stuff I need now. Plus I really like Assault Marines for some reason...

/edit: Just saw that I wrote that I had Sammael painted...I do not. He ist still in his box, being all metaly...

Yeah not gonna happen, I will stick with Dark Angels. I just wanted to figure out if there was any feasble way to integrate them into a DA army.

I guess I will just focus on the Wings for now, and see when I'll be able to play.

Ditch in "don't use" or as in "get rid of them"

Option #1: Right now that seems to be the plan.

Option #2: I won't sell them or anything. With the new Codex around the corner any rash aquisition is not a move I would make, but I will also keep them.

Ah... Then it's a ditch in 'dont get any more of them'.

I'd too would focus on DW and RW, maybe a squad of marines for support.

But I'd wait till the new dex comes out. Till then, I'd just be painting my left-overs, so to say :).

But if you find your collection overwhelming, espescially the non-painted miniatures, I'd be looking in selling/trading the non-painted figures.

I mean, even the painted can be sold/traded, but you may want to hang on to them for sentimental reasons or something. :)

But be prepared to get a small boost now (new dex) but a knock on the head later, when the new SM dex comes out.

First up, I would keep what you have - as you say - the new codex should at least bring a lot of your regular D.A. models back in line with C:SM. And, if you like Assault Marines, then give them a go. They are ridiculously expensive, points-wise, for Dark Angels, but that should change soon too. The hammer of wrath attacks force saves before you even get into your normal attacks, so that's not such a bad thing - of course every other Marine chapter can do the same thing and cheaper...

I also recently had a game primarily using Razorbacks and tacticals (since I was bored of just playing Deathwing). I found that they worked surprisingly well (it was against Space Wolves), so wouldn't discount anything right now.

I would add some more Terminators to what you have (perhaps a box of Assault Terminators to mix-and-match with the Dark Vengeance ones). Otherwise I think you have plenty to be going on with for now.

It seems to me that 6th Edition functions best when you bring a varied force to the table (certainly for marines), so just have some fun playing different lists and don't worry too much about your results to start with - learn what you like and what works for you. But don't get too attached to anything with the new codex imminent!

Archived