Need help honour guard vs command squad

spu00sed

I’m slowing planning my pre heresy Emperors Children, using Codex space marines, and I have come across a dilemma.

The original plan for them was to be a zone mortalis army, however I have expanded this plan into a normal army that can easily play ZM.

Here comes part of the problem, I was originally going to use a captain, since he can’t use orbital barrage, which can’t be used in ZM anyway.

However, since moving to a general army I have considered the chapter master as a character, mostly by looking at their respected bodyguard.

For my desire of ultra kill death bodyguard

A captain can deploy for 235pts

1 apothacary

4 veterans with power weapons and plasma guns

A chapter master can deploy for 185 plus a 25pt surcharge for 210pts overall

5 honour guard with power weapons

So the CM variant is 25pts cheaper, has a better save but only has bolters compared to plasma guns, and FNP, however the Honour guard have +1 attack each since they have power weapon, bolt pistol and bolter (compared with power weapon, bolter and plasma gun).

Which would you go for?

I'd go for Honour Guard, but add a relic blade to the Champion for added hitting power. Comes to basically the same points as the Command squad, is arguably more durable thanks to artificer armour, versatile thanks to mixed power weapons, and of course more attacks.

Archived