Of Angels and Paints

Plastic Rat

This is an initial post to get the topic rolling.

In a nutshell, I've tried the new paints and am very much not satisfied. Caliban Green lacks a lot of the lustre that Dark Angels Green had. The new style of painting that the new paints seem to be designed for focus on harsh highlights that just don't look good IMO.

My usual formula for DA armor was a basecoat over black of 50/50 Chaos Black and Dark Angels Green. This was followed by a flat surface highlight of pure Dark Angels Green (often airbrushed from an angle to create a subtle lighting effect), followed by a further highlight of Snot Green and Dark Angels Green. I'd put a final edge highlight of pure snotgreen on the sharpest edges. Possibly a thin coat of Dadab Black(nuln oil) to dull it down if it looked too much like a disco refugee.

With the new paints this just doesn't work. The Caliban Green is much closer to "Orkhide Shade" of before. It's dull and matte without the emerald lustre of DA Green. By the time it's built up to a second highlight it still lacks a lot of lustre and still just looks dull and flat. The edge highlights go on to make it look too sharply contrasted.

Also, when it comes to airbrushing I don't find the new paints very good. There's something about them that doesn't give as good a coat as the old ones.

So today I went over here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Ra...atibility_Chart

I've put in an order to Maelstrom for The Vallejo Model Color, Vallejo Game Color, Privateer Press P3 and Coat D'arms equivalents of Dark Angels Green. When they arrive I hope to do an extensive set of side by side comparisons with each paint using both brushed and airbrushed techniques. Hopefully I can find a renewable source of a satisfactory Dark Angels Green equivalent. Who knows I might even learn some new techniques.

In the meantime I'm interested in anything anyone else has found out about the transition to the new paints. If you have any questions or things you would like me to test in my ongoing search for knowledge of all things Dark Angel painting please post them here.

Off topic: I recently discovered the Vallejo Alcohol based metalics (Liquid Gold). Used correctly they are incredible. They have changed the way I do metallics. If you ever get the chance look into them. One of the best things to come out of a paint company, period.

Back in July when I started my Dark Angels army I picked up the Army Painter Angel Green spray Primer and the War Paints Angel Green paint. As advertised, the War Paints Angel Green matches their primer exactly. I've used the War Paints Greenskin as a drybrush Highlight and it works really well.

With my fathers death last month the project got put on hold. I am hoping to get started again in the coming weeks, I'll try to get some pics posted once I get this Lightbox project finished.

To the OP:

See Bryan Blaire's thread HERE for a very thorough comparison and review of the new paints, including a variety of color options. There are plenty of good quality comparison pics, and explanations for exactly what colors were used to do what, at each stage of the painting. Very good job on Bryan's part.

Took me a bit of effort to find that thread, which makes me wonder why it hasn't been stickied somewhere. Same goes for a stickied "What's on the Dark Angels Chapter Upgrade sprue?", as it is not like we haven't seen that one pop up time and again. Just saying.

You can find the contents of the veteran sprue in +++THE LAWS OF THE LION+++ thread which is stickied to the top of the Dark Angels forum. However Brian Blaire's excellent thread hasn't been added to that yet and is definitely a worthy addition.

Archived