Ideas for building an army or two out of the Dark Vengeance

Morannon

Hi all

I'm in the process of starting a Space Marine army. I'm using the new Dark Vengeance sets as the foundation and was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to get the maximum benefit from the boxes.

You can use multiple boxes or just a single box if you like. I've bought two boxes and are farming bikes whereever I can (I like bikes...). So basically, mix and match the contents of the DV-sets (there'll be lots of options for buying the models on the cheap) and add what you think compliments them.

I'm adding a Land Raider and twin Razorbacks and Dreadnoughts from my Grey Knights. Coupled with bikes and the tacticals from the sets, I think it's a start for a fun and admittedly not overly competitive army.

Have you any plans for the new sets? Both up and coming Dark Angels and Chaos Warmasters :)

Back in July I started work on my Dark Angels army. I already had a 2000 point SM army that was unpainted so I just started adding some robed DA elements to really make the army. However, some things will be changing with the addition of the models from Dark Vengeance.

I've been thinking about what I would do if I were to start a DA army completely from the DV set. 2 sets is the minimum I would need, and if I could trade the chaos models for two more DA sets that would give me 4 sets worth of DA models to play with.

4 Masters

4 Librarians

4 Tactical Squads

12 Bikes

4 Termi Squads

The Tactical Squads would each get a Rhino (buy Razorback kits, only $5USD more).

The Bikes I would make into two squads of 5 each, consisting of 1 Sarg, 2 w/Bolt Pistol, 2 w/Plasma Guns. I would then buy two Attack Bikes to round out the squads.

I would then use the other two Bike Sergeants for conversions.

This would be the minimum of what I would buy right now. Until the rest of the DA line comes out with the new codex, I wouldnt know what else to do. A lot of things depend on what we'll have access too and what will be new.

I was considering similar ideas in my Deathwing Vengeance and Tactical Vengeance threads. I haven't done a Ravenwing Vengeance thread yet due to lack of bikes from the DV. I have three RW Battle Forces that would supplement them nicely in the future.

Really, three DV boxes will give you at least 2000 points to play with. It's a great base for kickstarting a DW and RW force as well.

The wait for the codex is slowing me down in case of new weapon layouts, units, etc.

Meanwhile, grab a few DV sets and some devastator boxes for alternate heavy weapons and a box or two of assault terminators for the double sets of sprues in each (each assault term box has enough bits for 5 pairs of lightning claws and 5 pairs of thunderhammers and stormshields - you can equip two squads for the price of one).

Archived