Special Weapons in Assault Squads

Chaplain Admetus

I run a Dante guard list but I still throw in a double melta assualt squad for deep striking tank busters. I combat squad them to put 5 bare guys in a stormraven for late game objective claiming and put sarge, 2 meltas, 2 chumps and Dante together. Dante sticks the landing allowing me to double melt any tank with the two melta guns and his melta pistol. They drop into the center of my opponent's battle line and reliably take out two tanks before biting it. While they don't usually make their points back directly, the lack of armor in the center generally saves enough lives to make it a valid tactic.

I am looking more and more at running a 2 Flamer RAS and a 2 Melta RAS in conjunction.

I have several DC hand flamer bits sitting around, any thoughts on the useful ness of a hand flamer, at strength 3 I am skeptical about the effectiveness of these when they cost 10 points... are they worth it most of the time? wish they were cheaper, a 5 point hand flamer would almost be an auto take.

Hand Flamers are ok at best. For Assault marines I would always take a meltagun or flamer over the pistol version. Sometimes its nice to add one to a sergeant or IC.

Yep I agree, vs MEQ the max you can expect out of them is 1 and if your opponent really is unlucky, 2 casulties.

They are a bit better vs IG troops but those should not be a problem anyway so better spend those 10 extra on something usefull.

I run a Dante guard list but I still throw in a double melta assualt squad for deep striking tank busters. I combat squad them to put 5 bare guys in a stormraven for late game objective claiming and put sarge, 2 meltas, 2 chumps and Dante together. Dante sticks the landing allowing me to double melt any tank with the two melta guns and his melta pistol. They drop into the center of my opponent's battle line and reliably take out two tanks before biting it. While they don't usually make their points back directly, the lack of armor in the center generally saves enough lives to make it a valid tactic.

Above,

Mighty fine tactic, I do the same altough I don't run Dante to often.

Yep I agree, vs MEQ the max you can expect out of them is 1 and if your opponent really is unlucky, 2 casulties.

They are a bit better vs IG troops but those should not be a problem anyway so better spend those 10 extra on something usefull.

A handflamer can be useful vs non-MEQ in the hands of an independent character. Our HQs can munch entire squads by themselves if they get a little help thinning out the numbers. I used this all the time in the old PDF dex, chaplain with JP and combiflamer (you kept the BP back then).

Detaching an IC to deal with more than one target (and not suffer the disorganized assault penalty) is still a valid tactic.

A handflamer can be useful vs non-MEQ in the hands of an independent character. Our HQs can munch entire squads by themselves if they get a little help thinning out the numbers. I used this all the time in the old PDF dex, chaplain with JP and combiflamer (you kept the BP back then).

As stated above, I do agree it can give you some kind of added value vs non-meq's. Thing is, I would still only use it if you really have those 10 points left and you cant add a combi-something anywhere else.

Like all form of templates it is offcourse not only effective vs IG but due to the S3 it does about as much as a rapid firing bolter, in my recent experience.

As stated above, I do agree it can give you some kind of added value vs non-meq's. Thing is, I would still only use it if you really have those 10 points left and you cant add a combi-something anywhere else.

I never have 10 spare points :)

But since we're talking about it I'll try it out on a div librarian (bike or JP) and see how it goes. Some rerolls can make a world of difference as everyone who's faced seraphim will attest to.

I'm pretty sure Prescience has no effect on Flamer template weapons. The wording of Prescience says that you re-roll failed hits. It doesn't twin-link; I don't have my rulebook right now, is it a wording of template weapons that any ability which allows re-rolling hits then applies to re-rolling wounds?

EDIT: Confirmed, Prescience does nothing for Template weapons.

Tested my new squads today... the twin flamer one never got a chance to shine (but then, against the Forge World Eldar Corsair list it was never going to, nor was it against mono-Nurgle), but the meltas were boss. Snake eyes to wound the obliterators in the second game (but that's such a slim chance), but they caused absolute havoc against the mechdar. Combat squadded in reserve, with a melta in each half... gave my opponent an absolute fit. Definitely enjoying this version, as playing against hordes is almost a guarantee at some point.

I'm pretty sure Prescience has no effect on Flamer template weapons. The wording of Prescience says that you re-roll failed hits. It doesn't twin-link; I don't have my rulebook right now, is it a wording of template weapons that any ability which allows re-rolling hits then applies to re-rolling wounds?

EDIT: Confirmed, Prescience does nothing for Template weapons.

I was thinking about misfortune and precognition, not the primaris power.

Archived