Codex: Space Marines foot-slogging armies in 6th Edition

Dosjetka

Hello!

I've just ordered a large number of Space Marine infantry boxes to get various conversion bits when a thought struck me: are Space Marines at least reasonably good in foot-slogging lists?

The reason I ask this is because I clearly remember that in 5th Edition, mech armies were the way to go. But now it seems like foot-slogging lists have received a bit of a buff in this edition (from what I've quickly read/heard) and I am looking for confirmation/denial of this. I only just got my head around the 5th Edition rules when 6th Ed. came round, meaning that I'm a bit lost now, so any well-explained advice is definitely much appreciated :P

Cheers,

Ludovic

ok my 2 cents:

Footslogging marines have improved in 6th!

-Bolters can now shoot 24 inch after moving

-CC vs vehicles has improved, yay krak grenades

-units NEED to be outside their transports to score an objective

I think they could work in 5th, when taken in enough numbers. And they work better now thanks to the reasons I have listed.

At only 1020 points you can have 60 walking space marines

Add in 1-2 full assault marine squads and youve got a massive power armor army

Might want to bring 1-2 devastator squads for long range vehicle killing and youve got over a 100 guys on foot!!

Footslogging Marines are slow, this is their biggest problem. They are also vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons, as they have nowhere to hide. They aren't much cheaper though - for the cost of 2 SMs you can buy a Rhino.

I can't see any pros of taking Marines on foot - you are slower, put in more dangerous situations and you don't even save points on this.

Footslogging Marines are slow, this is their biggest problem. They are also vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons, as they have nowhere to hide. They aren't much cheaper though - for the cost of 2 SMs you can buy a Rhino.

I can't see any pros of taking Marines on foot - you are slower, put in more dangerous situations and you don't even save points on this.

Thats why you back them up with bikes no? Attack bikes especially have received a buff due to straight 5 Toughness. You could also supplement majority foot slogging with drop pods.

As Ragnarok has said. Drop pods are a little more reasonable now because you don't have to drop right on top of your opponent to get the most use out of your bolters. With reserves coming in on 3+ starting turn 2, it makes it more likely your first wave wil lbe reinforced reasonable well on turn 2. Add in Tigerus or a luck roll on your warlord traits and its even better. As far as all marines without any vehicles, Ive ran a SM army sense 3rd edition like that and contrary to popular belief I always did rather well with them all the way through 3rd to 5th and now 6th. Attack bikes are great too. if you don't have some get them. they have amazing punch for such a cheap unit. I would also recommend a thunderfire cannon or 2 to help if not damage your opponent then to at least help slow them down too. 4 to 8 blast templets going into them a turn really helps with crowd control.

Footslogging Marines have impressed in 6th. But then they aren't as mobile as Marines in Rhinos, which can be vital in objective games especially. I'd take a mix, hybrid is the way to go now IMO for most armies.

I run i footslogging list forty tactical marines, command squad, ten assault marines and a predator. Its been fairly effective so far they only downside being you're very slow, compared with a mechanised rush and god help you if the enemy brings a Leman Russ Executioner or the like as they can decimate squads fairly easily. I find it quite a good list for capturing objectives and even though infantry are less survivable against tanks or the like it should never be forgotten that space marines are equipped as well or indeed better than the Elite units of other armies and as such your survivability even without transports should be quite good.

Archived