New codex

Apahllo

I want to use this thread to discuss the new codex and models release for the 6th edition dark angels.

Stern guard and vanguard are both rumored to be part of the new codex. Looking forward to special issue ammo! Also the elite choice chaplains could be a lot like them apothecaries from BA. Then there is so much more in the rumors like sky fire whirlwinds, Mortis dreadnoughts and a flying land speeder.

Let's hear how you think the codex will turn out and what changes or upgrades you'd like to see!

I've got to agree that I'm intensely looking forward to Sternguard (or some equivalent tactical veteran unit.) Additionally, the Land Speeder Tempest has me happy (should have been a Space Marine flyer before the Storm Talon IMO.)

However, the thing that I'm most anticipating isn't any new unit but rather the tightening of our existing stuff. Pulling Tacticals, Assault Marines (especially), and Devastators into line with other codexes will do wonders for those units and I find it difficult to forsee a codex where Ravenwing aren't more affordable. These slight changes heavily alter the synergy in our codex and make it much more competative.

Ya know, it's all speculation and heresay right now. Multiple threads have a ton of wish listing including the 22+ page rumor thread.

But I'll bite:

I want mechanical lions that can combine into a dreadknight like model.

If we get that unit, then I'll know GW hasn't abanded game design altogether. If we don't, then the codex will be a refresh/update codex- the codex we should have received for 5th edition.

I do not want Wolf Guard, Sternguard, Death Company, Vanguard, Honor Guard, or any other unit in any other codex. I want a brand new, never before seen unit. Before the cries of "We have the Deathwing!", let me say this: the only unique thing about the Deathwing is the name. Three other armies do Deathwing better.

Ya know, it's all speculation and heresay right now. Multiple threads have a ton of wish listing including the 22+ page rumor thread.

But I'll bite:

I want mechanical lions that can combine into a dreadknight like model.

No way. Summoning the psychic force of the Lion himself into the Champion of Caliban is far cooler!!!

gallery_8429_7564_23968.jpg

If we get that unit, then I'll know GW hasn't abanded game design altogether. If we don't, then the codex will be a refresh/update codex- the codex we should have received for 5th edition.

New units are never what you expect them to be. Where would the fun be?

I do not want Wolf Guard, Sternguard, Death Company, Vanguard, Honor Guard, or any other unit in any other codex. I want a brand new, never before seen unit. Before the cries of "We have the Deathwing!", let me say this: the only unique thing about the Deathwing is the name. Three other armies do Deathwing better.

Unless GW actually makes DA DW better than the rest. A rare but distinct possibility. Maybe when lions can fly.

From duplicate thread:

I've got to agree that I'm intensely looking forward to Sternguard (or some equivalent tactical veteran unit.) Additionally, the Land Speeder Tempest has me happy (should have been a Space Marine flyer before the Storm Talon IMO.)

However, the thing that I'm most anticipating isn't any new unit but rather the tightening of our existing stuff. Pulling Tacticals, Assault Marines (especially), and Devastators into line with other codexes will do wonders for those units and I find it difficult to forsee a codex where Ravenwing aren't more affordable. These slight changes heavily alter the synergy in our codex and make it much more competative.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Getting the DA's house in order should be the first order of a new codex.

New shiny is nice, but the candy usually melts when the wrapper comes off, y'know?

If there was a new unit to be had, howabout something like a DA assassin or super-scout? Something unique providing a bonus on the field, i.e. the DA's were prepared for such an action, etc.

Yes an extra 5/10 points on every special/heavy weapon is sad and annoying. Lvl 2 psykers is a must, but I'm more interested in chaplains. And if we get any awesome codes unique rules with them it will be the icing on the cake.I think the new units will be the tempest and AA gun whirlwinds.

Does anybody know anything about the standards that buff the army rumor or how that could actually work?

The Ravenlions, an elite branch of the Ravenwing who ride cyber-lions... that also have wheels! All the advantages of both Cavalry and Bikes combined.

The Lionwing, an even more elite branch of the Ravenlions, whose cyber-lion-bikes are cyber-lion-jetbikes! Because the only thing cooler than a Space Marine on a lion-crossed-with-a-motorbike, is a Space Marine on a lion-crossed-with-a-motorbike THAT FLIES.

The Grey Knights got a Dreadknight, which is a bit like a Terminator riding a giant Terminator. I WANT TO GO ONE BETTER. Give the Dark Angels an Angelknight, which is like a Dreadknight but for us, but also give us an Angelknightknight, which is a Terminator riding a giant Terminator riding an EVEN MORE giant Terminator.

Our last edition allowed a Company Master to carry a vast quantity of wargear -- for example, you could give him a pair of Lightning Claws AND a combi-melta AND a plasma pistol. If a mere Company Master can have all that, give Belial and Sammael MORE STILL! Belial: twin Thunder Hammers, a Multi-Melta built into his left eye, at least five kinds of grenade. And a jetpack. Sammael gets his Land Speeder, but a bit beefed up (14/14/12, maybe), and if the enemy destroys his Land Speeder, he RIDES OUT from the flaming wreckage, on his jetbike. Which by this point is also a lion. Obviously.

Anyway. Seriously for a moment. I don't much mind, really. I would quite like it if our new rumoured Chaplains are worth having -- which means, a bit better than they tend to be in C:SM. It'd certainly be lovely to have Deathwing as troops without Belial. A solid, powerful, but not overpowered Ravenwing, still able to scout/outflank, and able to work with Deathwing, as DA should at their best, to deliver precision, shooting-oriented attacks on one enemy flank. An Ironwing/Greenwing whose main role is support -- shooting-heavy, perhaps vehicle-heavy. A few shooty unique or rare units.

The Ravenlions, an elite branch of the Ravenwing who ride cyber-lions... that also have wheels! All the advantages of both Cavalry and Bikes combined.

The Lionwing, an even more elite branch of the Ravenlions, whose cyber-lion-bikes are cyber-lion-jetbikes! Because the only thing cooler than a Space Marine on a lion-crossed-with-a-motorbike, is a Space Marine on a lion-crossed-with-a-motorbike THAT FLIES.

The Grey Knights got a Dreadknight, which is a bit like a Terminator riding a giant Terminator. I WANT TO GO ONE BETTER. Give the Dark Angels an Angelknight, which is like a Dreadknight but for us, but also give us an Angelknightknight, which is a Terminator riding a giant Terminator riding an EVEN MORE giant Terminator.

Our last edition allowed a Company Master to carry a vast quantity of wargear -- for example, you could give him a pair of Lightning Claws AND a combi-melta AND a plasma pistol. If a mere Company Master can have all that, give Belial and Sammael MORE STILL! Belial: twin Thunder Hammers, a Multi-Melta built into his left eye, at least five kinds of grenade. And a jetpack. Sammael gets his Land Speeder, but a bit beefed up (14/14/12, maybe), and if the enemy destroys his Land Speeder, he RIDES OUT from the flaming wreckage, on his jetbike. Which by this point is also a lion. Obviously.

:lol:

Isn't there already a rumors thread for this kinda topic?

I'd be happy with a reduced points cost for our Tactical, Ravenwing and Devastator Squads. Also, the option to take a generic Deathwing Captain or Company Master in TDA would be interesting. Other than that, I'll just play the "wait and see" game. Which is exactly how GW wants it to be.

I hate to break it to you, but the dark angels are a space marine army. That means we're probably going to get units like the sternguard, vanguard and honor guard. Sure, (hopefully) we'll get some new and flavorful rules and units, but at the end of the day, dark angels are still a mostly codex chapter and we're probably going to get the standard space marine units. If you want brand new never before seen units, go play necrons. They just got completely overhauled with a bunch of brand new units.

And what armies do deathwing better?

Paladins? They're expensive. And for every paladin they invest in, the fewer support units their going to get and the easier it will be to out maneuver them. Tarpit them with a unit of deathwing. They're going to last at least a couple rounds against them and give you time to move around them. They're also not a fan of AP1/2 weapons. And in order to make these guys scoring, you either need a grandmaster or draigo, neither of which are cheap.

Wolfguard? Not scoring unless you buy logan. Not cheap at all. For a wolfguard terminator to get the same loadout as a TH/SS deathwing terminator they're paying almost 50% more. Same solution as the paladins: outmaneuver them. Because if they're foolish enough to fill their army with these units, the deathwing will actually outnumber them.

We have terminators that get 3+ invul saves for free and can be made scoring for only 130 pts. Did I mention that their fearless? That means to take an objective from them, you either have to kill all of them, or physically move them. If it's a >1500 pt game, I'm running 5 of those units.

The point is, no one does deathwing better than deathwing.

Following the trend of all the codexes since BA. I think there are a few definite new units like.

A flyer. Personally I hope its not the tempest or some crappy stormtalon spin-off. If we don't get a transport, I hope its a new 3hp fighter/bomber.

A new dred. I think we're definitely getting the mortis. Hopefully with new load-outs like duel plasma cannons or duel TL assault cannons. Maybe even something unique.

Some kind of unique elite unit like death company, sang preist/guard, paladins, immortals, etc. there is the rumor of an inner circle unit that could fit this.

New tank. most likely the plasma pred. I hope its an executioner pred and not a PC pred.

New wargear. No clue what but im positive it will be more than we have now. Heavenfall blades, blades of reason, plasma grenades, etc.

A character overhaul and New characters. Better generic masters with a possible ”grand strategies” perk. A new successor master, the return of asmodei or syphon. maybe sgt namaan or brother bethnor.

a overhaul of DW and RW with possible new units and minor characters.

Chaplains/ interrogator chaplains will most likely be revamped.

A bunch of new psychic powers and leadership 10 libbies.

A huge points restructuring bringing us inline with other PA codexes.

We should atleast get these and hopefully more.

I'd be happy with a reduced points cost for our Tactical, Ravenwing and Devastator Squads.

I like this...although, in lieu of a points cut, I'd actually prefer that the ravenwing get a bit of a buff to actually be worth the points that we pay for them when we take lots of them...as it is, I think they're costed okay if you take just one squadron in support of a non-black army...

What I really want is stubborn sergeants! Bring back the "you can kill off 70% of my squad, but until you kill 80%, you still get plasma to the face" 3x10 plas/plas tactical squad immovable object core to my 3rd edition DA list...please!

Before the cries of "We have the Deathwing!", let me say this: the only unique thing about the Deathwing is the name.

Ah, but so wrong you are my lad.....'Tis not just the name but also the background 'fluff"... Our Deatwing is armed with a repeter, multi barrel fluff launcher regardless of the edition and no one's taking that away!! :woot:

SG

As a modeller I want super- detailled characters in plastic with multiple-choice sprues.What we will probably get is failcast. Either way I'll be happy.I suppose Belial is my no 1 choice.

While i think we will see them in plastic one day, it still will be a long time.

What we will most likely see in every codex, one or more flyers and some AA units maybe. I don't know what to think about Sternguard and similar units, unless they have changed fluff for the DA they dont really fit in.

I would like to see the ravenwing back to the old codex lines i.e. i want my attack bike squadrons back without having to default on the SM codex. I hope we will not get the tempest as a bad excuse for a flyer to me its one of the least spectacular models forgeworld ever did. But what would be really important to me is that the DAs are a different playstyle than the other marine forces without limiting them to either a ravenwing or deathwing army. Dont get me wrong I like having the option to play all terminator or to play bikers. But cant there be more?

I want Greenwing to be as competitive as shooty Space Dogs.

While I realize we won't get Fire Control or double special weapon troops, I want some rules that will allow Greenwing to be both shooty and mobile. Perhaps something that allows snap shots to hit on 5+ after moving (possibly not for Overwatch), a character providing something like Lysander's Bolter Drill, or just flat out scoring Sternguard.

I want Deathwing to stay (bar possibly points costs) exactly as they are now. I want Belial to be allowed more custom weaponry (Power Weapon/Storm Shield springs to mind), or allow a Company Master that can wear TDA.

I want Stormravens, just not Storm Talons. I want cheaper Drop Pods and I want to be able to use the without looking like a dunce. I want twin-linked Plasmagun-turrets for our Razorbacks. I want the Skyfire/Interceptor Whirlwinds.

But most of all, I want a strong, solid Greenwing that can take on shooty Wolves or Grey Knights and not be a borderline pushover.

I'm hoping we get away from the "mostly Codex" bunk and get some new stuff to reflect this: new weapons load outs, new unit types or internal unit fighting styles (interlocked circles or some such), Jetbikes!, how about somethings the Dark Angels HAVEN'T shared with the AdMech/other chapters...

Let's face it, the hiding in plain sight by Codex compliance idea is dumb when you consider the secret the Blood Angels hide and they still thumb their noses at everyone over their STC.

Honestly, the only unit I really want to see come to us is an Honor Guard-style unit (with better sword play rules and maybe a divide and lead rule) as representatives of the Inner Circle, and for the C:SM to lose theirs, since it really doesn't seem to reflect the Ultramarines stylistically. It fits better as a unit type for the DA, BA and BT. The Mortis should be ours, but with all the weapon options, not just missile launchers and autocannons. I'm really tired of seeing local C:SM players complain about/fight over a couple of DA players using "over-powered Forge World Mortis dreadnoughts" that simply bear two TL-autocannons and then plop their TLAC dread(s) down on the table.

Archived