Terminator sergeant melee weapon.

garreth

In 5Ed and before, Terminator sergeant was least useful member of squad, because he has only power sword and no +1A for two weapons. He always was killed first.

Now we have choice - which power weapon to give him - sword, axe, maul. I think sword is least useful as it now only ap3. What to choose - axe, for s5 ap2 I 1 attacks, or s6 ap4 I4 attacks which can set enemy models strike at I1?

What do You think?

I'd say an axe is a waste on the only model in the squad that could be striking at I4, the choice between sword/maul is harder and probably depends on the typical armour type worn by your average opponents?

I disagree, Shiny, and say go to the maul. You've got plenty of power armor-defeating hits with the power fists already. Use the maul for higher-strength impacts in case you run afoul of xenos -- few of whom have armor better than 4+.

The downside of the maul, is that the sergeant can be challenged, and a significant percentage - certainly a higher percentage than that of normal unit attacks - will be equipped with AP2 weapons, Axes or Fists. Terminator Sergeant with a maul is pretty likely to lose the challenge vs a normal Tactical Sergeant with even an Axe. The sword, however, means you're ignoring the armor of everything except another TEQ challenger, making it good for you to challenge against even fist-swinging MEQ characters.

I disagree, Shiny, and say go to the maul. You've got plenty of power armor-defeating hits with the power fists already. Use the maul for higher-strength impacts in case you run afoul of xenos -- few of whom have armor better than 4+.

The downside of the maul, is that the sergeant can be challenged, and a significant percentage - certainly a higher percentage than that of normal unit attacks - will be equipped with AP2 weapons, Axes or Fists. Terminator Sergeant with a maul is pretty likely to lose the challenge vs a normal Tactical Sergeant with even an Axe. The sword, however, means you're ignoring the armor of everything except another TEQ challenger, making it good for you to challenge against even fist-swinging MEQ characters.

....so don't accept the challenge? In this scenario, you miss out on two attacks that don't penetrate the enemy's armor anyway. So have the sergeant step back and let the power fists do the heavy lifting.

I'd stick with the sword. Partly because I like the look, partly because that's what they come with, and also so that you can take challenges at AP3. I'm not sure about mauls in a PA orientated environment.

I'd double check what the entry says for Sergeant. The Blood Angels codex specifically says "Power Sword", don't have the others to hand to check

In C:SM it's FAQed:

Var – Power Swords

In the bestiary and army list, replace all references to “power

sword” with “power weapon”.

Maybe in C:BA FAQ too.

I'd stick with the sword. Partly because I like the look, partly because that's what they come with, and also so that you can take challenges at AP3. I'm not sure about mauls in a PA orientated environment.

I have to agree with Dark Guard. You have plenty of Str8/AP2 melee weapons among the ranks - so power mauls and axes are not going to give you any real perks. The power sword and maul offset the power fist's primary drawback: I1, but the sword will cut through power armor and not too many challengers are going to have a worse armor save.

I understand where your swinging at against the lance ... but 4 models with powerfists... will the target of the combat survive?... TO be honest the risk is... having a model that usually decent at one task or... amazing at what he is set to do.

The task of Characters in the squad should be to go toe to toe with opposing forces characters, if not they should be a heavy hitter in the squad. I know the Lance avoids that idea all together...but excels in early attack for a MEQ so for me I enjoy the Lance edging away attack from the attacking unit. ... I can't see any other weapon that doesn't excel at that specific task.

I'd double check what the entry says for Sergeant. The Blood Angels codex specifically says "Power Sword", don't have the others to hand to check

In C:SM it's FAQed:

Var – Power Swords

In the bestiary and army list, replace all references to “power

sword” with “power weapon”.

Maybe in C:BA FAQ too.

Missed that, and it's in the BA FAQ too. Thanks !

If you had a chance to use concussive force it would have been awesome...

Sword seems just fine. If you thought a maul would be useful, should have a heavy flamer in the squad...either d3 HF hits when they charge in, or a full template of HF hits when you charge them.

Jus' sayin. Friday afternoon = Miller Time...

Archived