Why a 7-man plague marine squad?

ArmageddonBorn

and it is Nurgle's sacred number

Mainly this. :D

Slaanesh's is six, Nurgle's is seven, Khorne's is eight and Tzeentch's is nine.

(Iirc, someone once told me Malal's was five but that's not entirely relevant here.)

If they used the phrase 'magic number' they probably meant it literally :rolleyes:

It's worth mentioning that, I think, in earlier versions of the Codex having a squad with the sacred number did give you some benefits. Now the only benefit is the nice warm feeling for fluffy playing as Papa Nurgle gifts you something horrific for your devotion.

Pretty sure Malal's sacred number was 11 but I may be wrong. And statistically 7 plague marines actually were about the equivalent of 10 non-plague marines assuming that your opponent armed his squads in a way that wasn't stupid. It's probably different now, I haven't mathed it out since 5th when I had a Death Guard army. The upshot was that PMs were significantly tougher against "normal" attacks (and really really durable against lasguns) while being less efficient against fists/plasma etc (they cost a lot more but die just as easily). So yeah, sacred number + keeping cost/squad down.

Pretty sure Malal's sacred number was 11 but I may be wrong. And statistically 7 plague marines actually were about the equivalent of 10 non-plague marines assuming that your opponent armed his squads in a way that wasn't stupid. It's probably different now, I haven't mathed it out since 5th when I had a Death Guard army. The upshot was that PMs were significantly tougher against "normal" attacks (and really really durable against lasguns) while being less efficient against fists/plasma etc (they cost a lot more but die just as easily). So yeah, sacred number + keeping cost/squad down.

Yep, Malal's number was 11!

Malal? (had to look that one up...)

So you're telling me there is a renegade chaos god of anarchy, whose followers indulge in cannibalism? Why am I just now learning about this??? Hello punk rock chaos marines! Black and white checkers, red tartan tabards, mohawks and liberty spikes, studded and spiky power armor, molotav cocktail grenades, graffiti-tagged rhinos, here I come!

So you're telling me there is a renegade chaos god of anarchy, whose followers indulge in cannibalism? Why am I just now learning about this??? Hello punk rock chaos marines! Black and white checkers, red tartan tabards, mohawks and liberty spikes, studded and spiky power armor, molotav cocktail grenades, graffiti-tagged rhinos, here I come!

Haha, the 'Doomed Ones' (or is it lost ones?) are his reptillian daemon servants.

The Sons of Malice are a bit of a nod to Malal (hence the black and white colour scheme and being excommunicated for eating some Ecclesiarchy).

It's a tricky colour scheme to do well, but looks awesome when done right.

Mal'al was the fifth god in setting background back from Rogue Trader era. It was later removed from background fluff due to business issues with the designer of the god claiming rights to the idea upon leaving GW. However as all good Chaos players do, when Mal'al was removed they threw a tirade at the removal of the Dark God that truly embodied chaos itself (The effect of an Chaos Gods plans to suffer Mal'als wishes was in fact keeping Chaos truly Chaotic). None the less GW did not want to deal with the consequences of still posting the god in their fluff but in recognition of the Chaos players gave them the Sons of Malice in 3.5 Dex as a single picture with no mention of their god or purpose. In 4th they were removed completely in an effort to remove any context of the god from the game. But we..the Chaos Players will never let it die.

COUNT THE SEVEN.

Erm. Yes. Slaanesh is 6, Nurgle is 7, MIGHTY KHORNE! is 8, and the wretched liar-god Tzeentch is 9.

Didn't know Malal had a sacred number. That's interesting.

Od.

Haha, the 'Doomed Ones' (or is it lost ones?) are his reptillian daemon servants.

The Sons of Malice are a bit of a nod to Malal (hence the black and white colour scheme and being excommunicated for eating some Ecclesiarchy).

It's a tricky colour scheme to do well, but looks awesome when done right.

OOOooohhhh reptilian daemons! Even better! I've been looking for an excuse to build some gator-men and such... what is the source on this? I didn't see that when I looked it up. I was wondering what manner of daemon would be associated with Malal.

If (and this is a true if as I have too many irons in the fire already) I go ahead with it, I'll probably do some variation on that split half black/half white color scheme, but it will still be black and white. Definitely some punker cultists! Sorry for diverting the thread!

If (and this is a true if as I have too many irons in the fire already) I go ahead with it, I'll probably do some variation on that split half black/half white color scheme, but it will still be black and white. Definitely some punker cultists! Sorry for diverting the thread!

Do it. Folks say Malal was retconned out of existence, but they are just trying to obscure the truth! Anarchy for the Anarchy God!

Archived