Pre-Heresy Roll Call!

Jolemai

Assuming you haven't been hiding under a rock for the past few weeks you will have seen that Forgeworld have announced that they will be doing heresy era rules. That means:

Jetbike models (confirmed)

Fellblade models (confirmed)

Sanguinius model (Primarches will have rules for Apocalypse games, so...)

N'Kari and Kabandah models (at a guess)

... and any other fluff related BA stuff from that era.

Now I know that our turn wont happen for a while, but other than purchasing a Sangiunius model, will you have a Pre-Heresy army?

What do you like so much about the MkIV?

It's by far (to me anyway) the nicest looking of all armour variants (the helmet especially) plus its classed as the pinnacle of power armour technology, and as we know the Blood Angels are the greatest of all the original legions, so it only seems fitting that they wear the best!

I am in for anything mk2-mk4. Jetbikes maybe, but a fellblade? Absolutely! Cataphract terminators and the like. I suppose the current guard kit will suffice just fine for their heresy era models. Ill take stock and make a list of items to purchase after games day.

Quite, perhaps shamefully, I don't even know which bolters are supposed to go with which mark armour! :) Then add all the raider variants and I'm lost. A quick explanation is always welcome. :)

The price issue isn't too bad, at FW, but the quality control is. If FW had a good QC reputation I'd be interested.

Quite, perhaps shamefully, I don't even know which bolters are supposed to go with which mark armour! :) Then add all the raider variants and I'm lost. A quick explanation is always welcome. :)

The price issue isn't too bad, at FW, but the quality control is. If FW had a good QC reputation I'd be interested.

I think that FW quality control is better than GW fine cast. Haven't had any problems of my FW stuff. But my GW fine cast mini's sits at about a 60% failure rate. :)

Since my Blood Angels are really a successor chapter named Blood Reavers, I won't be making them into my Heresy Army. I want to do a traitor legion, so I can play them both as loyalist and traitor, and I don't want to paint another red army, so there goes Thousand Sons. I already have a Blood Angels army play-style, so no World Eaters for me. So I'll probably end up doing Death Guard, as an all black army doesn't appeal to me.

Quite, perhaps shamefully, I don't even know which bolters are supposed to go with which mark armour! :D Then add all the raider variants and I'm lost. A quick explanation is always welcome. ;)

While I don't know what Bolters go with which armour I can say that any of the Forgeworld weapon kits (special, heavy and the bolter kits) will (in my opinion) be passable. That or any RT/2nd edition weapons you have lying around.

LRC and LRR were not around during the Heresy, only the "normal" Land Raider was. As a general rule of thumb, if Chaos have something, then it's pre-heresy. If not, then it's post-heresy :D

It is just a shame that MkIV armour is so badly out of scale really.

only the newer kits seem to be, the standard mk4 marine squad was fine.

the 'mk4' assault squad is too small (and its also technically mk5)

the mk4 commander and banner bearer are just flat out depressing for how short they are.

Regarding bolters, I remember someone on here did get an email from FW saying which bolters for which armour.. I can't remember which was which but i seem to recall disagreeing with them. Going by the concept sketches in the original armour fluff article from WD129/RT Compilation it would be:

MkII & III = Phobos

MkIV & VII = Tigrus or Godwyn

MkV & VI = Umbra

Rationale:

The Umbra is blatantly the plastic boltgun from the RTB01 box re-sized and re-shaped to match the Godwyn of modern marines.

The Tigrus & Phobos don't look much like the guns in the old guns at all - but they have design elements in common with the originals that make them look like 'reimaginings'.

Godwyn: Retcon. Prior to 3rd edition the iconic MkVII marine carried the vaguelyTigrus pattern boltgun, 3rd edition retconned this to the Godwyn pattern. The old sketches showed the MkIV using the same gun as MkVII - so the retcon could be applied to MkIV as well. Presumably the unpublished fluff was that MkV/VI boltgun was a stripped down version designed for faster production to re-equip the loyalists alongaside the MkV armour (presumably the traitors had gotten the lions share of the new guns along with the MkIV armour) with the more advanced designing coming back into production when the tide turned.

It is just a shame that MkIV armour is so badly out of scale really.

only the newer kits seem to be, the standard mk4 marine squad was fine.

the 'mk4' assault squad is too small (and its also technically mk5)

the mk4 commander and banner bearer are just flat out depressing for how short they are.

The standard MkIV squad are anorexic! Please put them next to a MkVII marine and imagine how thin the limbs would need to be to fit in there. And if you put a normal plastic head in place of the helmet it looks even funnier

Archived