Wraithwing's (new) Dark Angels

Wraithwing

So, after a very long hiatus, that pesky Dark Vengeance box set has got me back into modelling and painting my favourite Space Marines, the Dark Angels.

To start with, I thought I'd share my newly converted Company Master, yet to be named:

gallery_5348_1577_20029.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_41989.jpg

Only a simple head and weapon swap, as well as filing away the skull on the shoulder pad.

I'm toying with the idea of giving him a back banner, but I think he looks quite cool without.

What do you think?

Cheers,

WW

Such a simple conversion leading to a top class miniature! It actually suits the pose more to have a sword than a Crozius IMO.

I would leave the back banner off. Not just because I'm a Raptor but because I feel the helmet wings give the model enough height. Adding the back banner may be too much. Also it could be difficult to get the same idea of motion with a back banner. That's just me though and I have been known to throw scorn at anyone with a big "look at me flag" :P

Great work though, look forward to seeing him painted

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback so far folks, really happy with the results of this simple conversion.

As I have a real fondness for the old 2nd Edition look of Dark Angels, I tend to favour back banners on all my characters and squad leaders. As such, I've blu-taced a banner onto the back of this guy to see how it looks:

gallery_5348_1577_4088.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_133243.jpg

(Apologies for the photo quality, poor lighting here.)

What do you think?

I'd probably add a more impressive banner top from the DA Vets sprue if I went with this option.

Cheers,

WW

If I were going with the banner, I'd need to get one with enough movement in it to match that of the cloak. It just looks not quite right to have it hanging straight down when there's so much going on with all of the other fabrics.

thats really cool... :D

is that a full dark vengeance conversion or did the sword come from somewhere else?

The sword is from the Ravenwing upgrade sprue. I wanted to use the blade from the DV Company Master, but it's really quite flimsy to work with.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks, really happy with the results of this simple conversion.

As I have a real fondness for the old 2nd Edition look of Dark Angels, I tend to favour back banners on all my characters and squad leaders. As such, I've blu-taced a banner onto the back of this guy to see how it looks:

gallery_5348_1577_4088.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_133243.jpg

(Apologies for the photo quality, poor lighting here.)

What do you think?

I'd probably add a more impressive banner top from the DA Vets sprue if I went with this option.

Cheers,

WW

What an amazing conversion! i wish i thought of that!! As a fellow fan of 2nd ed banner loving captains i'd say keep the banner. i'm trying to find a suitable banner for my chapter master too.

can't wait to see more

Well, my September Vow is complete.

I present the Master of the 5th Battle Company (as yet unamed):

gallery_5348_1577_87511.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_70615.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_22076.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_88184.jpg

I'd like to add some further heraldry to the back banner and shoulder pad at some point, but don't have the required decals, and lack the required freehand skill to do it. As he is, I think he looks OK. I've really enjoyed painting this guy, and it's got me fired up for more Dark Angels!

Cheers,

WW

Archived