Wraithwing's (new) Dark Angels

Wraithwing

Yeah, looks fantastic! Pose, colors, everything! Well done Wraithwing!

But why oh why, should the eyelenses be blue??? Not a fan of blue on green and with all the red spots on the mini, the focus moves away from the eyes, making him look a bit less menacing, more robotic if you like and less purposeful... Any chance of turning them to red? Please? :)

Note that the above is personal preference an in no way does it detract from the top notch work that you've done here - certainly way more than I could ever do... :P

It'll be a sad day when my old pots of Dark Angels Green dry out :D

Check out Army Painter's Angel Green in their new Warpaints line. While I dont have any of the old Dark Angels green, it looks very much like it in all the pictures I see of Dark Angels. Maybe not quite as glossy. IT's at least something to look at as a replacement.

I'm using their Angel Green primer as a basecoat and the Angel Green warpaints matches perfectly as advertised.

Funny you should say that. I was in London last Thursday, in Covent Garden, and there's an awesome little games shop there called Orc's Nest, and they had the Warpaints line in stock. I picked up a pot of the Angel Green to compare it against old Dark Angels green and Caliban green. I may have to order a tin of the primer, as it would certainly speed up painting rank and file Dark Angels.

Yeah, looks fantastic! Pose, colors, everything! Well done Wraithwing!

But why oh why, should the eyelenses be blue??? Not a fan of blue on green and with all the red spots on the mini, the focus moves away from the eyes, making him look a bit less menacing, more robotic if you like and less purposeful... Any chance of turning them to red? Please? :lol:

Note that the above is personal preference an in no way does it detract from the top notch work that you've done here - certainly way more than I could ever do... ;)

Yeah, I think you may be right. I'm struggling to get the blue to stand out with the paints I have without it looking to washed out by the green. Limited colour palettes are the way to go anyway. Will have a play with the eyes over the course of today.

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far chaps, most encouraging!

Cheers,

WW

Well, my September Vow is complete.

I present the Master of the 5th Battle Company (as yet unamed):

gallery_5348_1577_87511.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_70615.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_22076.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_88184.jpg

I'd like to add some further heraldry to the back banner and shoulder pad at some point, but don't have the required decals, and lack the required freehand skill to do it. As he is, I think he looks OK. I've really enjoyed painting this guy, and it's got me fired up for more Dark Angels!

Cheers,

WW

Awe - wait for it - some :P

nice conversion - very effective

May just need a little tidying up on the wings and sword on his cloak.

Awe - wait for it - some :P

nice conversion - very effective

May just need a little tidying up on the wings and sword on his cloak.

Yup, I'm aware of this. I suck at wings, and I think I had a little too much primer on the chapter symbol on the cloak for it to be easy, so will have a play.

I'm happy with it for now though.

Can anyone suggest any nice techniques for painting the power sword like a Heavenfall Blade? Similar to Azrael's? I could just highlight the edges, but does anyone have any better suggestions on how to achieve this look?

You could try a marbled effect.

But for obsidian I would go with black with a high gloss varnish coat. You just need to make sure all of your coats of paint and varnish are smooth.

Wow, really awesome. Almost makes me wanna do the same for my Interrogator Chaplain model, if I wasnt already in love with it as is.

Really love the green armour, it looks great. Did you use the new Citadel line colours for it? (Im assuming its the standard DA green base)

No, I can't bring myself to use the new paints, if I'm honest. Recipe is:

Dark Angels Green basecoat

Wash of Badab Black

Snot Green highlight

Wash of Thrakka Green

Scorpion Green extreme highlight

Lots more washes of Thrakka Green to tone it all down.

When I get round to painting the DV Tactical Marines, I'll use the new paints on one of them and see how it turns out.

It'll be a sad day when my old pots of Dark Angels Green dry out :P

Ah - fantastic, I'd been looking for this!

Given some of my old ones have dried out - I'm going to have to look for equivalents... yay.

Won't be able to paint to your standard - it's phenomenal. Will be interested to see how you do the rest of them!

Hmm - I'm wondering what would be the best match:

http://search.games-workshop.com/search?lo...ords=snot+green

Caliban Green for the main - but unsure for Snot/Scorpion replacements?

Given some of my old ones have dried out - I'm going to have to look for equivalents... yay.

Won't be able to paint to your standard - it's phenomenal. Will be interested to see how you do the rest of them!

Warpstone Glow is a pretty dead on replacement for Snot Green. Perhaps not quite as yellow, but still ok. Moot Green is also almost identical to Scorpion Green as far as I can tell.

As for the Dark Angel Green/Caliban Green replacement, I'm not sure. I picked up a pot of Army Painter Warpaints Angel Green, and also have a pot of Vallejo Model Air Olive Green for my airbrush. Angel Green is quite similar to Caliban Green, which in turn seems to look like Orkhide Shade from the Foundation range. Olive Green by Vallejo is much darker than even Dark Angels Green.

I'm just prepping my October Vow, which will be the DV Tactical Squad (or a combat squad of it). I'm planning on using a couple of different greens on them to see which I prefer. I'll post up the results.

YEssssssss! Red eyes! Big difference and improvement imo! Not the mini looks much more menacing and purposeful! You have a great shade of red all over the details of the mini and now it looks just right! :(

Yeah, I had to go for the red eyes in the end. They stand out much better, as you say.

Thanks for the all the positive feedback folks, really inspired me to carry on with the rest of this project.

Cheers,

WW

really, really nice! prefer this to either the chaplain or the original commander models and the painting is great too!

as for alternate paints: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Ra...atibility_Chart

not seen orcs nest - may have to find it, was over that way a coupe of days ago. if you are in london again and near the london eye/waterloo then Darksphere is nearby and sells mutiple brands of paints

really, really nice! prefer this to either the chaplain or the original commander models and the painting is great too!

as for alternate paints: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Ra...atibility_Chart

not seen orcs nest - may have to find it, was over that way a coupe of days ago. if you are in london again and near the london eye/waterloo then Darksphere is nearby and sells mutiple brands of paints

That's a handy chart, thanks!

Wish I'd known Darksphere were in London, would have loved to have visited.

Caliban Green + a glaze of Waywatcher Green gives a color very similar to that of Dark Angels Green without the higher glossy effect of the DA Green paint.

Wraithwing, the Company Master turned out great! I really like the way you've chosen to apply the colors, they have complimented each other very well. My only CnCs: looks like there is a small slip in the upper left corner of the banner that could be bone colored still (it looks like it is still darker than the quartering color it in) and the bright green rim of the base (I think it would look a lot better as a darker brown color). However, you've done a great job with the highlighting, it really brings some depth to the model and does so subtly so there's no Tron effect.

Great work! Hope you can find a blade scheme that you enjoy!

As for the Dark Angel Green/Caliban Green replacement, I'm not sure. I picked up a pot of Army Painter Warpaints Angel Green, and also have a pot of Vallejo Model Air Olive Green for my airbrush. Angel Green is quite similar to Caliban Green, which in turn seems to look like Orkhide Shade from the Foundation range. Olive Green by Vallejo is much darker than even Dark Angels Green.

I tried the Vallejo Dark Green from their Game Color range, with extremely poor results. The color was very washed out, and it dried to a gloss despite supposedly being a matte color. It is bad enough that I was wondering if my bottle was bad somehow, but it has put me off Vallejo paints.

Have you tried using the Warpaints spray? How does that compare to the bottled paint color - I have like 40 tactical marines that I need to paint, so if I can jump-start that process by spraying them all green that would be a big help!

I tried the Vallejo Dark Green from their Game Color range, with extremely poor results. The color was very washed out, and it dried to a gloss despite supposedly being a matte color. It is bad enough that I was wondering if my bottle was bad somehow, but it has put me off Vallejo paints.

Have you tried using the Warpaints spray? How does that compare to the bottled paint color - I have like 40 tactical marines that I need to paint, so if I can jump-start that process by spraying them all green that would be a big help!

Funny you should mention Vallejo paints, as this afternoon I tried Vallejo Model Air Olive Green in my airbrush on a couple of Tactical Marines. Unfortunately, the results were far to dark, almost being indistinguishable from black. In the end, I resuscitated an old pot of Dark Angels Green and used that, with great effects.

I've not used the Army Painter Angel Green spray, though I have used the brown primer in the past, with excellent results. I've sourced a local games shop that carries the Warpaints range, so will try and get up there over the weekend to pick up a can. I've got some spare AoBR Marines, as well as a pot of the Warpaints Angel green paint to have a go with, so will report back with results!

Just an unrelated questions--- How do you update your topic title or sub-title? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Update the title or subtitle for the first post in the thread. That should do it.

Cheers,

WW

Warpstone Glow is a pretty dead on replacement for Snot Green. Perhaps not quite as yellow, but still ok. Moot Green is also almost identical to Scorpion Green as far as I can tell.

I'm just prepping my October Vow, which will be the DV Tactical Squad (or a combat squad of it). I'm planning on using a couple of different greens on them to see which I prefer. I'll post up the results.

Thanks WW - much appreciated. I've picked up the ones I need now. Big thanks to lhg033 for the comparison chart also!

Do you airbrush to start, or go with Chaos Black -esque primer?

Thanks WW - much appreciated. I've picked up the ones I need now. Big thanks to lhg033 for the comparison chart also!

Do you airbrush to start, or go with Chaos Black -esque primer?

I prime the miniatures with Chaos Black spray first (or whatever the new equivalent is), then airbrush onto that.

The Tactical squad I posted earlier in the thread has been primed black than airbrushed in Dark Angels Green.

Cheers,

WW

Just an unrelated questions--- How do you update your topic title or sub-title? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Update the title or subtitle for the first post in the thread. That should do it.

Cheers,

WW

Yep, just do a full edit on the first post. By the way IMO this is the best DV conversion I have seen, magnificent!

Funny you should mention Vallejo paints, as this afternoon I tried Vallejo Model Air Olive Green in my airbrush on a couple of Tactical Marines. Unfortunately, the results were far to dark, almost being indistinguishable from black. In the end, I resuscitated an old pot of Dark Angels Green and used that, with great effects.

I've not used the Army Painter Angel Green spray, though I have used the brown primer in the past, with excellent results. I've sourced a local games shop that carries the Warpaints range, so will try and get up there over the weekend to pick up a can. I've got some spare AoBR Marines, as well as a pot of the Warpaints Angel green paint to have a go with, so will report back with results!

Thanks for the info - Locally here the only options are Citadel, Vallejo, and Testors paints, and Army Painter and Citadel sprays. As I don't have an airbrush [yet] I'm stuck with whatever I can buy or brush onto the models. The ease of being able to airbrush the exact color I want onto the guys is starting to wear down my resistance buying the whole setup, despite not really having the space for it in my 5th floor apartment... :D

Archived