Wraithwing's (new) Dark Angels

Wraithwing

Wraithwing:

Based on your wonderful company master, I'm looking forward to October's vow. Those are some great reds you've got; it's always a difficult color for me.

FC

I struggle also, but cheat with a very old pot of GW's Chestnut ink I've had for almost 15 years I reckon.

That really brings out the richness of the red, and shades it to boot.

Thanks for the positive comments! :D

Cheers,

WW

Got a little bit more done tonight, in between watching season 5 of Castle:

gallery_5348_1577_175605.jpg

And a sort of almost final shot of how my Marines will look:

gallery_5348_1577_80383.jpg

Not quite finished, still quite a bit of tidying to do, and the bolter isn't glued in yet.

I'm loving the coverage of the new reds. Currently using Wazdakka Red. It's a lovely paint, and I'm well impressed!

Cheers,

WW

This is great, I think your particular shade of green is among my favorites!

I think I'll start a small Dark Angels force after a very long time... You're really making me want to try green all over again... Or maybe I should go back to my DoCs... ;)

Well, my (first) October Vow is complete, and I've completed a combat squad of DV Tactical Marines below:

gallery_5348_1577_4534.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_170154.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_136566.jpg

I'm really happy with the way these guys have turned out, and consider them to be some of the best rank and file Dark Angels I've ever done (not trying to sound big-headed, just really proud of these guys!). The miniatures lend themselves so well to painting to be honest.

Still undecided as to what to do about Squad numbers. I've used a single '2' from the Marine transfer sheet, as it's mostly small enough to fit on the raised Tactical badge, as shown on the beaky marine. I need to get some microsol on it, as it sits slightly proud at the top.

Now to devote some thought to a second October vow. The rest of the squad, or something different? Maybe the DV Librarian? What do you all think?

@Zhent - I probably use a convoluted green recipe if I'm honest, but it works for me. Prime black, airbrush Dark Angels Green, wash in Badab Black/Nuln Oil, light/medium dry brush of Warpstone Glow, extreme edge highlight of Moot Green, two layers of Thrakka Green, final glaze of Waywatcher Green.

I could probably eliminate several steps, but I like the richness it gives the green.

Cheers,

WW

Here's what will probably be my second October Vow:

gallery_5348_1577_57313.jpg

Librarian Turmiel from Dark Vengeance. Really love this model, and am 'treating' myself by painting him. After he's done, it'll be the second half of the DV Tactical Squad.

I'm not submitting him as a vow yet, as I'm taking a little break from painting before I have a go. (Who am I kidding? I'll probably start him tonight...)

Cheers,

WW

So I've done a bit of work on Turmiel, and I need some feedback. This is where I'm at so far (pics are a bit rubbish):

gallery_5348_1577_2766.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_68806.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_4906.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_48147.jpg

Now, I'm not used to painting blue, having only ever painted greens, blacks and greys really. I wanted to achieve the same deep colour that my greens have, building from almost black-blue to a lighter blue on the extreme highlights. I think I had it when I washed all the highlights down with Asurmen Blue, but lost it when I applied a second coat. I've glazed the miniature with Guiliman Blue, in an attempt to enriched the colours, but it just looks to dark now.

I think I'm going to re-highlight the extreme edges in Calgar Blue again and then re-glaze him.

What do you think?

Cheers,

WW

So, I did another edge highlight on the Librarian, then glazed it with Guilliman Blue.

I'm much happier with it now, though may revisit it at some point:

gallery_5348_1577_114065.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_44482.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_16637.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_104641.jpg

Also, I've whipped up a slight kitbash of the DV Tactical Sergeant to lead an additional squad I plan on picking up:

gallery_5348_1577_2650.jpg

He looks reasonably different enough for me to be happy with. I love the torso and embossed shoulders, so wanted to use them again.

Cheers,

WW

Well, Librarian Turmiel is complete:

gallery_5348_1577_67839.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_96397.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_7167.jpg

gallery_5348_1577_34050.jpg

There's a couple of things I'm not to pleased with on this miniature. The banner isn't brilliant, and found it awkward to do because of the Force Sword being in the way. Also, I thought painting blue would be a nice break from green, but I'm dying to get back to green now!

Probably the second half of the DV Tactical Squad up next.

C&C is, as always, most welcome.

Cheers,

WW

What are you using to hold him while you paint? Is he attached to that thing or just resting on it?

It's an old Citadel paint pot. :)

You my friend, are on fire! the Libby looks rediclously awesome. nice blue, BTW

Thanks my friend, more to come hopefully!

Cheers,

WW

Next up, second half of the DV Tactical Squad, and a second Sergeant for an as yet unpurchased DV Tactical Squad:

gallery_5348_1577_88302.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to enter these as a Vow for October yet or not. Might save my vows for November.

Cheers,

WW

Your work on Turmiel in this thread has convinced me to make him the next model I paint up. Since I have more tactical marines than I ever want to paint, I have to gut through a squad in between characters or I'll never get them finished :)

Also, to add to the barrage of questions already asked: How do you build up that dirt color on your bases after spraying them black?

Your work on Turmiel in this thread has convinced me to make him the next model I paint up. Since I have more tactical marines than I ever want to paint, I have to gut through a squad in between characters or I'll never get them finished :devil:

Also, to add to the barrage of questions already asked: How do you build up that dirt color on your bases after spraying them black?

I feel the same way, need to take a break between batches of 'regular' marines, or I'll never do them.

The bases are quite straightforward:

Sand/grit mix glued to base

Miniature sprayed Black

Based painted Scorched Brown

Drybrushed Khemri Brown

Washed with Devlan Mud

Static Grass applied.

Simple as that really.

Cheers,

WW

Not really sure how I missed this thread before now.

Some really beautiful work here.

I love the conversion on the chapter master (must resist urge to copy!)

The speed and quality that you are putting these out puts me to shame, I really must try harder.

Looking forward to seeing that you do with the rest of your vows and the DV box set.

Not really sure how I missed this thread before now.

Some really beautiful work here.

I love the conversion on the chapter master (must resist urge to copy!)

The speed and quality that you are putting these out puts me to shame, I really must try harder.

Looking forward to seeing that you do with the rest of your vows and the DV box set.

Feel free to copy the conversion, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all!

Wish i left the bolters off when i painted the marines............ i love making things hard for myself. Love the mini's though mate, got any terminators coming? or vehicles for that matter?

I learned the hard way when it came to painting glued on bolters. Just make sure you leave some bare plastic showing on the pegs and holes, makes it easier to glue them on. After the Tactical Squad is done, I'll be doing Deathwing and Ravenwing. Trying hard to remember my Deathwing bone recipe, been so long since I painted some!

Thanks for the kind words though folks, much appreciated!

Cheers,

WW

Archived