Wraithwing's (new) Dark Angels

Wraithwing

I love the green on your models. When you dry brush warpstone green, is it over the whole armour or jut the edges for highlighting?

It's sort of a light dry brush across the whole miniature. Not too heavy, as it can look patchy, but enough to change the colour of the armour to a lighter green.

Then, the successive layers of washes tone it all down.

Cheers,

WW

I don't suppose you have the limited edition chaplain as well? I could use some pictures of him to copy :rolleyes:

I've experimented with zenithal lighting for my librarian, not sure how much I like it yet but we'll see.

I'm afraid my limited edition Chaplain got the chop and became my Company Master conversion at the start of the thread! ;)

You should post up a WIP thread Zhent, I'm sure we'd all love to see what you're working on, and be able to offer any helpful advise we may have.

Cheers,

WW

I'm afraid my limited edition Chaplain got the chop and became my Company Master conversion at the start of the thread! :P

You should post up a WIP thread Zhent, I'm sure we'd all love to see what you're working on, and be able to offer any helpful advise we may have.

Cheers,

WW

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=263471

I'm not promising anything spectacular, but suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

Here's a question, depending on what you use as a brush. I went out and bought one nice W&N Series 7 brush, as an experiment. However, after only using it a couple of hours, I find that hte bristles are not nearly as compact and the tip doesn't hold it's shape nearly as well as my other, cheap, purely synthetic brushes. However, it does maintain its water much better and I can see how it could be a better brush. Do you know if there is some sort of brush preparation I've neglected, or if I just picked a poor one from the store [likely] :)

I don't want to lose momentum on this WIP thread, or let it get stale, so its time for a quick update.

I've been making steady progress on the second half of the DV Tactical Squad, with a sneaky addition of another sergeant for my second Tactical Squad, which is on it's way to me. Here is how they look at the moment:

gallery_5348_1577_180201.jpg

After the Tactical marines are complete, I'll probably move onto these guys, though I haven't finished preparing and assembling them yet:

gallery_5348_1577_108679.jpg

The Deathwing will likely be my vow for November.

I've also been able to cobble together a Command Squad for my Company Master, using bits and bobs I've had lying round for years:

gallery_5348_1577_162363.jpg

The green armour on the Company Champion is a very old recipe using Dark Green Ink, so will need to update that, and finish assembling the other squad members.

Can't decide whether to include a special weapon in the Command Squad. I view them as a CMDS (Company Master Delivery System), so they might not need it. Any thoughts on ideal Command Squad composition?

C&C are, as always, much appreciated.

Cheers,

WW

Plasma would probably be the fluffiest option come new codex, given how much plasma there is in the DV tactical set already. A Flamer would be very useful as well, especially since this squad will almost always get close enough to use it.

Time for another update.

Second half of the DV Tactical Squad has been finished, with an additional Sergeant for Tactical Squad 2:

gallery_5348_1577_39829.jpg

Here's a shot of the completed 10 man Tactical Squad:

gallery_5348_1577_67445.jpg

And a (not very good) group shot of all the DV miniatures I've painted so far.

gallery_5348_1577_4016.jpg

Next up:

DEATHWING!

Cheers,

WW

Great stuff! Are you going to "break" the sword on the DW icon on the DW Sergeant? I don't know how many noticed it but his is the only one that isn't a broken sword.

Thanks for the positive comments folks!

I had noticed, but I assumed the rope was covering the break. I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.

One thing that is bothersome about the new DV Deathwing though; They make normal plastic terminators so bland by comparison! I loathe the thought of having so many duplicates if I want multiple squads, but also hate the idea of using boring old codex terminator miniatures also!

Cheers,

WW

Great stuff! Are you going to "break" the sword on the DW icon on the DW Sergeant? I don't know how many noticed it but his is the only one that isn't a broken sword.

Thanks for the positive comments folks!

I had noticed, but I assumed the rope was covering the break. I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.

One thing that is bothersome about the new DV Deathwing though; They make normal plastic terminators so bland by comparison! I loathe the thought of having so many duplicates if I want multiple squads, but also hate the idea of using boring old codex terminator miniatures also!

Cheers,

WW

I'm picking up up what your putting down. I feel the same way. I am trying to get a flow of different TDAs now so I don't have a bunch of normal TDA. I need to pick up some Tartaros TDAs.

Man... you are redonkulous... I love your work... Every time I check this thread I just want to rush home and get stuck into my DV set.

Any chance of some tutorials from you in the future? Conversions, GS, painting bone, dry brushing... Just copy your brain waves and upload them to me. :)

Wraithwing your marines are awesome sauce. Great to see real effort being put into their banners too – particularly the Librarian's. Great work. Honestly, you're green marines are inspiring me to finish off some very old Tac marines who have been long since retired.

Cheers

I

Have you thought of converting regular terminators using bits from the Dark Angels conversion/veteran kit? I've added some forge world shoulder pads and a few bits to change them.

I have, and I will probably do this if I go for a Deathwing Command Squad.

I've done it in the past, but without FW stuff, but I want the DA transfer sheet, so will probably order DW shoulder pads while I'm at it.

Still trying to decide whether to build a force from our current dex or wait until March/April for the new one!

Just a little teaser WIP for you all:

gallery_5348_1577_93067.jpg

Painting this guy to test out my scheme and the new GW paints I'm using. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

More layers to do before the armour is done, then the rest of the squad for my November vow.

Cheers,

WW

Archived