Librarian with power armour

Kua

A TDA with SS makes the weapon choice quite easy. You are well protected and can take whatever makes most damage with disregard on ini.

But what if you are not?

The Dark Vengeance librarian model made me think about which weapon to build for him. Sword or staff?

[http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=257518]This thread[/url] mentions the libby setup at some points but nothing conclusive for one with PA. My first thought went towards staff because it’s more universal and the better chance to wound compensates the enemy’s eventual armour save at least partly. But as one can read in this thread the maul/staff is not in every case a better choice.

Again, it will depend on the rest of the unit, so how would you use such a libby anyway?

My power armor epistolary runs in various squads but there is always a techmarine at his side to make look out sir saves. That's only one of the many reasons why I take techmarines. I always take a sword on my librarian as it is more flexible in its uses.

My PA Libby normally runs with my Sternguard. There he can offer some psychic expertise through using Avenger to bolster their firepower or by using Gate to move them about. And then of course there's the BGB powers.

As for weapon. He runs with a force sword, because that's how I made the model. Tactically though, I like the force sword as it can easily dispatch of power armour, which is very prevalent. The staff is probably a better all rounder due to its high strength, but then it can struggle against PA. I'd say it depends on your area and what other characters will be accompanying him.

• 2 weeks later...
A TDA with SS makes the weapon choice quite easy. You are well protected and can take whatever makes most damage with disregard on ini.

But what if you are not?

....then who was phone? ;)

Yeah, TDA+storm shield+force axe works, power armor doesn't. GW make pretty models, they don't actually read their own rules.

My power armor epistolary runs in various squads but there is always a techmarine at his side to make look out sir saves. That's only one of the many reasons why I take techmarines. I always take a sword on my librarian as it is more flexible in its uses.

Que? You burn an Elite slot, when you could just pay 10pts less and get 2+/3+ all day everyday (and the ability to teleport in with Terminators)? 'Look Out Sir' is nice but anyone can be the bullet catcher (a Terminator squaddie for example, or a Sternguard dude). 'Bolster Defences' isn't worth that much. You're only I4, force axe is not that much of a nerf (same as Sergeants trading their I4 for powerfists).

Que? You burn an Elite slot, when you could just pay 10pts less and get 2+/3+ all day everyday

Please refer to-

That's only one of the many reasons why I take techmarines

But I guess i'll have to elaborate. The techmarine gives me-

Bolster defenses provides better cover for my sniper scouts

Gives me two power fist attacks, flamer, and plasma pistol in any squad he joins

Soaks AP 3 wounds like a boss

Its fluffy for me

AND he provides a good body guard for my epistolary

That's why I take a techmarine.

It's a novel idea. Not sure on it, but the idea is growing on me, particularly if said Techmarine is cheap i.e. Doesn't have a Servo Harness.

Though, myself I can't imagine ever having the points spare as I always want something else!

Archived