Whirlwind Hyperios

Res Ipsa Loquitur

I've been thinking about how to get some AA into my Crusade when I happened upon the Whirlwind Hyperios. Like any good denizen of the 'net I then immediately took to the tubes to see what my fellow nerds in power armour are saying about it before investing cash into it.

Lo and behold I find that it has garnered nary a mention anywhere. Why? I see a 48" S8 AP3 with Skyfire and Interceptor for 115pts. What am I missing?

I've been thinking about how to get some AA into my Crusade when I happened upon the Whirlwind Hyperios. Like any good denizen of the 'net I then immediately took to the tubes to see what my fellow nerds in power armour are saying about it before investing cash into it.

Lo and behold I find that it has garnered nary a mention anywhere. Why? I see a 48" S8 AP3 with Skyfire and Interceptor for 115pts. What am I missing?

Also maybe because it is FW... Some people fail to recognize FW stuff as a legit part of the game. Only mentioning stuff when it is what they call OP. Also it isn't that great except for the fact it has the AA ability, if you face a lot of flyers then yeah sure, if not you are probably better spending those points elsewhere.

Its a decent option. The automated Hyperios turrets are also worthwhile, and only 35 each (if i remember correctly).

Yeah, they are pretty tasty.

I'm still leaning towards the Whirlwind though, mainly because a complete kit from Forge World (including shipping) is nearly $20 (ca. £14, I think) cheaper than a regular Whirlwind from my local, Canadian GW and I can, with judicious use of magnets, use it as a Rhino if needs be too.

Yes but still only AA.

If your opponent has no flyers you just wasted 100+ pts on a tank that can do nothing.

If you have a Storm Talon, it is both a flyer and can hassle ground units

Don't like the model thou

DM

I don't see how you're getting that it can only do surface-to-air. Both Skyfire and Interceptor rules mention that if you have both you can use full BS on any targets.

True, if your opponent has no Flyers you've spent 115pts on an AV11 Krak Missile Launcher but everyone takes Flyers around here anyway and I'm pretty sure that eventually Flyers will become as ubiquitous in 6th as the Razorback was in 5th.

Also, Templars (such as mine) can't take a Storm Talon anyway.

Yes but still only AA.

If your opponent has no flyers you just wasted 100+ pts on a tank that can do nothing.

If you have a Storm Talon, it is both a flyer and can hassle ground units

Don't like the model thou

DM

Again, it has both Skyfire and Interceptor - it CAN shoot at ground targets at full BS as a twin-linked 48" / S8 / AP3 missile launcher.

@RIL - I like the Hyperios. I've been fielding it since 6th Ed hit. The only downside I've encountered is when your opponent fields multiple Flyers (as IG ar want to do). Then one WH isn't sufficient, but it's all I'm willing to spend the HS slots on. I would avoid the Hyperios battery, as its special rules mean it will only fire in its own shooting phase (no Interceptor shot) and will never shoot at ground targets (often interpreted to include Skimmers), plus the BS2 kind of hurts.

i'd go for the whirlwind too as you can use it as a standard whirlwind or hyperios and as you say, a rhino (or razorback if you have spares/buy a turret)

any idea - does the landraider helios have anti air rules? latest update on the FW website doesnt include anything to this effect and my IA2 is buried in storage to know if the weapon rules for the helios have something specific. i'd be tempted to get the conversion kit for this to do an easy swap out with one of my landraiders

Yep it does, check out IA Aeronautica, 280 pts, skyfire, intercepto, heat seeker(TL)

Great option if you ask me, no one is ofc :D

Yep it does, check out IA Aeronautica, 280 pts, skyfire, interceptor, heat seeker(TL)

Great option if you ask me, no one is ofc ;)

I must have meant it, it came out twice ;)

Yep it does, check out IA Aeronautica, 280 pts, skyfire, intercepto, heat seeker(TL)

Great option if you ask me, no one is ofc :D

Yep it does, check out IA Aeronautica, 280 pts, skyfire, interceptor, heat seeker(TL)

Great option if you ask me, no one is ofc ;)

I must have meant it, it came out twice ;)

Weird. The FW Vehicle update doesn't include any of those rules, just Assault Vehicle and PotMS.

The entry for the Land Raider Helios in Imperial Armour 10 allowed it to take a Hyperios launcher, the write-up for which explicitly stated that it could not be fired at ground targets - I'm guessing that's where people are getting it from, glad to see they ditched that with Aeronautica.

I LOVE the Hyperios battery. First, it's a Fast Attack choice. FA!!! It's only BS3, but with twin-linked for ground targets and heat-seeker for air targets, it'll be sure to hit stuff. At only 35 a piece, they are a mega steal. I'd simply take my whirlwind turrets and stick them on the aegis weapon platforms, easy and done! They blew apart a Tervigon once pretty easily. and, with the option for Split Fire upgrade...it just keeps getting better.

@dswanick: The IA:Aa update makes them awesome. Upped BS, plus twin-linked, skyfire, interceptor, and heat seeker.

The Helios looks fun. Lascannons against enemy armor, machine spirit the missiles at flyers. Haven't tried it, but maybe I will next time.

The Whirlwind Hyperios is also only 95 points, not 115...so awesome!

I LOVE the Hyperios battery. First, it's a Fast Attack choice. FA!!! It's only BS3, but with twin-linked for ground targets and heat-seeker for air targets, it'll be sure to hit stuff. At only 35 a piece, they are a mega steal. I'd simply take my whirlwind turrets and stick them on the aegis weapon platforms, easy and done! They blew apart a Tervigon once pretty easily. and, with the option for Split Fire upgrade...it just keeps getting better.

@dswanick: The IA:Aa update makes them awesome. Upped BS, plus twin-linked, skyfire, interceptor, and heat seeker.

The Helios looks fun. Lascannons against enemy armor, machine spirit the missiles at flyers. Haven't tried it, but maybe I will next time.

The Whirlwind Hyperios is also only 95 points, not 115...so awesome!

I haven't gotten IA:AA yet, is that where the Hyperios battery is FA? Because in the IA books I have its Heavy Support. Also, is the Whirlwind Hyperios in IA:AA because in my other books it's 115pts. If they've changed that much I may push to get my IA:AA before christmas...

I'm getting my own copy if IA-Aero in the mail in a few days, and once I have it, will be looking to add a Hyperios kit for the Whirlwind, and maybe a Hyperios battery (controller plus 2-3 launchers) to the armory of 3rd Company. Anything with sky-fire and interceptor is important to your game....

The Hyperios battery does indeed sound great, but I've read that it's dependent on a controller....so if a keen opponent takes that one unit out, the rest of your investment just went up in smoke. Have you found this to be a problem, Seahawk?

I was reluctant to get IA:Aa, but it sounds like there are a lot of updated rules so....wallet, get ready for some pain!

The Hyperios battery does indeed sound great, but I've read that it's dependent on a controller....so if a keen opponent takes that one unit out, the rest of your investment just went up in smoke. Have you found this to be a problem, Seahawk?

I was reluctant to get IA:Aa, but it sounds like there are a lot of updated rules so....wallet, get ready for some pain!

I am 90% sure it was updated to NOT be that way in the new book. The controller now simply allows the battery to split fire. Without it, all the launchers fire at a single target.

The WWH is still an AV11 hull. Its just not that good for the points.

Consider a predator AC/LC is not that much more points... and if you have divination, just as good at killing A/C

WWH is to specialized and fragile. Fluffy. In epic a platoon of them makes a great deal of sense. But not on a tactical battlefield.

Archived