Whirlwind Hyperios

Res Ipsa Loquitur

It's a lot more points when you take the babysitter Librarian into account, plus takes two FOC slots. And not anywhere near as effective when you don't have access to filthy witches.

Not to mention the fact that that extra-point Librarian is only available to Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. He also adds addition dice rolls that can fry his little brain, and is subject to Runes of Warding and Shadow in the Warp.

Too many moving parts for such a simple mission.

If you're using FW rules, why not ally in some of the new Sabre/Heavy Artillery batteries?

Don't those require the puchase and fielding of an entire Infantry Platoon though? They replace Heavy Weapons Squads, right? So you have to buy the IG HQ, a PCS, two Infantry Squads, and then Heavy Weapons Squads?

I've been thinking about how to get some AA into my Crusade when I happened upon the Whirlwind Hyperios. Like any good denizen of the 'net I then immediately took to the tubes to see what my fellow nerds in power armour are saying about it before investing cash into it.

Lo and behold I find that it has garnered nary a mention anywhere. Why? I see a 48" S8 AP3 with Skyfire and Interceptor for 115pts. What am I missing?

Its forgeworld.

Most places wont let you use forgeworld. If they do it requires a second, more expensive book for that unit. Could be a darn good investment- if you can use it.

By all means, fire away if your local group is ok with it.

If you're using FW rules, why not ally in some of the new Sabre/Heavy Artillery batteries?

Mainly because I've not heard of them before, lol. Are they in IA:Aeronautica?

I havent gotten a copy yet- moneys tight- but based on the table of contents on the FW website, they are indeed. So are the most recent rules for the hyperios- the ones you need to play it. 'nother problem with FW is they tend to splash the same unit over multiple books, leaving one to have to be quite careful. Though atleast it gets it updated.

It's a lot more points when you take the babysitter Librarian into account, plus takes two FOC slots. And not anywhere near as effective when you don't have access to filthy witches.

And not as cost-effective even when you do have access to Psykers :

Predator (TLAC & LC) + Psyker (100pt) = 220pts, avg.1.22 hits/shooting, avg.0.61 hull points/shooting, cost/hull pt @ shooting phase = 360

Whirlwind = 115pts, avg.0.89 hits/shooting, avg.0.44 hull pts/shooting, cost/hull pt @ shooting phase = 259

Plus, without Interceptor, the Predator/Psyker combo doesn't get the shooting in your opponent's Movement phase when the Flyer enters from Reserves. Giving you the potential to down a Flyer before it can shoot in its own shooting phase.

For cheapness the DA Mortis Dreadnought has skyfire and interceptor.

That has worked its way into pretty much every list I have have now that the LGS allows FW...

Which is great, only so long as you're fielding DA or DA Allies...

@dswanick & Grey Mage: Yes, they are in IA:Aa and the rules I presented are the most up to date, making them AMAZING.

You can get up to 4 platforms per slot, and upgrade one to a dish. This gives you split fire. Otherwise they are Automated Artillery, which just means they are artillery without crewmen (can choose target, etc etc).

As for the Sabres...well, I suppose two twin-linked heavy stubbers would be neat? But if you're going IG then just get the Hydra platform (50pts, gets Intercepter/Skyfire), Manticore platform (4 rockets, S9 AP2 heatseeker), or so on.

I can't decide which is better: 4x Hyperios missile platforms, or 3x missile platforms plus the split fire dish. Is the additional points cost and the loss of a twin linked missile shot worth gaining split fire?

Thatll depend entirely on your opponent and how many/what type of flyers hes sending your way.

• 2 weeks later...
The reason no one takes Whirlwind Hyperios is because we get Rapier platforms either in-faction or with IG Allies. They're cheaper, they bring more dakka, and they're self-sufficient (they use the new artillery rules, yay T7). Dirt-cheap too. Between that and Aegis line, Hyperios just doesn't matter.

Archived