Bikes, Turbo-Boost, new rules, and new tactics ?

narf

Hi folks

Quick thought, i'm running a 10 man swiftclaw biker unit

Bikes now can move during the movement phase, and can also move during the shooting phase, "turbo boost"

Also the members of a unit that move, are the only ones that count as moving (page 10)

Does this mean that I can move the entire unit 12" in its movement phase, then move say 4 of the unit again in the shooting phase, staying in coherency.

Would this mean that the unit now has a mixed invulnerable save due to "jink" and the ones that didn't turbo boost, also get to shoot? I cant find anything anywhere to say the whole unit has to turbo boost.

This seems like a good way of leap frogging a unit whilst providing a better save for incoming high AP fire.

would this be a viable tactic? or pointless?

It'd seem so. Since you can do the "spread out the tactical unit" dance with normal infantry and still fire heavies at full BS, I do not see why not the bikes all the same. And with the hit allocation to forward models, the better jinking ones would get better saves.

GW have already thought of this. From page 14, Run:

In their Shooting phase, units may choose to Run instead of firing.

And on page 45, Bikes and Jetbikes Turbo-Boost section:

Bikes and Jetbikes cannot Run, but can make a special Turbo-boost move, instead of firing in their Shooting phase.

So just because you didn't move a model in a unit when running or turbo-boosting doesn't mean you can shoot with that model, the entire unit cannot shoot.

But with Jink, interestingly, it's only the models that make the turbo-boost movement, so you could (provided you keep in coherency) have the front 4 models with a higher Jink save than the back 4.

interesting so the movement, and implications can make the unit a mixed cover save unit, but you might as well just move them all.

However, and this may be easter egg hunting 6+ months early, the 2 parts you quoted, for models that run it quotes units, whilst for bikes and jet bikes its singular, rather than unit.

probably just bad writing...

interesting so the movement, and implications can make the unit a mixed cover save unit, but you might as well just move them all.

However, and this may be easter egg hunting 6+ months early, the 2 parts you quoted, for models that run it quotes units, whilst for bikes and jet bikes its singular, rather than unit.

probably just bad writing...

In this quote and context, "Bikes and Jetbikes" refers to unit types, not individual models.

Archived