Drop pods

Drahazar

Also do the Chaplin on bike and Libby on bike not benefit fromthe out flank ability of the ravenwing?

No at present no as they are not regarded as RW characters but normal Chaplains and Librarians on normal bikes.

So in the BRB FAQ drop pods do not count when it comes to the 50% rule for reserves how can we take advantage of this?

I don't think we can take advantage of it as well when compared to Marine armies with Drop Pod Assault. You could use it in conjunction with deep striking DW to support them with some shooty marine units from turn 2 on. So if you have Belial + 3x DW and 2x Marines you can reserve 3 units. Now with the pods, you can get those marines reserved as well. But remember in 6th. you can't do a null deployment, so regardless you need to put something on the table at first.

But remember in 6th. you can't do a null deployment, so regardless you need to put something on the table at first.

You can do a null deployment. You just have to have models on the table by the end of the game turn. So terminators deploying via DWA turn one would help with that. Since I believe we still follow the super old drop pod rules and don't deploy half of them on the first turn.

But only having a few terminators on the board, even with TH/SS, would be super risky and probably not worth it. Your opponent is going to have so much more stuff on the board he will probably table you. But I did love the look on my opponents face when I gave them first go and then tell them all my stuff is in reserve and they just basically wasted their first and second turns was priceless. Though I'm afraid 6th made those days over, which is probably good for me since I didn't do as well as I would of liked with those lists.

So onto Drahazar's question. I don't believe anyone can really take advantage of these rules. By putting more than a few units in reserve you are causing your opponent to have more units on the table than you, making it easier for him to table you and to respond to your reserves. Even though it seems good on paper, I don't think it really works in practice.

You can do a null deployment. You just have to have models on the table by the end of the game turn. So terminators deploying via DWA turn one would help with that. Since I believe we still follow the super old drop pod rules and don't deploy half of them on the first turn.

Oopsie, thats correct, "game turn". My bad. But yea, probably not a great idea.

I thought we could with the chaplin and Libby by the USR rules for scout. A unit containing at least one model with this special rule can choose to redeploy and units with scout can confer it to a transport

On the USR scout - Rules for ICs specifically says that they do not confer special rules to a unit and vis versa (unless otherwise stated).

I thought we could with the chaplin and Libby by the USR rules for scout. A unit containing at least one model with this special rule can choose to redeploy and units with scout can confer it to a transport

Rereading the Scout rule, yes you're quite right :o. As long as one model in the unit has Scout, then all can use it.

I don't see how this would trump the IC rule - they are technically both USRs and the Special Rule for ICs says that units they join can not confer their own special rules to them. Isn't that how it's always been?

I think the "A unit containing at least one model with this special rule..." may be there for cases were certain characters could add "scout" to a unit without it. I'd say it doesn't apply to outflank either, which doesn't even mention the "a unit containing at least one..." reference.

I don't see how this would trump the IC rule - they are technically both USRs and the Special Rule for ICs says that units they join can not confer their own special rules to them. Isn't that how it's always been?

I think the "A unit containing at least one model with this special rule..." may be there for cases were certain characters could add "scout" to a unit without it. I'd say it doesn't apply to outflank either, which doesn't even mention the "a unit containing at least one..." reference.

Yes I think that was how it always was, but, the actual wording in the BGB p41 regarding ICs and special rules is:

"Unless specified in the rule itself (as in the Stubborn special rule), [...]"

Now go and read the Stubborn special rule -- it's worded in exactly the same way as Scout:

"When a unit that contains at least one model [...]" Stubborn

"[...] a unit containing at least one model [...]" Scout

Seems to me therefore that Scout is indeed a rule that confers to attached ICs who don't have it.

Yes I think that was how it always was, but, the actual wording in the BGB p41 regarding ICs and special rules is:

"Unless specified in the rule itself (as in the Stubborn special rule), [...]"

Now go and read the Stubborn special rule -- it's worded in exactly the same way as Scout:

"When a unit that contains at least one model [...]" Stubborn

"[...] a unit containing at least one model [...]" Scout

Seems to me therefore that Scout is indeed a rule that confers to attached ICs who don't have it.

And Outflank has the same phrasing, so yes you can attach an independent character to a Ravenwing attack squadron and have them outflank together. I don't see any need for them to have a bike either, it's just useful if they do. At 50pts a pop and no first turn arrival I don't think many (and certainly not all) drop pods is something we can make good use of.

What, am I the only Dark Angel player who immediately looked up fearless, scout, outflank, reserves, deep strike, bikes and relentless on getting the new rulebook?

What, am I the only Dark Angel player who immediately looked up fearless, scout, outflank, reserves, deep strike, bikes and relentless on getting the new rulebook?

Probably, yes :lol:.

Oh my, it does! Well that's nice.

Skimming Outflank I also missed it there, right in the first sentence.

My apologies in my over zealousness to think things haven't changed since 5th. I'm a failure. :tu:

My apologies in my over zealousness to think things haven't changed since 5th. I'm a failure. :tu:

And me... off to Chamber 42 for some serious 'realignment' I think :lol:

So in the BRB FAQ drop pods do not count when it comes to the 50% rule for reserves how can we take advantage of this?

So far, the only use I have seen that off sets the 50 pt tax is the 'gotcha' moment you have when your opponent, having gone first, turns and asks you to do your drop pod assault. It can be a real game changer when they realize that they castled their forces or reserved things they did not need to reserve just to protect against a single drop pod that cannot even come in until turn 2.

Of course, this only works once.

Other than that, the best use I have seen has been to give a drop pod to a command squad maxed out with plasma and an apothecary. It's an expensive unit almost surely destined for suicide but it's a rough counter to any terminators or MC's walking around the field.

I have not yet seen any benefit to fielding more than a single drop pod for DA. They are just too expensive.

Archived