Tactical Terminators, which army would be the better choice?

skrikspya

So, I was having a discussion with a few friends in our gaming circle about what to do with my 15 tactical terminators. I usually play a BA armoured company or foot wolves so they are not used regularly. I really do love my termies and thought about including 10 or so in a 1750/1850 list with my BA (most likely).

But what would be the better choice? I see 3 different choices I could go with. I would not show them in a raider though, they are on foot or DSing.

1. Paint them BA, add priest in TDA for extra protection

2. Ally in C:SM and teleport with a libby

3. Ally in Belial to make them scoring

All have their merits and I have extra bits to kit them well with iconography etc so anything could go :(

Thoughts?

I would say option 3. Scoring terminators are a huge asset with the new edition buffs to terminators, particularly if you can mix them into lists with larger amounts of bodies. In addition Dark Angel Terminators can be geared as "tactical" or "assault" while retaining heavy weapons and increasing survivability (inclusion of Storm Shields).

The best tactical terminators are actually the Black Templar, the only dex that allows 2 heavy weapons in a five man Terminator squad and allows you to take a veteran skill (tank hunters, furious charge)

Did in late-5th a tournament where my team mate was BAs, I was Ultras. We wrecked everyone. He used BA assault terminators with a BA chaplain, delivered via a landraider. I applied low-AP firepower and null zone and grabbed objectives. We saw how great it operated when we ent up against a game with temed Dark Angels Deathwing and Grey Knights. Our force just melted them away...

Tactical terminators are great now in 6th, best to have them in a FNP bubble, just because of the preponderance of plasma guns, and BAs give them that the best and easiest.

I've dabbled in tactical term squads with a Heavy Flamer, since their primary purpose remains to assault something rather than play anti-tank gun (cyclones or assault gun). Because you cannot come from reserves and still assault, having shooting weapons is pretty important now. If you don't have the FNP bubble, then larger squads are warranted (7+) to guarantee surviving and accomplishing the mission.

Option 3, but paint them red still. That's what I'm doing with my Terminator armies, keeping them in my Chapter's colours but allying in some Terminators from C:DA with Belial. It works well in giving you some durable scoring units with great utility.

• 2 weeks later...
slight problem, belial only make deathwing terminators scoring, which means that, at most, only 2 terminator squads would be scoring units, and those are 5 man squads from deathwint. if you have 2 allied detachments, which would really cost you, you could have 4, but might not be worth it, depending on points level

Taking them in the main force can give you 6 squads, and cheaper Typhoons. I find the support you'd take from Marines would fit in the Allied force organisation chart.

Taking them in the main force can give you 6 squads, and cheaper Typhoons. I find the support you'd take from Marines would fit in the Allied force organisation chart.

With Belial, Darkwing Terminators MAY be taken as troops so you could field 6 troops and 3 elites in a single, primary detachment. But then at 8 squads + Belial you are past the 2000 point threshold anyway ... so go ahead and stretch that on out to 18 squads of Deathwing terminators possible (in a 4850 point list :o)

I was talking scoring wise, in reply to coxey's point about the amount of scoring Terminators you can take with Belial. I'm well aware of the fact you can take them in both Elites and Troops, but I omitted that as it wasn't relevant. ;)

Archived