What's more Useful on Tac. Sgt.? Combi-melta or meltabombs

corlinjewell

So, I created a list a little while ago and came down to some number crunching involving the last ten points (1000 pt total). I have two Tac. squads tooled up as follows:

-Tac Squad

-flamer

-ML

-combi-flamer

-RHINO

Tac. Squad

-Meltagun

-ML

-RHINO

My question is whether or not I should give the 2nd Tac. Squad a combi-melta or should I give both sergeants meltabombs. Which would get me the best bang for my buck?

Meltabombs and combimeltas are of identical effectiveness against tanks. Both hit on a 3+ in their respective phases, and have identical S and AP values, plus the Melta rule. They're a wash in raw stats.

Firing the combi allows the target a cover save, if they have one. Meltabombs do not.

The combi can be used against non-tank models and can cause instant death versus T4 or less. Meltabombs can only be used against monstrous creatures.

If you're in melta range of a shooting target, you're likely also in range for a charge.

Another factor you should consider is that if you add meltabombs to each unit, both will have SOME ability against heavy armor and monstrous creatures. If you take the combimelta, only one squad has tools against heavy armor. That choice comes down to how you play. Some folks like the versatility, others prefer specialization.

It's important to note that if you want to charge the tank with melta bombs you would only be able to fire pistols against the vehicle, which would only help against rear armor, or if it's made of paper. But the Melta bombs can also be used as many times as you want, so it's a matter of, how many times do you want to be able to use it?

It's important to note that if you want to charge the tank with melta bombs you would only be able to fire pistols against the vehicle, which would only help against rear armor, or if it's made of paper. But the Melta bombs can also be used as many times as you want, so it's a matter of, how many times do you want to be able to use it?

He does have that meltagun on the second squad. I do agree that you wouldn't be firing much at the tank pre-charge, but what Tac Squad ever does that isn't armed with a meltagun? You also have krak grenades on every Marine to lead in for the I1 meltabomb.

/shrug

I still prefer the combi-melta for the reliability it gives the meltagun in that one turn. I'd much rather stay at range (even if it's only 6") and shoot a Land Raider then charge in there and perhaps compromise my squad (they could be in cover when shooting the meltagun).

It's a tough choice with the new rules, but I'd still say combi-melta.

Archived