Advice vs wraithguard and wraithlord heavy eldar army

Wilzilla

Hi B&C. I'm playing against an Eldar army tomorrow and I know that he is fielding Eldrad, an Avatar, at least a 10 man wraithguard unit and 2 wraithlords. Its at 1500pts and Im just looking for some basic tactics to try to apply against this type of army. Most Eldar armies ive fought in the past have been in 5th ed with Biking seer councils and the such, so Im not familiar with these particular xenos.

My army list can't be changed as its part of a league, so Im just looking for tips to cause and avoid damage. My list includes a termi libby, 5 th/ss termies in a raider, a combi-pred, vindi, 5 scouts, 2 tac squads in rhinos, and a stormtalon with tml.

Thanks in advance guys.

Keep your distance and use your high strength weaponry to your advantage. Draw them out into the open via objective placement, then bomb them with plasma, missiles, and lascannons to pick them off one by one. They have no invulnerable saves to worry about either. Assault should be held off on until the Wraithguard are weak enough to not destroy your LR, as I'm assuming that will count against you in this league.

This is probably one of the easier fights you'll face against an eldar player.

The Wraithgaurd are scoring, and nearly impossible to kill if hes doing it right- Conceal and a reroll makes them most beastly than termnators against most things. Ignore them, stay away from them, whatever you do do not drop small terminator squads next to them.

Termies are good vs wraithlords though... if you can get a good charge in on them, do it. Though theyll likely flank the wraithgaurd, so again... avoid.

Kill his other scoring units, play the objectives. Take down the Avatar with small arms fire and consider shelling the wraiths from maximum, or near maximum, range with the vindicator and hope hes not lucky.

I recognize this music -- all the rage over at Warseer right after 6th dropped. The issue is not just the hardness of the Wraithguard, though (and they are fairly tough even without Fortuned saves. In 5th, the way to never worry about WG was to lock them in assault; you won't kill 'em all, but they weren't exactly butchers, either. But now, with Forboding from Eldrad, they'll hit on BS when Overwatch with weapons that will eat you alive. So I want to reinforce a prior comment about avoiding them. Their guns are only 12" range, so stand off and hammer them with your high-power guns while the rest of your army butchers his ancillary elements.

As for the Wraithlords, hitting them with your Hammernators isn't a bad idea; you'll need 4+ to wound 'em, but he'll have no saves, and not enough attacks to reliable push mass casualties through your storm shields. This is actually kind of an important point, I feel, since you'll need your AT guns to shorten the shrift of the 'guard rather than trying to down the 'lords.

Timing the delivery of the Hammernators, I think, is going to be the key here, regardless of what unit you send them into. Exercise tactical patience, maintain stand-off, and as Captain Jack Sparrow once said -- wait for the opportune moment. Then crush the filthy xeno.

Thanks for the advice guys. The game went great in my favor. I was able to cause some heavy casualties to the wraith guard with 2 vindicator shells before moving the raider in range and delivering the terminators in for the killing blow. The rest of his troop count was fairly small and I was able to combine fire with my tactical marines to take them out and prevent him from having any scoring units left on the board. After softening up the warlocks around Eldrad, I landed a vindicator shell on top of him, and a failed re-roll-able save caused his demise. My Predator and Sniper scouts were able to take out the wraith lords before they caused any real trouble for me. My opponent was forced to throw in the towel giving me a solid victory with the majority of my army still intact.

Thanks again for the great advice Brothers. A victory for the Imperial Fists and glory to the Emperor!

Why do Eldar players do that? At a tournament no less. It's like they want to lose. 'Hey GW, look how terrible our power build is! Please please update us!'.

Frankly, I play it because I've always loved the Wraithguard models. I, and pretty much every Eldar player, wish they had termi-level saves, but you play the hand you're dealt. Nothing better than the implacable warrior spirits of your fallen brethren taking vengeance on your foes... :)

Archived