P1040382.JPG

P1040384.JPG

P1040387.JPG

P1040390.JPG

P1040392.JPG

P1040393.JPG

P1040395.JPG

About the 8th Assault Company of the Iron Warriors Legion

These first few squads can be considered, to all intents and purposes, pre-heresy assault squads of the Iron Warriors. They were part of an Assault Company, which was part of a Grand Company, forming a small fragment of the crusade of Primarch Perturabo.

Through a long story of defiance and doubt during the Horus Heresy, they fled their Legion as loyalists, and fled the Imperium branded as traitors, holding true only to the Emperor's original design - and lost in the Warp.

What remained of the original company, sailing the endless tides aboard their strike cruiser, encountered a small detachement of the Alpha Legion, veterans of the Nurthene Campaign and seemingly loyal to the Emperor. These secretive but willing soliders now provide heavy weapons support to the iron angels soaring above them, completing the remnants of a company to an able fighting force.

And last of all came their oldest nightmare, to face the bitter warriors who were once their Legion brothers. Finding the dreadful truth of their worst suspicions, but finding an unlikely alliance in a hellish battlefield, they fled the war with a ragged band of living dead, once proud legionaires of the Iron Warriors, now struck with guilt and bitter to the core, wishing nothing else but to die in the Emperor's service.

So was forged the brotherhood of Astartes, fighting for a cause dead for ten thousand years.

About the small plastic things on my table

I will not be able to live up to the standard of the pre-heresy armies on display here. The cause is that i am building mine with virtually no money, buying second-hand pieces and spare parts on a local forum, sculpting the things I lack out of green stuff. Seeing the vast armies of Forge World minis might make me envious, but I wouldn't spend that much money on Warhammer even if I had. So I will not produce anything the like.

I think, however, that some might still be interested in what I do, and I am definitely interested in your opinions.

So, the beginning of the first squad. Almost 3 complete assault marines, and a sergeant with Power Fist and Storm Shield. Another marine soon, and then an Apothecary, and first squad is done.

Second squad will follow, 5 assault marines + the commander. Then the Alpha Legion tactical/devestator squad, and after that, the Lost Brothers of the company of redeeming chaos marines.

I will play them with the Blood Angels codex, if I ever get that far, though not as if it were a very important aim of this project.

I have a huge amount of detail to the story, but it is still far from finished, and I'm not sure if anyone is interested at all. Painting will come later, now I enjoy converting truescale marines well enough. And I'm not a painter of any quality, it may well just ruin them...

So, impressions, opinions, suggestions? Questions?

As I am Hungarian, comments on my grammar are just as warmly recieved as those about the developing story, or the little plastic guys.

Regards, a.

Wow, awesome work, love the feel of them. Your fluff is fantastic, great idea. Will you post some more specific and developed fluff later? I for one would love to see it. Very curious to see what these 'Lost Brothers' look like. I'm sure that your force will be just as good if not better than the Forge World ones, true scale is awesome.

Oh and your English is great :lol:

Thank you.

Looks great but my only thing is what is with the little wings on the champions jump pack?

I suppose it is decoration. You may see something like this on Corax's jump pack on the cover of Deliverence Lost. The sanguinary guard's wings are also artificial (though not sure if functional - mine is just ornamental).

Will you post some more specific and developed fluff later?

Yes, if you wish, though i am yet to write it. No promises as to when will it be ready.

Very curious to see what these 'Lost Brothers' look like.

Me too. In fact, that is one of my oldest concepts, and the most interesting part of the army. The idea came from the Death Company of the Blood Angels, and how I would represent them in my army. I will get to them in time.

The new Legion badges, just completed:

P1040400.JPG

banner.JPG

The company banner. From before the Heresy, but they kept it through the years. The helm is gold on a black or dark grey coat, and the star-like halo is reddish bronze. I haven't sculpted it on a model so far.

and now I give you... the Master of Mankind

...on a jump pack

emperor.JPG

While I'm waiting for resources for the next few models, I'm trying to go on with the jump packs. I convert them from regular SM jump packs, which I still have a small supply of. I don't recommend it to anyone, a long and boring process. Buy the Forge World ones!

This one will be that of my commander, the company captain or whatever. (Iron Warriors players seem to be fond of giving the title 'warsmith' to anyone. He is certainly not one.) These are the steps of the making. Between each step I let the GS dry. It can't be done otherwise. The other jump packs are made more or less the same way, except for the sculpting on the back. Which was the only fun part in all of it. It is based on the 5th edition rulebook's cover.

wip.JPG

How did you go about making that GS mold?

The green stuff mould I created was very simple. I sculpted the symbol on an empty terminator shoulder pad, then I let it dry completely. I put some silicone oil on it (I bought it for an airsoft gun aeons ago), and I pressed a small amount of green stuff on it, which would be the mould itself. I let it dry there on the shoulder pad! If you try to pull them apart before that, it will deform. When it dries, you can do that easily enough, due to the oil. It doesn't work perfectly, as I still have some work with the new badges, but still it saves me time and effort. You can surely make it better if you experiment on it, this was my first try. You can also find proper tutorials, I was not the one who invented this technique.

General things about the army and wargear problems

For me the story is the most important, but if I'm about to build these plastic models, I'll do it right, according to the rules. Which, unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with. I was thinking of a jump pack army, because that looks good. As to its efficiency... I'm not that sure. I'll add the Alpha Legion as ground force, but the rest are assault squads and Death Company with jump packs. Maybe with a 'counts-as' Commander Dante, if that's possible.

The downside is that I should be able to figure out the wargear before I build the models. I would prefer it the other way around, but that doesn't work. It took me days to get the idea that a power fist and storm shield might work for an assault squad sergeant. And then I have the other sergeant. And the HQ. And the devestators. And the spec weapons for the assault squads. And I just have no idea.

Furthermore, now I'm kind of halfway into pre-heresy. What about chainaxes for the assault marines? Or chain halberds, or those other cool pre-heresy weapons? Wargear is an important part of the appearance, right? It's not just about the rules, but also the look. Should I use them all 'counts-as' weapons, or rather forget about the playability and just go for the look? What do other pre-heresy players do?

Some unimportant things about 'true scale'

I saw pics on the internet and I thought that truescale is more to my taste, and as I love working with knife and green stuff anyway, it was just given that my army would be such. The term 'true scale' though... i think it sounds derogatory to the regular GW models, implying that they are 'false scale'. The truth is that I don't consider it 'truer' than any other scale. I use it only as a term that everyone understands, and I'm not being arrogant about it.

The new raptors look very good!

Hi,

this is not stricktly connected to this topic, but I won't start a new one just for this. I am building a contemptor dreadnought, but I've never seen one yet in person. I need some help.

size.JPG

I'd like to know this 6 distances, and I thought if one of you had a model like this, you might measure these for me. Even if not all 6, it would be a great help.

Thank you, a.

Edit:

Ok, I finally found a reference: I know for sure the size of the base. It took me longer to figure out than I would like to admit :D

• 1 month later...

cpt1.JPG

cpt2.JPG

cpt3.JPG

Captain of the VIII

in his full Crusade-era gear, forming the sign of the Aquila with his hands.

He has a slightly modified Mk3 armour, which is the first 'official' mark I've ever done.

It is made of at least 6 different kind of plastic and resin, so it will look much better when painted.

Let me know what you think

a.

He looks good although his pose does suggest he's about to do the macarena! :)

I think the lowest section of the plasticard at the models crotch could do with a notch taken out of the bottom of it, to keep it in theme with the other 'links' it's connected to. I also think you might want to give him a holstered pistol. :lol:

Wow nice conversions. noob question, but those marines seem taller than usual.

That's because they're truescale. Basically the concept assumes that humans in 40k are already of the appropriate size but marines are not - so they are made larger by the modeller himself. 95% of the time the base model is made from terminator bitz, greenstuff and various other knick knacks. :P

hilariously, none of the 'human' (and I use this term loosely) armies are actually true scale. IG come closest, but their vehicles are lacking in proper size ratio, not to mention the laughable leman russ. Hardly any xenos army is true scale either the only army that can fully claim true scale would be the necrons. Tau and Eldar(both versions) share the same vehicle size ratio issues as IG, orks are technically bigger than even space marines, and well, the little tyranids are sized right (roughly 4 foot length from head to tail tip), however, the big bugs are tiny in comparison to their true scale ratio.

In the end, it is all about representation on the board, it only really seems that SM/CSM players actually gripe the size ratios, but then, the hobbyist in me loves seeing the conversion work that people put into their models so it's all the same to me... lol

By the by, apart from looking a tad on the thin side, your Iron Warriors look great!

hilariously, none of the 'human' (and I use this term loosely) armies are actually true scale. IG come closest, but their vehicles are lacking in proper size ratio, not to mention the laughable leman russ.

He is talking about the human models, not vehicles.

Thanks everyone.

Have you cast your own terminator parts, they don't look like the normal plastic colour?

Actually someone else from the local community cast them. I'm just about getting into casting, I'm learning about the technique, but I don't have any of the materials yet.

Indeed they are taller than the usual because of what Olisredan said. Another possible viewpoint for truescale is the proportions of the marine itself. This is what matters mostly to me. Considering the head as the right scale, you'll need a larger body to resemble to the artwork. If you are intersted, Zeruvar, search for Doghouse's truescale tutorial.

Olisredan, I've never heard about macarena, but now that you say, I see you're right. :P You learn something every day :D

edit:

I almost forgot, Olisredan, concerning the plasticard links, I based it on this(the closest standard bearer), where the bottom edge of the last one is straight. And I never even considered a pistol, I'll think on that, thanks.

Archived