Dark Angels Troop Choices

antacidbrn

I am new to Dark Angels, having only learned about them from the recent Dark Vengeance box. I was leafing through the "old" codex at my local GW and One of the most surprising things for me, as a Blood Angels player is that there was one troop choice: Tactical Squad.

Am I understanding this correctly? BA has Death Company, Assault Squads, Scouts, and Tacticals plus special characters unlock even more options. DA, it appears have character to unlock Deathwing and Ravenwing. I am usually against taking these special characers because I am a big fan of 500-1000 point games and it seems crazy that a special elite character like Smmael would show up to lead a small group of troops.

Have other DA players noticed the same thing? Are there more troop choices coming?

Yup, you are correct. We only got one troop choice, if we don't count the "unlockable" rawenwing and deathwing choices.

To my knowledge there are no new troop types coming except the ones we already got. Although one of the rumours I've come across states that we don't need to unlock the wings. That you can take the different choices right of the bat.

Personally, I don't really care. Tac squads are all I need. I would not protest to more elite slots though :D

Yep, only one troop choice.

You have to realize this codex was developed when 4th edition came out and GW was trying to streamline the army creating process. AKA taking all the fun out and giving a very plain codex. Take a look at the current Eldar/Chaos codex. They are very plain, a lot more options than us yes. But very very plain.

It is what it is. The Dark Angels were one of the first Codex's released for 4th edition. At the time, GW said this was the direction the game was taking- less choice, the better, to streamline and make it faster. We all shrugged, and said OK. When the Chaos Codex dropped and it was just as bad... apparently that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The Space Marine Codex dropped, and it was obvious GW had abandoned the "Less is More" game design and Codex Creep returned in full force.

New Dark Angels Codex soon! Hopefully, it has Mechanical Lions!

edited for 4th Edition reference. Haven't had enough coffee yet this morning

I am very interested in this codex! (I guess I have to suffer through the Chaos junk first). Sure, Tacticals are pretty good, but when you have been spolied with so many choices, its hard to take a step back. Why do the scouts come as elites for Dark Angels, aren't they supposed to be the newest recruits?

I am very interested in this codex! (I guess I have to suffer through the Chaos junk first). Sure, Tacticals are pretty good, but when you have been spolied with so many choices, its hard to take a step back. Why do the scouts come as elites for Dark Angels, aren't they supposed to be the newest recruits?

Scouts in all the other PA Codex's got moved into the Troops section and then given a BS of 3. They were also given a lot more wargear and skills the DA Don't have. Again, we have what I like to call a 'Sub-Par Power Armor Codex' with fewer wargear options, fewer units, that cost more points then similarly named units from other Codexs.

If you want to use the DA Codex now, be sure you download the DA FAQ for 6th Edition. It really, really helps out the DA on the table. Doesn't make them perfect, but it does give us more options.

That's one thing they did that never made since. Personally I'd love to see our scouts get the Wolf scout treatment; that would at least justify the elite slot. The fact that we also don't have a Blood Claw equivalent would lend credence to the thought process that we are shooting heavy chapter. IT would also be nice if all of our elite troops were BS5

I am usually against taking these special characers because I am a big fan of 500-1000 point games and it seems crazy that a special elite character like Smmael would show up to lead a small group of troops.

Actually...ravenwing is very fluffy in a small game, they're supposed to be conducting reconaissance in very small packets...it is unfortunate that you have to take sammy to unlock that, though...

As for deathwing, well, belial is insanely cheap, and him and a libby personally leading a strike force of ten terminators to capture one of the fallen...insanely fluffy! And it just so happens that belial, a termie libby with combi-flamer, and two squads of thundernators, each with a CML, comes out to precisely 750 points...and an insanely nasty 750 points, too!

I am usually against taking these special characers because I am a big fan of 500-1000 point games and it seems crazy that a special elite character like Smmael would show up to lead a small group of troops.

Actually...ravenwing is very fluffy in a small game, they're supposed to be conducting reconaissance in very small packets...it is unfortunate that you have to take sammy to unlock that, though...

As for deathwing, well, belial is insanely cheap, and him and a libby personally leading a strike force of ten terminators to capture one of the fallen...insanely fluffy! And it just so happens that belial, a termie libby with combi-flamer, and two squads of thundernators, each with a CML, comes out to precisely 750 points...and an insanely nasty 750 points, too!

Everything looks fine except the H. Flamer. This I believe is not an option for DAs Company Veterans...

Well, I don't believe any of The Fallen are Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Orks, Grey Knights or Eldar. It seems like that is who I tend to end up playing the most.

small deathwing armies are fluffy too. they rarely employ the whole company to catch one fallen. 1000 pts is also the sweet spot for DW army efficiency.

Any suggestion on 1k DW army? If it's inappropriate to post it here, considering the OP, please pm it to me! If you don't mind the trouble that is...

Archived